Posted Aug 15, 2012
8:06:32 PM
Is cellular data plan required for ALL smartphones?

Hi community,

I might be getting a new smartphone this December. But what I heard from a lot of people said that you need cellular data to get a smartphone. I personally don't want to buy a phone online, since their too expensive. Is it really true that you need a cellular data plan?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 16, 2012 7:49:28 AM
(0)
Expert

ipwn3r123 wrote:

Hi community,

I might be getting a new smartphone this December. But what I heard from a lot of people said that you need cellular data to get a smartphone. I personally don't want to buy a phone online, since their too expensive. Is it really true that you need a cellular data plan?

a smartphone requires a data plan, if you add one with out it, one wil be added automaticly  to make the account compliant to the terms of service.

Accepted Solution

Is cellular data plan required for ALL smartphones?

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 16, 2012 7:49:28 AM
(0)
Expert

ipwn3r123 wrote:

Hi community,

a smartphone requires a data plan, if you add one with out it, one wil be added automaticly  to make the account compliant to the terms of service.

Re: Is cellular data plan required for ALL smartphones?

2 of 26 (24,342 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2012 9:45:09 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Wingrider is right, all smartphones require a dataplan. 

There are many options though and I'm sure you can find both a phone and plans in your price range!

Here is some information on the data plans AT&T has available (we just announced Mobile Sharing too!): https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=60W_98CGcoP

Let us know if you have any questions about phones or plans. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 26 (24,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2012 5:06:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well, I might be planning to order the family voice plan, lets say, the 700 minute one. That costs $69.99 a month. Then I am getting a smartphone just for myself. Then i have a add a data plan, the minimum one is 300 MB, which is another $20 a month. So the total is $89.99 a month? Am I correct?

4 of 26 (24,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2012 3:30:26 AM
(0)
Expert

ipwn3r123 wrote:

Well, I might be planning to order the family voice plan, lets say, the 700 minute one. That costs $69.99 a month. Then I am getting a smartphone just for myself. Then i have a add a data plan, the minimum one is 300 MB, which is another $20 a month. So the total is $89.99 a month? Am I correct?

69.99 for two phones

20.00 for a 300mb smartphone

--------

??.?? - add on for state, local, federal, carrier recover charges these charges are variable depending on your location, for me it adds about 20 percent to the bill.

If you need texting, it will be an additional 30.00 a month for unlimited texting (only plan available other thn per message charges). The added incentive here is with the 700 minute voice plan, the texting plan adds unlimited mobile to any mobile, so you can call someone that has another carriers phone and not be charged minutes

5 of 26 (24,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2012 8:14:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

I don't need text, I don't think I will be texting at all. So it's $89.99 plus taxes for total. 

6 of 26 (24,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2012 8:16:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Also, do I have to pay extra to get a discount smartphone? I heard that someone got a Samsung galaxy s3, and he pays extra $20 each month. I might be gettthe the iPhone 4s or upcoming iphone 5, does it matter?

7 of 26 (24,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2012 3:56:34 AM
(0)
Expert

ipwn3r123 wrote:

Also, do I have to pay extra to get a discount smartphone? I heard that someone got a Samsung galaxy s3, and he pays extra $20 each month. I might be gettthe the iPhone 4s or upcoming iphone 5, does it matter?

the only extra is the data plan, there are no other surcharges

8 of 26 (24,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2012 2:08:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Can I cancel the data plan later on if I get a discounted smartphone?

9 of 26 (24,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2012 8:09:51 PM
(0)
Professor

ipwn3r123 wrote:

Can I cancel the data plan later on if I get a discounted smartphone?

The only way you can cancel the data plan is if you stop using a smartphone. The system can see what phone you're using, and if it sees a smartphone it will automatically add a dataplan to the line.

10 of 26 (24,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012 9:11:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

Alright, thanks guys for all the information. I will see what to do after my current contract ends.

11 of 26 (24,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2012 3:24:33 AM
(0)
Expert

ipwn3r123 wrote:

Alright, thanks guys for all the information. I will see what to do after my current contract ends.

good luck - just rememebr that all major carriers - Sprint, ATT, Verizion all require a data plan for smartphones. There might be some of the smaller carriers that let you have one without a data plna but not sure

12 of 26 (24,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 7:24:58 AM
(0)
Mentor
All smart phones require a data plan. If you dont add one to it the system will automatically add the least expensive one for you.

13 of 26 (23,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2012 4:39:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Other than making money, why do carriers force customers to purchase a data plan for their smartphones if customer have no need for a data plan. 

