Posted May 7, 2014
5:04:30 PM
Surge Protector

A customer service somebody told me today that it is a known problem in the Uverse community that surge protectors cause ground issues with the equipment, and those ground issues could be the reason for my issues.

Does anyone know if there is some truth to that? If this is the case, I need to figure out another solution, as I only have 4 outlets on that wal, and 6 TV-related things to plug in. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 7, 2014 5:45:23 PM
(0)
Expert
If the surge protector is working properly, devices plugged into it will be just as grounded as being plugged into the wall.

Accepted Solution

Surge Protector

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 7, 2014 5:45:23 PM
(0)
Expert
If the surge protector is working properly, devices plugged into it will be just as grounded as being plugged into the wall.

Re: Surge Protector

2 of 7 (835 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2014 6:42:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know this to be true. I use surge protectors at work every day, and ground issues are easily identified and corrected. I know that mine are in good condition. The CSR said that the first step was to lose the power strip, and if I didn't, she couldn't help me further. 

Thanks for confirming what I thought. There  is no known issue that is caused by a surge protector...obviously unless it is broken.

3 of 7 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2014 3:40:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have multiple UVerse STB/DVR on a surge protector with no issues.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2014 8:05:54 AM
(0)
Explorer

I have always had surge protectors that I used with my uverse equipment without any type of grounding, or other, issue. What issue are you having? 

5 of 7 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2014 6:46:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have been having A LOT of problems with my NVG589 shutting down and rebooting itself for no apparent reason, and I was told to unplug from the surge protector and plug directly to the wall.  Apparently, this modem is very 'sensitive'.  

6 of 7 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2014 10:58:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Voltage can drop so low that incandescant bulbs dim to 50% intensity.  Even that is perfectly good voltage for a modem.  However an adjacent protector can cause other complications. With each additional 'unknown', a problem becomes exponentially more complex.  Tech support needs a modem connected directly to a wall receptacle to eliminate many complexities.

You have assumed the tech's request is somehow related to voltage.  It is not.  That protector can create other complications.

7 of 7 (642 Views)