Posted Jan 19, 2013
Why doesn't ATT have a unlimited data for Iphones?

How come ATT does not have a unlimited data plan for I phones. There are plans for unlimited data for all their other types of phones. I see that Cellcom and a few other companies have unlimited data for I phones. I was very dissapointed when I found this out. I have been a customer with ATT since 1998. They have always been good to me. I would hate to have to change phone companies now but if I can save some money I would have to. 

Why doesn't ATT have a unlimited data for Iphones?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2013
(0)
ACE - Expert

dioriol64 wrote:

How come ATT does not have a unlimited data plan for I phones. There are plans for unlimited data for all their other types of phones. I see that Cellcom and a few other companies have unlimited data for I phones. I was very dissapointed when I found this out. I have been a customer with ATT since 1998. They have always been good to me. I would hate to have to change phone companies now but if I can save some money I would have to. 

There are NO Unlimited Data plans for ANY Smartphones..the only Unlimited Data Plan you are seeing is for a NON Smartphone.

An iPhone is NO different than any other Smartphone...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why doesn't ATT have a unlimited data for Iphones?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 20, 2013
(0)
Mentor

There is no income growth potential in unlimited plans.  It's not about unlimited voice minutes or texts anymore--it's all about data.

read the fine print of current carriers offering "unlimited" data plans.  You'll find that in practice, there are soft caps on all of them. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 2, 2014
(0)
Teacher

Zeeb wrote:

There is no income growth potential in unlimited plans.  It's not about unlimited voice minutes or texts anymore--it's all about data.

read the fine print of current carriers offering "unlimited" data plans.  You'll find that in practice, there are soft caps on all of them. 

This is actually not true. Its more productive for a company to have unlimited data plans, or massive data plans. Think of the Google investment principle. Google not only makes its money by ads, but most of its income comes from how much there system is used. The more that users use google applications the more that there is a need for investment. Their network becomes more important and more wroth. AT&T is not going to give you unlimited data without charging you more. As there network grows the more expensive it is to maintain all the cell towers and not to mention how expensive it is to send zeros and ones through the wireless technology.

Know what I would propose is to have unlimited 3g or 2g instead of unlimited everything. This would cap you down to the current 3g technology or slower 2g (Edge). Even though they are slower, it less expensive to maintain a unlimited data network on those type of technology. And everything above 3g would cost you.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 2, 2014
(0)
ACE - Expert

ato-1141 wrote:

Zeeb wrote:

This is actually not true. Its more productive for a company to have unlimited data plans, or massive data plans. Think of the Google investment principle. Google not only makes its money by ads, but most of its income comes from how much there system is used. The more that users use google applications the more that there is a need for investment. Their network becomes more important and more wroth. AT&T is not going to give you unlimited data without charging you more. As there network grows the more expensive it is to maintain all the cell towers and not to mention how expensive it is to send zeros and ones through the wireless technology.

Know what I would propose is to have unlimited 3g or 2g instead of unlimited everything. This would cap you down to the current 3g technology or slower 2g (Edge). Even though they are slower, it less expensive to maintain a unlimited data network on those type of technology. And everything above 3g would cost you.

One problem with your solution - 2G aka "edge' transciever space is being phased out in areas to open space for LTE transcievers, there are numerous locationsin the US right now that no longer have any form of 2G transcievers. Tower space is limited, fairly expensive and a zoning nightmare to put up new towers so the reuse of out dated and limited transciever technology has little ROI.

Unlimited data was reasonable back in the day when smartphones where primarily a technology used in the business world, now when the technology is more widely accepted the stress on the infrastructure is not justifiable

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2014
(0)
Employee

Unlimited internet cost has a much larger exponential factor based on area than basic capped service.

Wireline service like google is offering is much much more forgiving on bandiwiidth. High usage takes much less of a toll on equipment, and worst case scenario, it's self limiting, (too many people on at once, the internet slow proportionately).  The hardest thing about wireline is the initial cost of wiring which google has the customer pay for.

Wireless service is much much more difficult. Towers take quite of bit of maintenance. The equipment is much more sensitive/(imagine a radio tower trying to to to several hundred or thousand connection simultaneous, without bleeding into each other). Each cell phone is a unique frequency. The new LTE allows for a little bit more fine tuning of the frequency.

FCC only allows a certain range that each company can use.

Basically, unlike the wires, the towers are much more expensive to put up, less reliable, takes more maintenance, and provides less bandwidth/speed. If too many people use it for to much, people start dropping calls ect

Some companies like Sprint, and to a lesser extent T-mobile reinvest most of their money into trying to keep up their infastructure in a small area. Small areas mean less maintenance. They also are a little more conservative in their selection of phones.

AT&T, for better or worse, has a broader coverage area, including in areas that reciever heavy weathering, (require more maintenance). AT&T also spends more money to make sure we have contracts on a very large variety of phones.

Basically, what it boils down to, AT&T doesnt have the infrastructure/budget to provide unlimited or something similar in the broader coverage area, compared to some companies.

Verizon has same difficulty, because they have a simarly large coverage. it's why they no longer offer unlimited either.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.