I use Wi-Fi for accessing the Internet. If I can't get Wi-Fi then I don't use the Internet. Why pay for something I dont' need or want.

What problem is a smartphone causing without a data plan?

If I don't have a data plan and I'm out of Wi-Fi range, my smartphone doesn't get onto the Internet. So be it.

If I need to have Internet access outside of Wi-Fi range, then I'll purchase a data plan.

Again, why force customer into something they don't want or need?

14 of 26 (22,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2012 10:11:48 AM
(0)
Teacher

yeah, i dont see why or how they can force you to...especially if you get a hand-me-down smartphone and didnt actually renew your 2 yr contract

i think it's just att ripping people off.  some people....like my mom that just want a smartphone to do things on wifi and text with a better keyboard/screen, than the crappy few options they have for non-smartphones.

all you have to do is uncheck the mobile data checkbox and there would be zero chance of her getting onto the data network

15 of 26 (21,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2012 12:07:03 PM
(0)
Expert

dh4645 wrote:

yeah, i dont see why or how they can force you to...especially if you get a hand-me-down smartphone and didnt actually renew your 2 yr contract

i think it's just att ripping people off.  some people....like my mom that just want a smartphone to do things on wifi and text with a better keyboard/screen, than the crappy few options they have for non-smartphones.

all you have to do is uncheck the mobile data checkbox and there would be zero chance of her getting onto the data network

If by "uncheck the mobile data check box" you mention you mean on the activation that won;t work, the order cannot be completed without all requirements being fulfilled, even if it did the minute the system determines it is a smartphone the plan will be added to bring it into compliance with the terms you agreed to - that is perfectly within their rights as the service provider. Uncheck everything you want, turn on airplane mode, doesn;t matter the data plan will be added per the terms

16 of 26 (21,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2012 8:28:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

dh4645 wrote:

If by "uncheck the mobile data check box" you mention you mean on the activation that won;t work, the order cannot be completed without all requirements being fulfilled, even if it did the minute the system determines it is a smartphone the plan will be added to bring it into compliance with the terms you agreed to - that is perfectly within their rights as the service provider. Uncheck everything you want, turn on airplane mode, doesn;t matter the data plan will be added per the terms

dh4645 was referring to the option in a phone's settings menu that allows the user to turn mobile data off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

17 of 26 (21,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2012 8:32:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

georged98 wrote:

Other than making money, why do carriers force customers to purchase a data plan for their smartphones if customer have no need for a data plan. 

I use Wi-Fi for accessing the Internet. If I can't get Wi-Fi then I don't use the Internet. Why pay for something I dont' need or want.

If I don't have a data plan and I'm out of Wi-Fi range, my smartphone doesn't get onto the Internet. So be it.

If I need to have Internet access outside of Wi-Fi range, then I'll purchase a data plan.

The choices that the consumer has is to either a) not get a smartphone or b) go to a carrier that doesn't require a data plan.  Even though some people don't like certain policies that some carriers have, the lack of the consumer looking out for his own interest (voting with your money) allows carriers to have any policy that they want.  If enough people left and went to other carriers that allow this, the ones that do have the data requirement would have to notice.  Would they change their policies?  Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, you have to look out for yourself.  The carrier isn't going to do it for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 26 (21,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2013 9:13:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

georged98 wrote:

I just found myself saddled with an arbitrary data plan because of a smartphone. The phone was a hand me down and is out of contract. My wife and I have been using various smartphones (mostly iPhones) for YEARS on AT&T with no data plans. When this data plan was added I called customer support a few times trying to get it removed and to find out why it was a requirement. I got the normal canned answers of it's required "to be able to use all the features of your smart phone" and "smartphones use more data so it makes the monthly bill more stable."

I pressed on and eventually the customer service rep told me exactly what I expected, the data plan is required and has no option for removal because AT&T wants to "Get more money and get in line with the other companies."

Needless to say, I'm leaving AT&T and likely moving to a prepaid plan elsewhere. I with more people would do the same, though AT&T would just find some other way to soak their customers. 

