Protect yourself online
Drachealia's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 8:23 PM

Cancelling DSL and Want to Keep sbcglobal.net E-Mail Address

We are going to be cancelling our AT&T DSL due to the slow speed and inability to get any faster speed at our home (when we are lucky we get download speeds that sometime peak at 670kb or so per sec with DSL whereas with Comcast which we just installed, we are averaging 6.8 MB/sec, an absolutely breathtaking change).  I have had my current sbcglobal.net e-mail address for over 10 years and want to keep it.  I have read many posts that say, "yes, if I am in good standing after cancelling my DSL I get to keep my e-mail address" but I am wondering if, upon cancellation of my DSL, I can then upgrade my what will then be free e-mail to be an Ad-Free paid account through Yahoo.

My sbcglobal.net e-mail account was never merged with a yahoo.com e-mail ID so there is no account to "unmerge" with.  Can an sbcglobal.net e-mail address no longer linked to a DSL account become an ad free paid account or will I be stuck with the unsupported free mail?

Also, if I only have my sbcglobal.net e-mail as a free account, will I still be able to use POP3 to get my mail through Thunderbird and my Droid phone or will I just be able to use the Web-based interface for the mail (which due to the loss of the Yahoo Classic interface is now terrible)?

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Drachealia@  wrote:

We are going to be cancelling our AT&T DSL due to the slow speed and inability to get any faster speed at our home (when we are lucky we get download speeds that sometime peak at 670kb or so per sec with DSL whereas with Comcast which we just installed, we are averaging 6.8 MB/sec, an absolutely breathtaking change).  I have had my current sbcglobal.net e-mail address for over 10 years and want to keep it.  I have read many posts that say, "yes, if I am in good standing after cancelling my DSL I get to keep my e-mail address" but I am wondering if, upon cancellation of my DSL, I can then upgrade my what will then be free e-mail to be an Ad-Free paid account through Yahoo.

My sbcglobal.net e-mail account was never merged with a yahoo.com e-mail ID so there is no account to "unmerge" with.  Can an sbcglobal.net e-mail address no longer linked to a DSL account become an ad free paid account or will I be stuck with the unsupported free mail?

Also, if I only have my sbcglobal.net e-mail as a free account, will I still be able to use POP3 to get my mail through Thunderbird and my Droid phone or will I just be able to use the Web-based interface for the mail (which due to the loss of the Yahoo Classic interface is now terrible)?

Thank you in advance.

Although you can keep your AT&T related email accounts, the only support after 60 days is automated web-based support. So keep your passwords and security question answers handy. If you have not created your security questions, do so. You can also enter a cell number to have the password reset texted to, as well. If the account gets "broken", you will not be able to call AT&T or Yahoo about it. You will also lose POP/IMAP access to the account.

If you're not interested in keeping the AT&T account and just want the messages from the inbox folder, then use a third party POP client like Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, etc. to download the messages to your computer.

If I'm not mistaken, after your AT&T/Yahoo account transitions to a free account, you can go to my.yahoo.com sign in with your AT&T/Yahoo id and find options to transition your free AT&T/Yahoo account to a free Yahoo account, from (username@sbcglobal.net) to (username@yahoo.com). The process is supposed to bring all your old data over to the new account. After that you should be able to transition you new free Yahoo account into a paid Yahoo account.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Accepted Solution

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

9 years ago

Hello, @oochin!

Thanks for posting. You should be able to keep your email address even if you cancel your service; you will just need to make sure your email address is unmerged from your AT&T account, here is how.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thunderbird and my Android operating system mobile phone or i will just be able to use the web-based interface for the e-mail (which due to the deficiency of the search engines conventional interface is now terrible)

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Wschmit@  wrote:

Thunderbird NO and my Android operating system mobile phone MAYBE or i will just be able to use the web-based interface for the e-mail (which due to the deficiency of the search engines conventional interface is now terrible)

No POP or IMAP access.

Not sure about Android, but can forward your AT&T email to Gmail, I believe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I've had DSL and @att.net e-mail addresses since it was AT&T DSL powered by Covad. Then it became Covad DSL, then Megapath, and now Global Capacity. When I cancel the current Global Capacity account, can I still keep the @att.net e-mail addresses? I also have AT&T landline phone service and DirecTV, if that makes any difference.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for your answer. But according to the unmerge instructions, it sounds like I will lose the @att.net version of the e-mail address and will have to switch to @yahoo.net. Is this correct?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

This second reply is the one I was looking for. I consider it an Accepted Solution:

Hello,

After the services are terminated you will still be able to retain the email addresses as they will remain open free att.net email accounts. If you have any other questions or issues pelase let us know.

Thank you,
David T. - AT&T Social Media Manager
Office Hours: Fri-Tue 4p-1a Central

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Latelly, it seems, a few folks are asking about unmerging their now free att accounts from yahoo, and how to do this.

You just got instractions on how to do this (which i hope worked for you.)

As a favor to other forum members looking for the soulution you received, could you please mark it an an accepted solution so it can be found?  Thank you very much.

Just another att customer, trying to help out others.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Computer Joe,

Two years ago you posted an answer to a user question about availability of SBCGlobal e-mail after leaving AT&T.  Your answer was mostly clear except the part regarding POP e-mail.  

You commented that POP/IMAP access to mail will no longer be available after leaving. You said that departed users will need to use the web interface. But then a few sentences later you mention that (post-leaving) you can fetch your e-mail via Thunderbird.  

How would Thunderbird get the received e-mails without using POP/IMAP?

Are you saying that departed users will be able to fetch inbound mail via POP/IMAP but not send new e-mails via POP/SMTP/IMAP?

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I believe that the Computer Joe was advising people to download their messages with a mail client before they lose the POP/IMAP connection ability so that they have a local copy of everything.

However, since all of Yahoo's free accounts offer POP and IMAP access, I don't understand why free AT&T/Yahoo accounts wouldn't also retain that access.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.