For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Phlegmy420's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 8:11 PM

AT&T does nothing but lie, and WHERE IS MY TECH!?

Hello guys,

Since friday I have had high latency spikes. It will be completely fine acceptable 60ms ping say on teamspeak servers. Then it will spike to 1500ms, then slowly go back down, then slowly go back up. This is making me not able to play online games very much as I am very much a gamer. The odd part is it seems isolated to my machine and is wired. I did 4 virus scans and cleans. I get plenty of NetBIOS dropped in my gateway log and not sure what that means. The tech support since August has done line tests and says it's fine, then they spot an error, then they don't. So I have intermittent errors going in the line and not sure if it's even related. Since I have had DSL I indefinatly get huge ping spikes as well when I upload. 

As far as a tech coming out, It's Tuesday and he still won't show up!! They claim due to a high work load and few techs in the area they are unsure what date and time I will eventually get one!

I am so so so sick and tired and done with AT&T. I fought for months convincing them that I could get Uverse. The data caps are horrifying for regular DSL....I just can't take the lies anymore.

I am forced to use them however because they are the only available ISP in the area :(.

Even the DSL tech who installed DSL in the first place, never made sure we were online before he left and neglected to tell us we had a wrong modem and told us to set up the modem ourselves and was very unprofessional and even told us it was his "first and last stop of the day".

Before I moved I had Comcast cable, and was always promised a technician within a 2 hour window, never had issues with the cable internet, ran at 57mbps (they doubled our speed package without cost). Gave us a new modem when it got fried and no service cost.

AT&T should be ashamed....

I am so depressed, angry, and frustrated about my problems with them!

Thanks,

Phlegmy

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, Phlegmy420!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your DSL. We would appreciate the opportunity to investigate further, so please click here to send us a private message with your contact information, the best time to reach you, and a brief summary of the issues.

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen. In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the reply Mariana,

I have sent some log files, dsl link error info, and a summary of my heck I've been going through since August 5th when I received DSL installation. As well as my contact info...hopefully someone with enough competence will get me a technician and further explain what these mean. I'm beginning to think those Netbios drops are also overloading the modem causing drops from the game I've been playing and such. As it seems from different country ips as the source sounds fishy to me like denial of service attacks even though most use UDP and my packet loss would go through the roof if it was effective. To my knowledge nobody uses netbios anymore. I'm just tired of the incompetence. You guys as community managers have been a big help to me so far more so than regular TS/CS people. It's almost as if they read a script and don't know what to say or have no knowledge of these errors and dsl link errors and so forth. I'm also concerned about the router logs saying certain websites I go to are "hijacked" I read those can mean someone is phishing for personal information.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

10 years ago

I had the same type of issues man and know where you are coming from. My ping stays around 30 and for whatever reason at random times EACH day I get spikes that go anywhere from 200-500 and then back down.  They see no errors on their end.  So I got pingplotter to show them what hops the problem was occuring at.  I got them the results and am waiting to hear back.  Have you had any luck trying to pinpoint where the problem may be?

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

No luck pinpointing the problem, I did have a couple nasty looking backdoor viruses however removed but that didn't help, even factory defaulted the modem. Since the ip is so dynamic you'd think any denial of service attack would stop, so I believe it's isolated to my machine because every wireless device in the house I know of and there are several never drops or has issues.

You'd think with 4 different virus scans I'd be clean, I even reset my hosts file. I've done everything I can think of. Ironically Trojan Killer and Malware Bytes are the two that detected the backdoor viruses. Usually when a denial of service attack hits successfully you go completely offline, and a VPN will always save you. So I'm not sure what to think anymore. Is it a line issue? Is it a virus I seem to not be able to find? My thought is since the Netbios drops happen every reset, they somehow find my ip again and again which leads me to believe it's a RAT or some sort of worm. But I can't seem to locate anything else bad on my machine.

Does your ping spike way up on uploading too like mine always did?

Intermittent problems are the worst but this last weekend was horrible and now things are more stable despite continued NetBios drops.

I've seen a few TCP SYN ones and something called MS DS drops.

I was attempting to install wireshark and do some packet sniffing to help find further info but windows refuses to install Winpcap which is required.

Your lucky though with yours only spiking to 200-300, mine sets at 62ms on teamspeak and then flies to 1500, i've even seen line jitter at 850ms!

I have never heard of pingplotter, perhaps I should look in to this when I get more ping spikes and some point in time. Thanks for that mention...

Also peerblock does something weird like a slave would do from a botnet. It keeps showing greyed out which means I can't block, in my TCP and UDP I believe. Constant high flow of odd ips that almost look like subnet numbers.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

I have downloaded pingplotter and have an issue I noticed when i did a cmd traceroute....

have a look see http://gyazo.com/77bb01f3cd9328df9a8bef42f5b660b6

this is a gif image of just a few seconds of it....no ping issue yet but the 5th hop notice to google.com is 100 percent packet loss??

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

10 years ago

You would think.  I would install malwarebytes to see if that could be an issue.  I have had systems completely lose internet due to malware, so do a scan and see what is going on there.  As far as my spikes go, they are at random times and seem to have no explanation.  I am a gamer, and play on the xbox360.  I notice my connection goes to 2 bars (out of 4) and I begin lagging.  This is a wired connection, and I have a modem in bridge mode with a nighthawk router.  Seems to be something on ATT's end as usual.  But yes I notice big spikes when I upload.  I believe that is due to my slow upload speed.  I know uploading a video to youtube can completely shut me down from watching videos or doing much of anything.  I have 3mbps download and .31 mbps upload.  What speeds are you supposed to be getting?  Pingplotter was nice, and I would recommend getting the freeware version.  

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah sometimes when you have 100% packet loss it is due to firewall.  What I was looking at when I did my tests was where it would give me 33% loss or things like that.  Considering that is within the first 7 hops though, it may be something you want to bring to their attention.  I would at least bring it up.  try doing a route to google.com and see what happens.  Make sure you run it when the problem is occuring too.  

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Well I as well have an xbox360 and never had any problems with it which is why I think it's this computer that is also wired. The speed I am getting is 5.15mbps download (paid for 6) and 512kb upload which is .50-60mbps.

The 5th hop to google time outs with 100 percent packet loss, and the 6th hop has 20-30 percent so far with acceptable pings. I will continue as it's getting worse (not the ping but certain results in pingblotter) monitor it and give you maybe some results of mine. Now hop 9 and 10 display 10 percent packet loss, but I never get much packet loss. So it's isolated as soon as it hops from att's servers directly to the first google server.

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah it very well could be a problem with that computer.  Do you have another one to do the same tests.  You could also do some a ping test from command prompt.  Do a ping to google there and see what your ms time is.  Your lucky to have 6mbps service.  My situation is I have a 7mbps line and they will not give me 6 due to a capped dslam:( Even though I know the dslam has a slot open.  I can't get anyone to talk to me.  But glad your seeing the problems there with pingplotter.  All I did was take screenshots and sent those to an ATT tech team to get some results.  They are supposed to contact me tomorrow.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

I did a tracert and once again, 6th hop on www.google.com timed out

The first time I ran it I got a "general failure".

I don't know what this means but somehow it don't like the hop from att to google even though i can access google just fine?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.