Need your talk or text logs?
mike2854's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 1:48 PM

New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

I got the iPhone 4S recently, so some of these questions may some dumb.  This is my first smart phone ever.

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage?

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?

I am nearly at my 3 GB limit 13 days into the billing cycle.  It seemed way off to me. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hey Mike!

I moved your post to create a new thread because I think you've asked some great questions and I want to make sure it's easy for anyone else to find the answer. 

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? - No. When you're connected to wifi (at home, in public or at work) you're not using data from your data plan. 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage? - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data. 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?  - Yes, if you're not connected to wifi; updating apps uses cellular data. 

Here are some things to keep in mind:

Helpful hints:

• Streaming video consumes the most data of all possible activities so things like YouTube, Netflix and Hulu can take a big chunk of your available data.
  • You can calculate your data usage or check how much data you have used during your current billing cycle by dialing *DATA# (*3282#) from your smartphone.

Here's a link to an article that explains how data usage is billed: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=54646#fbid=G9C1qiYG3P6

Here's an article that explains the various ways to check your data usage: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52377#fbid=G9C1qiYG3P6

I hope this information helps; please let us know!

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for moving this.....

So I keep it on my wi-fi at home, for example. and download e-mail that way, I will not cut into my data plan? 

I figured using You Tube cuts into the data plan, which makes sense. 

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

You've got it! Using wifi as much as possible will help reduce the amount of data you use. 

Don't forget that there are thousands of AT&T Wifi HotSpots available too: http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=13540

One thing to remember is that if your phone "goes to sleep", it may not automatically pick up the wireless signal again so it's always a good idea to check to make sure you're still connected. 

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

I listen to podcasts using an app, not downloading them, I simply hit play and it plays the podcast. Is that data usage or not?

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Yep, that's data usage becase you're streaming audio in that case. Basically any time you connect to anything else using your phone (except normal telephone calls using the dialer), you're using data. If you're on a wifi connection, you won't use your data package though. 

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your help, that explains why I have blown through my data plan, because I have been listening to the same podcast and not downloading it ahead of time. If I download it ahead of time at home (meaning wi-fi), then the data doesn't get cut into and I can listen to it while driving and not use data, right?

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Exactly!

When you download something, you're listening to/watching it from your phone's memory; not from the server it's hosted on so you won't be using data to listen/watch. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mike2854 wrote:

I listen to podcasts using an app, not downloading them, I simply hit play and it plays the podcast. Is that data usage or not?

if you are not on wifi then yes it is using data, it still transfers to the phone

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

So the smart thing would be to download it when using wi-fil and then I listen to the podcast while driving w/out burning data, right?  I can delete the podcast later to save space.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

That's the best way to avoid data usage, yes. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.