For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
islandgirl7's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 22nd, 2014 4:58 PM

How to STOP automatic AT&T Software Updates??

How do I STOP automatic software updates?

Everytime there is a system update, my cell phone gets screwed up.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

what op system?  If its android you have 3 times to deny the update then it will do it on its own

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have an android, galaxy 3.

it won't let me force stop it.

I keep on pressing "remind me later"

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

If its android you have 3 times to deny the update then it will do it on its own. This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! If i refuse they have no right to change MY equipment.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Integr8er wrote:
If its android you have 3 times to deny the update then it will do it on its own. This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE! If i refuse they have no right to change MY equipment.

I bet they do.

I'd think it's probably in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you activated the phone or in the plan contract. You did read it, didn't you?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Yes of course I read it, and you are right they have a legal right just as I have a legal right to root my phone. I suppose what I should have said was to just stop at this is unacceptable, and I plan to persue the root my phone route for now. The REALLY bad thing is AT&T forces the dam update even if you are on your data plan, not WIFI. Anyway to your point I would really like to find a Phone OS that I pay for rather than one that makes their money from capturing my data

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Uhm you need to understand that I did not license the use of this phone or it's software from AT&T nor did I accept any type of compensation for it's use. I purchased it outright in full on day one. The terms in Sec 10.1 refer to my use of THEIR software, as in it is copyrighted and thus I can't edit THEIR website or re-use THEIR inellectual property, That is far different from saying they have a right to use MY hardware as they please. As far as Sec 3.1 goes.

Your Device must be compatible with, and not interfere with, our Services. The updates they make go WAYYYYY beyond not interfereing with their system, and the rest is about your phone being locked which is unacceptable when a phone was purchased full price with no support from AT&T, which mine was. But I do thank you for reminding me they told me they would send me my unlock code a long long time ago and guess what they never did...... I think I'll give them a call.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

You accepted it by purchasing the device. It's as simple as that. You purchase a branded phone you are bound to the terms of it.

The software is not yours. The hardware, sure. The operating system and bootloader you do not own. You are licensed to use it and that's it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Integr8er wrote:

Uhm you need to understand that I did not license the use of this phone or it's software from AT&T nor did I accept any type of compensation for it's use. I purchased it outright in full on day one.

The only way I know to stop the automatic software updates is to get an iPhone...

I'm pretty confident that you also accepted a software license agreement when you first got that phone (either when you opened the package or when you set that phone up) that's in addition to the wireless agreement. 

Probably some version of this:

• You agree to abide by the rules and policies established from time to time by AT&T.
  • Such rules and policies may include, for example, required or automated updates, modifications, and/or reinstallations of the Application and obtaining available patches to address security, interoperability or performance issues.
  • These obligations survive termination of this License.
  • I like that last one. Zoinks! These are all from section 2.2.

Please note, I'm not saying you should have read this document. I'm just saying it obviously exists somewhere and that they had you agree to it. 

I'm not saying this is the exact version you agreed to, so no point nitpicking it apart. I'm just saying this 20+ page document gives them a bit of say so...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.