Posted Jan 26, 2012
7:42:56 PM
AT&T Email instructs for POP, but it now requires IMAP

A couple of days ago, my AT&T email (XXX@bellsouth.net) on my Mac stopped working, saying that the username and password were invalid.  I chatted with AT&T tech support, and they had no clue.  They wanted me to pay for ConnecTech, and they said it was a Mac issue.  WRONG!!!!!

However, email for my bellsouth.net acccount worked just fine on my iPhone.

It seems that AT&T is NO LONGER providing POP support, so that if you enter inbound.att.net as your POP server, it will fail. Since the service is provided by Yahoo, it turns out that they are providing email service via IMAP.  So the solution is to add an IMAP account using the IMAP server imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 993 with SSL.  Depending on your email client, you may have to fudge things a bit to get the email client to accept that your AT&T (in my case bellsouth.net) email is coming in through IMAP and not POP.

So either AT&T (or is it Yahoo) fixes the POP server, or just tells people how to connect to AT&T email via IMAP.

The FixItMan has now told you how to fix this problem for free, instead of paying for tech support.

AT&T Email instructs for POP, but it now requires IMAP

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2012 11:13:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have been batteling with the simple pleasures of getting/sending e-mails on multiple devices, having consistant issues with connections here and there.  Attempting to change SSL servers, outbound.att.net, imap.yahoo......  UHG!  I'm not sure what it all means anymore!   Somewhere amongst these changes I have lost all my calendar entries imputted on our old "sbcglobal" address (which was specifically requested to keep), when we moved and changed to att.net.

IN SUMMARY:

We have two "______@sbcglobal.net" and two "____@att.net" addresses

Anything but simple:

one family computer: IMAC OSX 21.5, one work MacBookPro, 2 ipads, 3 iphones, and... well I guess that will do it.

Trying to streamline email's between all these devices is enough to drive anyone INSANE.

A "NICE TO HAVE":

I'm not sure if somehow manipulating adding an email account using IMAP instead of YAHOO is possible?  I would be one HAPPY customer if AT&T would partner with Yahoo to figure out this IMAP possibility.  My husband is an employee at AT&T, so is it right to give business to another domain to keep things simple?  I shouldn't answer that question.

Can anyone help?

Re: AT&T Email instructs for POP, but it now requires IMAP

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2012 11:17:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

My AT&T email accounts (xxxx@sbcglobal.net) just developed the same problem described by FixItMan in January. After stumbling around for more than an hour, I finally just created new accounts in Apple Mail, which automatically created the accounts as IMAP accounts.  I moved all of the sent mail into a new folder that I created On My Mac before deleting the old POP accounts.  (I have sent mail going back 13 years saved on my hard disk that I did not want to lose.)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2012 1:42:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

I would consider going this route if all 4 of my email accounts had the same problem in Windows Vista Mail, but the fact is, 2 accounts 2 work fine and 2 accounts fail authentication.

Main Email address fails

Sub Email 1 Fails

sub Email 2 success

Sub Email 3 success

How can this be?  Just started yesterday...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2012 3:51:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem with my Apple Mail and AT&T/Yahoo! email also. Strange thing. My main sub-account, that remained under  POP, kept functioning throughout the problems. My primary email was the first to go offline for no reason more than a year ago.

I had the same experience with AT&T on the phone.  During testing and remote on my computer, with a high Apple tech, the status lights were changing as we watched. She said the lights shouldn't behave that way. I called AT&T and they acted like nothing was going on when I feel they knew darn well there was. They blamed Apple Mail after a few perfunctory attempts to solve the issue like, "I tested your line and it's fine so it must be Apple Mail". 

For at least a year one address was always offline and in recent months more began to go offline for no apparent reason.  I'd pick at the problem occasionally to no avail.  Recently, I noticed that when I removed one of the problem emails from the account list in Apple Mail preferences, and put it back on, the settings were for IMAP. After that, it worked(At least today it is).That seemed odd because after that, I took a picture, of the reliable sub account email settings, and they were definitely  POP.

I removed each Email address in the accounts list and then added it back, just tonight, 8/18/2012, and they all work now. They are all using IMAP now. I bravely converted my reliable one and it converted to IMAP automatically and works. Whew.

Why can't AT&T tell  the phone people and the customer about this? It doesn't build up my trust. That's for sure. What could possibly make it necessary to handle things this way?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2012 2:19:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

Go to r.yahoo.com and after signing to your email account....add your mobile number and follow the instructions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2012 2:23:42 AM
(0)
Contributor
You have to click on continue to this website (not recommended) if that is the screen that comes up

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2013 2:21:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi FixItMan!

I also had the same problem and am currently using my Ipad and Iphone to get my email instead of my desktop Imac.  A serious pain.  I changed pop.att.yahoo.com to IMAP.mail.yahoo.com and under the Advanced tab in Apple Mail I putthe port to 993 and checked use SSL.  i quit Apple Mail and then restarted it.  It did not connect.  I tried the download email icon (envelope) in Apple Mail and all it did was beep at me as if there was no mail to download.  I know for a fact that there are about 200 emails out there.  When you said fudge what does that exactly mean?

Thanks for your help!  MJ  (I'm also bellsouth.net)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 24, 2013 9:50:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Domain POP Server / Port SMTP Server / Port SSL Required? POP3 User ID/User Name Protocol Type bellsouth.net

inbound.att.net / 995outbound.att.net / 465YesCustomerID@bellsouth.netPOP3

I would try the above POP3 settings for your account.  As for IMAP, the settings already mentioned are correct.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2013 3:57:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been with ATT since their beginnig. They have hit rock bottom in customer service.

My wife and I spent hours & days a few months ago when ATT mail was having big issues with their network and Apple  mail/ devices.  We got it to work on our MACs no thanks to ATT then but it likely had nothing to do with our devices in the first place since the same issues came back 2 weeks ago and I did nothing with ATT or our ATT home network. Everything began working again 2 weeks later by changing nothing on my devices! Three days later the same problem again that you cannot get email on any account through any ATT DSL, Unverse or cellular network!

I called ATT to give them one more chance to correct the situation but instead was told they do not support Apple products! I found this interesting since I bought 6 iPhones from the ATT store over the past 6 years and they worked fine. They suggested I call ConnecTech which tried to get me to sign up for a service to fix what ATT should do to maintain it's customers!  These sharks couldn't even answer the question "How long have you been tasked by ATT to resolve these issues?". I know the reason is that ATT does not have an answer so they have contracted with an IT group to simply handle these service calls on a fee basis for inherent unreliability in their email infrastructure.

ATT has to the end of this month to get their act together or I will be forced to cancel all home network, office and mobile services and bring my business to a company which I can count on.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 30, 2013 1:46:01 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am glad you got it working and were able to tell about your great accomplishment. However, it is useless to the community when you fail to provide the details of the solution fore everyone else to see. So, please, when you have a solution post all the details!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 30, 2013 1:47:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Great Mr fix it. Now provide the details of the settings required so we have a post with a solution.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 30, 2013 1:55:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Did you come up with the solution to the setup of IMAP for sbcglobal.net on the mac desktop using Apple Mail? If so post complete set up solution.