Get the myAT&T app
CellDaddy's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 11:04 PM

Lollipop for Moto X is "Pending Partner Support" - When Is That?

According to the Motorola website, both generations of the Moto X "... will be upgraded to the Android 5 Lollipop release of Android, pending partner support."

The big gotcha is the part about "pending partner support." My attempts to get a concrete answer from anyone connected to AT&T have gotten nowhere. Instead I receive the typical vagueness, stalling and attempts to divert my attention that carriers try whenever there's an Android upgrade.

Has anyone had success with AT&T in finding out when - or if - the Moto X will receive the upgrade to Lollipop? Has AT&T committed to a definite time? (Not "we're hoping to deliver the upgrade by ...")

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Carriers do not disclose update plans.  That away they dont have mad customers if they miss the date.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

9 years ago

No, that's not true. Furthermore, it's lame. When they are ready to release an update, carriers advertise this well. I would be satisfied if someone connected to AT&T would say "the truth is, I don't know when - or even if - AT&T will support Android 5 on your phone." At least they're being honest. You can fault AT&T for not supporting the upgrade, but you can't say they aren't being forthright about it. I can't even get a straight answer.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

as I said you will not find that answser.  Att does not disclose when an os update will be released.  A few days before its released you will find a change log maybe.

If you want timley updates I suggest a nexus device.  Im up to 5.0.1 on my nexus 6,5, and 4.

If you can find me a table that any carrier has released that says when upgrades are to take place please post it.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I'll add a comment, even though I am new and not an ATT customer, yet. Still have Verizon until I switch at the end of the month.

Verizon is NO faster than ATT on updates; my Droid Maxx is still waiting for an ugrade and I would bet it will not happen since I will be turning the phone off when I switch. 

My feelings on updates to software is better late and bug free vs. early and full of bugs. 

I had the infamous Droid X update to (I believe) it was Honeycomb and it about killed the phone and it took Moto and Verizon many months to get it back to the way it operated prior to the update.

Later updates to later phones went better, but it took Verizon forever to get them out to the customer. Which, as I implied is better than getting an update full of bugs that will make you a lot more upset than waiting for updates. Especially if your phone currently operates with no problems.

Just some thoughts during a blizzard in ID.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @CellDaddy

I’d be happy to help with the highly anticipate update to Lollipop for your Moto X! I can confirm that as of right now, you are correct. We do not know when Android 5.0 will be available on the device.  You can bet however that we’ll release it as soon as we possibly can. Once available you will be notified on the device that it is available to download.

Thanks!

Charise

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is absurd. The unlocked version of the phone works perfectly fine, even while connected to AT&T (a friend has one). The update has been available for nearly two months. This kind of response makes me wish I waited another month before purchasing my phone so that I could have got the version I wanted unlocked. What's the point of getting a phone that has basically stock android if I won't get the newest versions for months?

You suck AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I agree with rlane32.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

What your unlocked version of the phone lacks is the AT&T software.
(For the record, this is for most carrier versions, not sim unlocked phones)

When a phone is produced for a carrier, by a cell manufacturer, it includes carrier specific software.
When updates roll out from the manufacturer, it goes to the carrier, then BACK to the manufacturer to program all the carrier updates with the manufacturer updates. Otherwise, you can imagine the carrier software may fail to operate properly. A few bug fixes are expected.
You may have heard of updates being released for a few phones and complaints ensue. This is why carriers release updates slowly, so they can catch and fix bugs before releasing to every cell phone.

So would you like your update fast, or bug free?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So it's defintely coming, right? There is just no date yet at this time?

Thanks,

Kat

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.