19 of 26 (17,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2013 9:01:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I bought my smartphone online through Ebay as an unlocked  phone usable at various carriers. I have AT&T service and have had for 9 + years. I was told by the salesman that I had to have a data plan to activate the smart phone. The salesman made a statement to the effect that I had to buy a data plan as AT&T was in the business to make money. First the saleman decided that the problems of activating the phone was I had a bad phone. Then it was the sim card activation system problem. So I agreed to the $30 plan. My phone is an windows phone. I went to the company store to get activated. When I left the store it was not activated as well as my previous phone did not work any longer. I was told by the salesman to check every hour to see if it had been activated yet. So after 5 hours I returned and insisted that I not leave without the phone working. I then got a good salesman who took about 2 minutes to make the phone work.It was a matter of uninstalling both the battery and sim card. i believe with the first salesman that I was being punished for )1 not buying the phone from At&T and 2) not signing another two year contract which I did not have to do because the phone was an unlocked phone. So there way to get more money out of your back pocket into there account is require a data plan. So I would say eventually all they will have is smart phones so they can get your money.

20 of 26 (15,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2013 12:31:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:33:29 PM

jonus1897 wrote:

I bought my smartphone online through Ebay as an unlocked  phone usable at various carriers. I have AT&T service and have had for 9 + years. I was told by the salesman that I had to have a data plan to activate the smart phone. The salesman made a statement to the effect that I had to buy a data plan as AT&T was in the business to make money. First the saleman decided that the problems of activating the phone was I had a bad phone. Then it was the sim card activation system problem. So I agreed to the $30 plan. My phone is an windows phone. I went to the company store to get activated. When I left the store it was not activated as well as my previous phone did not work any longer. I was told by the salesman to check every hour to see if it had been activated yet. So after 5 hours I returned and insisted that I not leave without the phone working. I then got a good salesman who took about 2 minutes to make the phone work.It was a matter of uninstalling both the battery and sim card. i believe with the first salesman that I was being punished for )1 not buying the phone from At&T and 2) not signing another two year contract which I did not have to do because the phone was an unlocked phone. So there way to get more money out of your back pocket into there account is require a data plan. So I would say eventually all they will have is smart phones so they can get your money.

EVERY smartphone used on ATT or any other major carrier is required to have a data plan.I doubt you were being punished from buying your phone elsewhere...it sounds to me that you just needed a different sales rep. As a matter of fact, my unlocked phone that I currently use, was purchased at BestBuy. A lot of people purchase their phones from various places.

If it comes down to wanting to use a smartphone on ATT's network, then you'll have to also have to pay for a data plan...if you don't want to pay for it, there are other non smartphone devices to choose from.

Whether you think ATT is out to make money or not is besides the point...you want to use the network, they make the rules that we all agree to when we accept the terms of service. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
21 of 26 (15,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2013 1:29:41 PM
(0)
Professor

I dunno about every. It used to be that if you were going strictly month-to-month with AT&T once a contract has ended that you could kill your data on a smartphone. Not quite sure if that practice is still in effect as I am again locked in a contract, but it was a few years ago =P Also, you can use GoPhone just fine w/o a data plan...although I wouldn't recommend their service.

22 of 26 (15,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2013 1:39:45 PM
(0)
Expert

jii wrote:

I dunno about every. It used to be that if you were going strictly month-to-month with AT&T once a contract has ended that you could kill your data on a smartphone. Not quite sure if that practice is still in effect as I am again locked in a contract, but it was a few years ago =P Also, you can use GoPhone just fine w/o a data plan...although I wouldn't recommend their service.

4 years ago you could put a data block on a smartphone, the feature was discontinued. The grandfather of the feature was tied to the device it was on, change device the feature was removed. ATT, Sprint, Verizon will not allow you to place a smartphone on a normal contract without a data plan.

23 of 26 (15,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2013 5:40:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jii wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of that. Thanks, jii! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

24 of 26 (15,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 12:44:10 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:
4 years ago you could put a data block on a smartphone, the feature was discontinued. The grandfather of the feature was tied to the device it was on, change device the feature was removed. ATT, Sprint, Verizon will not allow you to place a smartphone on a normal contract without a data plan.

We are all well aware that a data plan is needed when one is bound by a contract. If you read my post however, you'll note that I was talking about post-contract life with AT&T.

25 of 26 (15,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013 4:41:21 AM
(0)
Professor

jii wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

We are all well aware that a data plan is needed when one is bound by a contract. If you read my post however, you'll note that I was talking about post-contract life with AT&T.

The same holds true for post-contract. If you use a smartphone, contract or no contract, locked or unlocked, you are required to have a data plan. If the system detects that you're using a smartphone without a data plan, one will be added automatically. It's all in the terms of service, which is in effect as long as you use AT&T's service.

The only exceptions are the GoPhone and some phones that aren't detected as smartphones. And I wouldn't expect the latter to be a guaranteed out.

26 of 26 (15,086 Views)