For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
giodude_1's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, August 16th, 2013 5:46 PM

How to connect residential gateway(RG) at structured wiring panel for internet and uverse voice

I have a Leviton structured wiring panel located in the middle of a newly constructed home.  All of the CAT6 ethernet cable from the wall jacks (phone and data) is routed to the structured wiring panel.  There are currently no data or phone modules installed in the structured wiring panel.  I have a single CAT 6 cable running from the home exterior phone box (NID?) to the structured panel.  What would the connection options look like from the NID to the RG(or structured panel) and out to the RJ11 phone jacks?  Should the CAT 6 cable connect directly to the RG data port and how is the VOIP signal distributed to the 4 phone wall jacks located throughout the house?  Do I need or should I have a phone module or phone punchdown block installed in wiring panel that the RG phone data port connects to?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

First here is a picture of the RG.  It might not look exactly like this depending on which one you get, but all of the connections are basically the same on them.

First the cable running from the outside NID to the panel will connect to the location marked 7 (green) in the picture above.  That will get the U-verse signal to the residential gateway (RG).  Once that's connected your dial tone for the phones will come out of the location marked 8 (black) and that will need to go to your 4 phone jacks throughout the house.

You can buy something like this:

Plug it into the line port 8 (black) and then use RJ-11 line cords to plug from this device to each port on the patch panel where you want to plug in a telephone.

As for the data you have several options.  If you are going to exceed 4 locations you will probably need a data switch.  AT&T sells one here: Netgear 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch - Equipment at AT&T.  The RG and this 8 port switch will allow you to connect 10 hardwired devices.  All you would need for the data to connect is some Cat 6 patch cords.  You can buy those here: Cat 6 Network Cables - Monoprice.com

Hope that helps.  Post back with any questions.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello giodude, beebeesa offered an excellent explanation to distribute your internet and phone services for your home. If space is an issue within your wiring panel you can use the punch-down block as long as you are linked to the phone connection on the Residential Gateway displayed as (8) on the image above. The punch-down block should be color coded to match the pairs on the cable.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much for the responses.  So, just to cofirm I can punch down the cable from the phone

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

sorry for the partial post.  my ipad is giving me fits. So, just to confirm, I can punch down the phone line coming from the RG (8) to the "demarcation" connection on the phone module to distribute my phone service to my phone jacks?

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, the line that is connected to the Phone port (8) on the Residential Gateway can be used to service your phone distribution block.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.