Need your talk or text logs?
ipwn3r123's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 3:06 AM

Is cellular data plan required for ALL smartphones?

Hi community,

I might be getting a new smartphone this December. But what I heard from a lot of people said that you need cellular data to get a smartphone. I personally don't want to buy a phone online, since their too expensive. Is it really true that you need a cellular data plan?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@ipwn3r123 wrote:

Alright, thanks guys for all the information. I will see what to do after my current contract ends.

good luck - just rememebr that all major carriers - Sprint, ATT, Verizion all require a data plan for smartphones. There might be some of the smaller carriers that let you have one without a data plna but not sure

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

12 years ago

All smart phones require a data plan. If you dont add one to it the system will automatically add the least expensive one for you.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Other than making money, why do carriers force customers to purchase a data plan for their smartphones if customer have no need for a data plan. 

I use Wi-Fi for accessing the Internet. If I can't get Wi-Fi then I don't use the Internet. Why pay for something I dont' need or want.

What problem is a smartphone causing without a data plan?

If I don't have a data plan and I'm out of Wi-Fi range, my smartphone doesn't get onto the Internet. So be it.

If I need to have Internet access outside of Wi-Fi range, then I'll purchase a data plan.

Again, why force customer into something they don't want or need?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

yeah, i dont see why or how they can force you to...especially if you get a hand-me-down smartphone and didnt actually renew your 2 yr contract

i think it's just att ripping people off.  some people....like my mom that just want a smartphone to do things on wifi and text with a better keyboard/screen, than the crappy few options they have for non-smartphones.

all you have to do is uncheck the mobile data checkbox and there would be zero chance of her getting onto the data network

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@dh4645 wrote:

yeah, i dont see why or how they can force you to...especially if you get a hand-me-down smartphone and didnt actually renew your 2 yr contract

i think it's just att ripping people off.  some people....like my mom that just want a smartphone to do things on wifi and text with a better keyboard/screen, than the crappy few options they have for non-smartphones.

all you have to do is uncheck the mobile data checkbox and there would be zero chance of her getting onto the data network

If by "uncheck the mobile data check box" you mention you mean on the activation that won;t work, the order cannot be completed without all requirements being fulfilled, even if it did the minute the system determines it is a smartphone the plan will be added to bring it into compliance with the terms you agreed to - that is perfectly within their rights as the service provider. Uncheck everything you want, turn on airplane mode, doesn;t matter the data plan will be added per the terms

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@dh4645 wrote:

If by "uncheck the mobile data check box" you mention you mean on the activation that won;t work, the order cannot be completed without all requirements being fulfilled, even if it did the minute the system determines it is a smartphone the plan will be added to bring it into compliance with the terms you agreed to - that is perfectly within their rights as the service provider. Uncheck everything you want, turn on airplane mode, doesn;t matter the data plan will be added per the terms

dh4645 was referring to the option in a phone's settings menu that allows the user to turn mobile data off.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@georged98 wrote:

Other than making money, why do carriers force customers to purchase a data plan for their smartphones if customer have no need for a data plan. 

I use Wi-Fi for accessing the Internet. If I can't get Wi-Fi then I don't use the Internet. Why pay for something I dont' need or want.

If I don't have a data plan and I'm out of Wi-Fi range, my smartphone doesn't get onto the Internet. So be it.

If I need to have Internet access outside of Wi-Fi range, then I'll purchase a data plan.

The choices that the consumer has is to either a) not get a smartphone or b) go to a carrier that doesn't require a data plan.  Even though some people don't like certain policies that some carriers have, the lack of the consumer looking out for his own interest (voting with your money) allows carriers to have any policy that they want.  If enough people left and went to other carriers that allow this, the ones that do have the data requirement would have to notice.  Would they change their policies?  Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, you have to look out for yourself.  The carrier isn't going to do it for you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

@georged98 wrote:

I just found myself saddled with an arbitrary data plan because of a smartphone. The phone was a hand me down and is out of contract. My wife and I have been using various smartphones (mostly iPhones) for YEARS on AT&T with no data plans. When this data plan was added I called customer support a few times trying to get it removed and to find out why it was a requirement. I got the normal canned answers of it's required "to be able to use all the features of your smart phone" and "smartphones use more data so it makes the monthly bill more stable."

I pressed on and eventually the customer service rep told me exactly what I expected, the data plan is required and has no option for removal because AT&T wants to "Get more money and get in line with the other companies."

Needless to say, I'm leaving AT&T and likely moving to a prepaid plan elsewhere. I with more people would do the same, though AT&T would just find some other way to soak their customers. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I bought my smartphone online through Ebay as an unlocked  phone usable at various carriers. I have AT&T service and have had for 9 + years. I was told by the salesman that I had to have a data plan to activate the smart phone. The salesman made a statement to the effect that I had to buy a data plan as AT&T was in the business to make money. First the saleman decided that the problems of activating the phone was I had a bad phone. Then it was the sim card activation system problem. So I agreed to the $30 plan. My phone is an windows phone. I went to the company store to get activated. When I left the store it was not activated as well as my previous phone did not work any longer. I was told by the salesman to check every hour to see if it had been activated yet. So after 5 hours I returned and insisted that I not leave without the phone working. I then got a good salesman who took about 2 minutes to make the phone work.It was a matter of uninstalling both the battery and sim card. i believe with the first salesman that I was being punished for )1 not buying the phone from At&T and 2) not signing another two year contract which I did not have to do because the phone was an unlocked phone. So there way to get more money out of your back pocket into there account is require a data plan. So I would say eventually all they will have is smart phones so they can get your money.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@jonus1897 wrote:

I bought my smartphone online through Ebay as an unlocked  phone usable at various carriers. I have AT&T service and have had for 9 + years. I was told by the salesman that I had to have a data plan to activate the smart phone. The salesman made a statement to the effect that I had to buy a data plan as AT&T was in the business to make money. First the saleman decided that the problems of activating the phone was I had a bad phone. Then it was the sim card activation system problem. So I agreed to the $30 plan. My phone is an windows phone. I went to the company store to get activated. When I left the store it was not activated as well as my previous phone did not work any longer. I was told by the salesman to check every hour to see if it had been activated yet. So after 5 hours I returned and insisted that I not leave without the phone working. I then got a good salesman who took about 2 minutes to make the phone work.It was a matter of uninstalling both the battery and sim card. i believe with the first salesman that I was being punished for )1 not buying the phone from At&T and 2) not signing another two year contract which I did not have to do because the phone was an unlocked phone. So there way to get more money out of your back pocket into there account is require a data plan. So I would say eventually all they will have is smart phones so they can get your money.

EVERY smartphone used on ATT or any other major carrier is required to have a data plan.I doubt you were being punished from buying your phone elsewhere...it sounds to me that you just needed a different sales rep. As a matter of fact, my unlocked phone that I currently use, was purchased at BestBuy. A lot of people purchase their phones from various places.

If it comes down to wanting to use a smartphone on ATT's network, then you'll have to also have to pay for a data plan...if you don't want to pay for it, there are other non smartphone devices to choose from.

Whether you think ATT is out to make money or not is besides the point...you want to use the network, they make the rules that we all agree to when we accept the terms of service. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.