Posted Oct 31, 2012
6:48:34 AM
View profile
New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?
Edited by jamileh on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:03:15 AM

I got the iPhone 4S recently, so some of these questions may some dumb.  This is my first smart phone ever.

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage?

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?

I am nearly at my 3 GB limit 13 days into the billing cycle.  It seemed way off to me. 

<CM Edit - new thread created/subject edited>

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 31, 2012 7:13:14 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey Mike!

I moved your post to create a new thread because I think you've asked some great questions and I want to make sure it's easy for anyone else to find the answer. 

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? - No. When you're connected to wifi (at home, in public or at work) you're not using data from your data plan. 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage? - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data. 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?  - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data. 

Here are some things to keep in mind:

Helpful hints:

• Streaming video consumes the most data of all possible activities so things like YouTube, Netflix and Hulu can take a big chunk of your available data.
  • You can calculate your data usage or check how much data you have used during your current billing cycle by dialing *DATA# (*3282#) from your smartphone.

Here's a link to an article that explains how data usage is billed: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54646#fbid=G9C1qiYG3P6

Here's an article that explains the various ways to check your data usage: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52377#fbid=G9C1qiYG3P6

I hope this information helps; please let us know!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

[ Edited ]
24 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 31, 2012 7:13:14 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey Mike!

I moved your post to create a new thread because I think you've asked some great questions and I want to make sure it's easy for anyone else to find the answer. 

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? - No. When you're connected to wifi (at home, in public or at work) you're not using data from your data plan. 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage? - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data. 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?  - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data. 

Here are some things to keep in mind:

Helpful hints:

• Streaming video consumes the most data of all possible activities so things like YouTube, Netflix and Hulu can take a big chunk of your available data.
  • You can calculate your data usage or check how much data you have used during your current billing cycle by dialing *DATA# (*3282#) from your smartphone.

Here's a link to an article that explains how data usage is billed: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54646#fbid=G9C1qiYG3P6

Here's an article that explains the various ways to check your data usage: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52377#fbid=G9C1qiYG3P6

I hope this information helps; please let us know!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

2 of 25 (72,990 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 9:50:48 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for moving this.....

So I keep it on my wi-fi at home, for example. and download e-mail that way, I will not cut into my data plan? 

I figured using You Tube cuts into the data plan, which makes sense. 

3 of 25 (72,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 10:07:35 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

You've got it! Using wifi as much as possible will help reduce the amount of data you use. 

Don't forget that there are thousands of AT&T Wifi HotSpots available too: http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=13540

One thing to remember is that if your phone "goes to sleep", it may not automatically pick up the wireless signal again so it's always a good idea to check to make sure you're still connected. 

--------------

4 of 25 (72,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 10:30:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

I listen to podcasts using an app, not downloading them, I simply hit play and it plays the podcast. Is that data usage or not?

5 of 25 (72,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 10:58:49 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Yep, that's data usage becase you're streaming audio in that case. Basically any time you connect to anything else using your phone (except normal telephone calls using the dialer), you're using data. If you're on a wifi connection, you won't use your data package though. 

--------------

6 of 25 (72,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 11:21:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for your help, that explains why I have blown through my data plan, because I have been listening to the same podcast and not downloading it ahead of time. If I download it ahead of time at home (meaning wi-fi), then the data doesn't get cut into and I can listen to it while driving and not use data, right?

7 of 25 (72,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 11:26:16 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Exactly!

When you download something, you're listening to/watching it from your phone's memory; not from the server it's hosted on so you won't be using data to listen/watch. 

--------------

8 of 25 (72,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 12:33:48 PM
(0)
Expert

mike2854 wrote:

I listen to podcasts using an app, not downloading them, I simply hit play and it plays the podcast. Is that data usage or not?

if you are not on wifi then yes it is using data, it still transfers to the phone

9 of 25 (72,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 1:10:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

So the smart thing would be to download it when using wi-fil and then I listen to the podcast while driving w/out burning data, right?  I can delete the podcast later to save space.

