Posted Jan 1, 2012
9:09:48 AM
Smart hone on feature phone plan

I am currently using a Freestyle with unlimited data. I have a samsung smart phone that would like to use but don't want to switch to internet plan. Can I use a smart phone without switching plans or turning off my internet access?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 7, 2012 6:41:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:42:43 AM
You could if you wanted to, but a smartphone data plan would automatically be added to your line because you are no longer using a feature phone. You would be looking at a $15-$25 increase on your bill every month (depending on which data plan you choose) if you want to use your smartphone instead.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Smart hone on feature phone plan

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2012 10:20:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you switched from your Freestyle to your Samsung smartphone, you would not be able to keep your feature phone Unlimited Data plan. You would have to choose between a smartphone plan valued at $15 and $25 per month.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Smart hone on feature phone plan

2 of 7 (2,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 5:57:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

I canNOT simply take my sim card and put it in a smartphone? What are the consequences of doing it?

3 of 7 (2,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 7, 2012 6:41:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jan 7, 2012 at 6:42:43 AM
You could if you wanted to, but a smartphone data plan would automatically be added to your line because you are no longer using a feature phone. You would be looking at a $15-$25 increase on your bill every month (depending on which data plan you choose) if you want to use your smartphone instead.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (2,720 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 7:23:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks

5 of 7 (2,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 2:15:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome!

6 of 7 (2,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 16, 2012 9:37:26 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Jan 17, 2012 at 6:27:21 AM

I went through this with support.  You have to have data with a smart phone.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a chat representative to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Derek {Personal content removed}'

Derek {Personal content removed}: You want to know if the sales department has a chat, is this correct?

: Yes??

Derek {Personal content}: At this time our sales department does not have a online chat.

: a phone number perhaps then and how late are they open??

Derek {Personal content removed}: Are you looking to start a new service or upgrade a phone?

: upgrade but not sure

Derek {Personal content removed}: You are able to upgrade the phone using the online account manager.

: Yes not sure which one to get. One that has wifi but no data plan. Hopefully a non smart phone with wifi.

Derek {Personal content removed}: I will look into this for you, I do think the only phones that have wifi are the smart phones that require a data plan.

: Even if I buy a non branded att phone

Derek{Personal content removed}: Even with a non branded phone if the system picked it up as a smart phone it would put a data plan on the service.

: So how would I know which ones are smart and which are not??

Derek {Personal content removed}: with our phones or a unlocked phone?

: But an unlocled (iphone) for example would still be a smart phone woouldn't it.

Derek {Personal content removed}: An unlocked iphone would need to have a data plan for it to work, I it is very hard to find a unlocked iphone

: Would Motorola EX119 be considered smart??

Derek {Personal content removed}: Usually the best way to tell if a phone is a smart phone it will usualy have 1 of 4 operating system, these would be android, blackberry , windows, or the iphone

: I'll look into this thanks.

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (2,634 Views)