Posted Sep 24, 2013
10:49:00 AM
Sender telephone number for text messages emailed to xxx@txt.att.net & xxx@mobile.mycingular.com

Message grouping on my iphone is a real problem, and it doesn't have anything to do with iOS.  All the emailed SMS texts to txt.att.net come from different sender IDs making it impossible to group and easily manage on an iphone.

Prior to November of 2010, the solution was to send emailed SMS texts to xxx@mobile.mycingular.com.  When these text messages arrived they always came from the same sender allowing the messages to be grouped properly.

What can we do to fix this problem???  I often get hundreds of text messages from monitoring systems and having to delete them one at a time is incredibly time consuming and frustrating.

Moreover, there was a thread open about this where several people voiced their frustration and nothing was done.  When someone posted recently to bump the priority, the thread was closed by AT&T representative.

Previous Thread:http://forums.att.com/t5/Data-Messaging-Features-Internet/Sender-telephone-number-for-text-messages-...

This is something that really needs to be addressed.  

Sender telephone number for text messages emailed to xxx@txt.att.net & xxx@mobile.mycingular.com

10 replies
(5) Me too
(5) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2013 10:20:17 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Andytl13 on Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23:00 AM

THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!. Verizon Wireless does not have this issue. I spent over 3 hours with phone support today and yesterday. This needs to be fixed.

Re: Sender telephone number for text messages emailed to xxx@txt.att.net & xxx@mobile.mycingular

[ Edited ]
2 of 11 (1,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2013 10:53:58 AM
(0)
Employee

My suggestion would be to not use SMS as your delivery mechanism, use email. Set yourself up a separate email account for these messages and send them to that inbox. They will all then be properly grouped in your email client and it's also fairy easy to mass delete email.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Sender telephone number for text messages emailed to xxx@txt.att.net & xxx@mobile.mycingular

3 of 11 (1,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013 9:13:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

I find it problematic that the recommendation is to not use AT&T.  I am also having a problem with this because my enterprise messaging system uses SMS and it cannot be changed.  Is there a system that can send messages from email that does not allow reply and therefore use one sending ID?

4 of 11 (1,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2013 9:26:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Spoke w/ AT&T again today, they keep saying the problem is a third party. They never seem to understand the issue.

5 of 11 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 14, 2013 10:13:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Bump - anything from AT&T?  

6 of 11 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 14, 2013 10:50:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Via AT&T Support - we are out of luck

AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): I'll be happy to assist you with your text messaging.
Me: This also happens on my husbands phone, which is an HTC/Android so I don't think this is specifically iPhone related
Me: And this appears to be the case regardless of the sending SMTP server (tested with both GMAIL, outlook.com and generic Windows SMTP service).
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): Unfortunately, this issue would need to be addressed from the company's side, as they need to use an enterprise messaging option, rather than an email to SMS one.
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): my company uses BYOD, so this is my personal device but need to use it from work
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): are you saying my unlimited texting plan does not cover this?
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): It would not cover a specific enterprise feature that you're after. If you can receive the messages, then the network if functioning correctly.
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): The specific functionality could only be supported by an enterprise solution using what is called TAP protocol.
Me: So they only way AT&T offers its customers to receive SMS messages from a fixed address when they have a corporate plan with special messaging service? That is unfortunate. Thank you for confirming.
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): That's correct
AT&T Rep (Name obfuscated for confidentiality): The consumer text messaging was not designed to support corporate solutions.

7 of 11 (929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2013 2:05:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why would AT&T NOT consider the trivial change of using the From email address of the message instead of some sequential numeric identifier?  Even with the obviously intentional committment to force people to implement corporate solutions, this small improvement would dramtically improve this facility.

It would also bring AT&T's consumer text messaging up to Verizon standards where messages from the same sender are forwarded such that contemporary smart phone SMS messaging handlers natively group them into the same message thread.

On the other hand, if AT&T continues to intentionally implement crippled consumer solutions and refuses to consider even incremental improvements, then consumers may well migrate to other providers if this facility is of value.

8 of 11 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 11, 2013 10:24:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

SMS is faster and more reliable than mms.  more and more devices are using email to SMS xxx@txt.att.net from alarm systems to ip cameras and many VoIP services like Ooma.  However when each of these send a message thru ATT  none of them are grouped.  This requires individual deleting and the inability to assign a custom tone to incoming message. ATT has not addressed this issue for over 2 years which has caused my home automation company, HomePlicity here in Colorado to recommend to my customers that they use Verizon.  And as I speak with other businesses in my industry they also recognize the only solution is Verizon.

9 of 11 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 11, 2013 10:39:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jbonvallet on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:49:58 AM

It is interesting how ATT closed the original post. 2 years ago when they killed the feature the demand was small, however this type of automated email to SMS is growing (Alarm systems, Cameras, VoIP, Server alerts, etc..).  Based on ATT lack of interest to address this problem, I suspect it will only be solved if there is a significant loss of revenue.  For now ATT has forced my hand. I recommend to my customers to switch to Verizon to solve the problem.

[ Edited ]
10 of 11 (638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2014 12:22:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

SOLUTION:

Change the email the messages are sent to from @txt.att.net to @mms.att.net. It will show up as coming from the sender email address and you can add that as a contact!

11 of 11 (416 Views)