10 of 25 (72,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 1:26:04 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

That's the best way to avoid data usage, yes. 

--------------

11 of 25 (72,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2012 2:17:39 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

12 of 25 (72,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2012 10:09:15 AM
(0)
Mentor

If I was driving and used the map app that is built into the phone as a GPS and left it running the entire time, is that data usage?

13 of 25 (72,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2012 11:41:09 AM
(0)
Expert

mike2854 wrote:

If I was driving and used the map app that is built into the phone as a GPS and left it running the entire time, is that data usage?

depends - there are some that do realtime updates with traffic, those will consume data, others will download the entire route and not have to access anything

14 of 25 (72,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2012 9:29:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I am using the one that is built into the iPhone 4S, not Google Earth/Maps or any other app that could be out there. 

15 of 25 (72,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2012 9:53:33 AM
(0)
Employee

mike2854 wrote:

Well, I am using the one that is built into the iPhone 4S, not Google Earth/Maps or any other app that could be out there. 

Everytime the built in map app refreshes itself (which normally happens as you move), you will be using data.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

16 of 25 (72,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2012 11:30:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

No wonder people still buy GPS's.

Thanks.

17 of 25 (72,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2012 12:52:45 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

To help with perspective, I use Maps on my iPhone A LOT. Pretty much every day, honestly. I also use Facebook and Twitter a alot, along with some other data intensive apps. 

I rarely, if ever exceed 1.5GB's a month in data use. 

Everyone is different but most people don't use as much data as they think. :smileyhappy:

--------------

18 of 25 (72,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 10:55:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

I figured the maps function was "free" (at least data wise) since it came with it.  I would think if one used an Mapquest app (for example), that would be data being used which would make sense. 

I appreicate all the advice.   This has been a learning experience for certain! 

19 of 25 (72,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2012 7:18:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am using an iPhone 4s, with AT&T wireless service. I use the Xfinity Connect app for texting, because it is included with my home land line phone package. I am often connected to a wireless service at home and/or work, but during that time, texting is using data. I thought it should be using wifi, and no data use? Is there a setting I'm missing? I monitored the useage with the myAT&T app.

Data useage while connected to wifi, using Xfinity Connect texting

20 of 25 (70,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2013 9:04:31 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

21 of 25 (68,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 2:35:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have the Unlimited Messaging service. When I am connected to 3G, it will send texts as an "iMessage." Does this consume data? Or is it still classified as "Unlimited"?

22 of 25 (66,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 7:17:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

AKPorcupine wrote:
I have the Unlimited Messaging service. When I am connected to 3G, it will send texts as an "iMessage." Does this consume data? Or is it still classified as "Unlimited"?

iMessage is an iOS feature and uses data to connect to Apple's servers.

Your unlimited messaging plan only covers messages sent through AT&T's service and the latter is not counted as data.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

23 of 25 (66,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 7:26:47 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

ranron nailed it!

You don't have to use iMessages if you don't want to use that data. To turn iMessages off, Tap Settings>Messages and slide the dot from on to off. 

iMessages are blue, regular texts are green. That's an easy way to tell them apart. 

--------------

24 of 25 (66,949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2014 4:52:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

First let me say I love the entire concept of using my home/work wifi to save on data usage, especially since this is a company phone. I have the Samsung Rugby Pro, which comes with a nifty app that show data usage; both mobile & wifi. Personally, I love this phone and play with it at home all the time.

Athough I don't believe my company has been charged for my wi/fi data usage, data usage warning emails are being sent to my company showing my TOTAL data, instead of my mobile usage. Although I showed my boss my data usage of 977mb was actually 922mb wi/fi & only 55mb mobile, the emails warnings and the fact that this is my first smart phone make him question the whole thing.

Is there a possibility of a flaw in the auto-email program or a need for an update? Any help/info would be great.

25 of 25 (38,983 Views)