Need your talk or text logs?
xromarx's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, February 12th, 2011 4:59 PM

Overage?

Anybody know what this mean? Will i pay anything extra?
Quick summary, i just recently bought an iphone but before that i had unlimited txtng. When i bought the iphone i took away the txtng plan bxuz i didnt think i needed it anyways. I realized a day later that i needed atleast the 1000text plan bcuz i was txtng quite a bit on my phone. Soon again i realized id need to switch back to my unli plan bcuz im afraid of going passed the limit, im pretty sure i havent gone over the limit when i switched to unli plan but this is what i get when i call *DATA#

Next Bill Cycle: 02/27/2011
Data (MB): 192.8 of 2048
Messaging: 234 of 167
Overage: 67 (Deactivated)
Messaging: 32 of Unlimited
Messaging: 371 of Unlimited (Deactivated)

Anybody know what the overage mean? It says deactivated anyway.

Mentor

• 

66 Messages

13 years ago

It is possible that you may need to pay overage rates. What happened was that more than likely, you added the 1000 text package in the middle of a billing cycle. When that happens, it will cause prorated charges as well as prorated allotment of your plan....which means that you may have not gotten the full allotment of the 1000 text. The best thing to do in that case is to BACKDATE the plan to the beginning of the current bill cycle that you are in... which will also prorate the charge, but you would get the full allotment of the plan. The way backdating would bill is you would get a full charge of the plan (example, $10.00 for the 1000 text package) as well as a full month in advance charge of (say $10.00 for the same package.) But doing this will also cover any overages you may have.

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

@xromarx wrote:
Anybody know what this mean? Will i pay anything extra?
Quick summary, i just recently bought an iphone but before that i had unlimited txtng. When i bought the iphone i took away the txtng plan bxuz i didnt think i needed it anyways. I realized a day later that i needed atleast the 1000text plan bcuz i was txtng quite a bit on my phone. Soon again i realized id need to switch back to my unli plan bcuz im afraid of going passed the limit, im pretty sure i havent gone over the limit when i switched to unli plan but this is what i get when i call *DATA#

Next Bill Cycle: 02/27/2011
Data (MB): 192.8 of 2048
Messaging: 234 of 167
Overage: 67 (Deactivated)
Messaging: 32 of Unlimited
Messaging: 371 of Unlimited (Deactivated)

Anybody know what the overage mean? It says deactivated anyway.

On some particular day in the billing cycle, you changed to Messaging 1000.  You kept the plan for that day and four more before changing it again.  During those five days, you used 234 messages.  However, the messaging allowance of 1000 messages is for a whole month, and you didn't have the plan for a month.  You had it for 5 days.  5/30 of 1000 is 167.  During those five days, you were allowed 167, you used those 167, and you used 67 more.  That's where the overage is from.  It says deactivated because you are no longer on that messaging plan.

As posted above, consider when to make changes effective.  You have three options.  The change can be effective today, it can be backdated to the start of the billing cycle, or it can wait until the start of the next billing cycle.  If a plan isn't effective for an entire billing cycle, then both the cost and the allowance will be pro-rated.

Since changes have already been made and since you're already on the plan you want, I'm not sure whether you can do this online or whether you'll need to call Customer Care.  One way or another, though, I'd recommend reapplying the plan you want so that it's backdated to the start of the current cycle.  It will be as if you never made the changes.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.