Protect yourself online
flcombs's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 12:42 AM

Closed

Getting rid of email ad

Is there any way to permanently get rid of the right-side email ad in the inbox?  

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hey there flcombs!

If you are referring to how to manage the advertising, here are some instructions that you might find helpful! 

Thanks for  your post!  ~Delia

You can opt in or out of Internet-based ads at any time. Just follow these steps:

1. In your inbox, hover over the Gear Icon in the top right corner of the page.
  2. Select About our Ads.
  3. Select Manage.
  4. If the Ad Interest Manager is off, you'll see an option to Opt In.
  5. If the Ad Interest Manager is on, you'll see an option to adjust your settings and an option to Opt Out.

We have enhanced the automated system that scans mail content to provide email. It now detects keywords so that new features and relevant ads can be displayed. If you prefer, the detection of keywords for the purpose of displaying new features and relevant content can be turned off. Visit privacy.yahoo.com/aim to opt out of email scanning or to learn more about this service.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I PAY FOR MY E-MAIL ACCOUNT AS PART OF MY DSL SERVICE.

Is there any way to provide paying users ad free e-mail?

I want to opt out of Yahoo mail ads too.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I also would like to add to this conversation that after being a customer of AT&T for internet for over 25 years, I hate this new att.yahoo.com email interface.  I find the sponsored ads very unnecessary.  I also find the loss of the ability to sort my mails on any of the columns shown is difficult for finding what I need when I need it.  

I have made all the changes to the managing of the ads via the settings but they still show up.  I have another account with Yahoo which I have upgraded to Plus and get none of these.  I would expect for the prices we pay to AT&T for this internet services, it should be free of any ads or intelligence gathering opportunities for AT&T or others.  

It truly does not matter which browser you use you will continue to get these.  The only other option would be a email client and then hopefully there is the possibility of getting our emails via an IMAP protocol versus POP.  That way they all stay on the AT&T server and not on the computer being used.  

Any solutions on how to approach this?  I have many different services with AT&T and am considering moving to another wireless company which offers all these same features - home phone, internet and wireless as a bundle.  

Just venting but also willing to take my money where it is appreciated.  

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

10 years ago

I use a free app called AdBlocker Plus.  It's well known and has never seemed to cause me any trouble.  Google it.  There are different versions for Internet Explorer and FireFox.  Perhaps others also.

Scholar

• 

251 Messages

10 years ago

@hpmsrm wrote:

I use a free app called AdBlocker Plus.  It's well known and has never seemed to cause me any trouble.  Google it.  There are different versions for Internet Explorer and FireFox.  Perhaps others also.

From my experience, AdBlock Plus works better with Firefox than IE.  I see no ads of any kind with the Firefox and AdBlock Plus combo.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I totally agree with this member.  I don't want a sponsored ad in my mailbox.  If I want to look at ads, I search them out for myself.  Fix this problem, ATT or give users an option to eliminate them.  Stop pushing ads on us. We know you want to make money but c'mon, really?    Let the consumer decide.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

10 years ago

@hpmsrm wrote:

I found AdBlock for Google Chrome.  Only seconds to download to Chrome browser and now no longer see the sponsored ads! Thanks very much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.