Need your talk or text logs?
madla's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 15th, 2014 12:41 AM

Upgrade fee plus data plan charge

Not only do you have to pay a $40 upgrade fee, but they will charge you $40 for that line for your data plan even if you have a "shared" data plan and are eligible for an upgrade ( out of contract)

A line is $15 on a shared plan. I wanted to uprgade my son's phone to an Iphone 5C and had two options. 1} ATT Next for 22.50 a month = 37.50 a month total monthly charge for 20 months then back down to 15 after 20 months  or  2) $0 for the phone ( free phone! Yeah right) but $40 a month total for an additional 2 years ( so really $15 + $25) + an additional $40 one time upgrade fee. Guess what they want you to do by doing this? right, pushing you to NEXT. Doing the math, and not counting the $15 a month just to have that line, its $640 with a "free" phone and $450 for going the NEXT route. The have effectively eliminated phone subsidies.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, AT&T had eliminated subsidized phones on the new Shared Data Plans, as have most of the other providers. one way or another, you are going to pay for the phone. Thus the reason for the lower pricing for "out of contract" lines.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

What lower pricing for out of contract lines?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@madla wrote:
What lower pricing for out of contract lines?

The $15/$25 per month you pay for each line is the lower price. The "normal" price per line on mobile share is $40. If your line is out of contract, you get that lower price.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Quite dissapointed that AT&T wants another $1200 from me over two years in order to get the new phones.  Yes, this pricing is effectively ending any subsidy for a new phone.  I will be sending my two iPhone 6's back tomorrow and move my service to T-Mobile or Verizon.   

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Should have read this a few months ago. 

http://eugenedailynews.com/2014/09/upgrading-iphone-6-phone-money/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.