Posted Dec 23, 2008
6:20:53 AM
View profile
Instant Messaging Question????
I have the Unlimited Messaging Family Plan for my phones. If I login to Windows Live IM and stay logged in will there be any charges for me being online all the time? If so, what is the time limit to being logged into IM?
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 23, 2008 7:42:52 AM
(0)
Master

dcboyd69 wrote:
I do not stay logged. I was just wondering if there was a time limit for using IM. When I am logged in it shows up as I am using the internet. I just don't want any extra charges on my bill. I do use the preinstalled IM's.

If you're using the preinstalled IM's you can stay logged in as long as you want :smileyhappy: No data charges as long as you use the preinstalled IM client.

Any 3rd party app or if you surf to the login, will use data.

Accepted Solution

Instant Messaging Question????

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2008 7:21:38 AM
(0)
Master

dcboyd69 wrote:
I have the Unlimited Messaging Family Plan for my phones. If I login to Windows Live IM and stay logged in will there be any charges for me being online all the time? If so, what is the time limit to being logged into IM?

Log out ASAP! You are using data, not messaging if you surf thru Medianet to the Windows Live IM.

You have to use the PREINSTALLED IM to IM from to count as messaging from your family messaging plan.

Re: Instant Messaging Question????

2 of 29 (10,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2008 7:25:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
I do not stay logged. I was just wondering if there was a time limit for using IM. When I am logged in it shows up as I am using the internet. I just don't want any extra charges on my bill. I do use the preinstalled IM's.

3 of 29 (10,172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 23, 2008 7:42:52 AM
(0)
Master

dcboyd69 wrote:

If you're using the preinstalled IM's you can stay logged in as long as you want :smileyhappy: No data charges as long as you use the preinstalled IM client.

4 of 29 (10,163 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2009 2:07:55 PM
(0)
Voyager

Zandora wrote:

dcboyd69 wrote:

Is the preinstalled client on my daughter's new Samsung Propel considered 3rd party?   She DOES NOT use the internet browser or ANY other internet apps and we are being charged pay per use data just for signing into the AIM client which is pre-installed on the Samsung Propel.  This flies in the face of paying $30/ mos for UNLIMITED text, IM's and picture messages.  This seems to be an ongoing problem with AT&T and their newer phones for people on Family Unlimited Messaging plans and it is FRAUD in my book if they don't do anything about it.

5 of 29 (9,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2009 3:38:53 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Jan 17, 2009 at 3:39:27 PM

beachbum4fun wrote:

Is the preinstalled client on my daughter's new Samsung Propel considered 3rd party?   She DOES NOT use the internet browser or ANY other internet apps and we are being charged pay per use data just for signing into the AIM client which is pre-installed on the Samsung Propel.  This flies in the face of paying $30/ mos for UNLIMITED text, IM's and picture messages.  This seems to be an ongoing problem with AT&T and their newer phones for people on Family Unlimited Messaging plans and it is FRAUD in my book if they don't do anything about it.

Have you actually received a bill with these charges?

Or are you only reporting what you see on your online account?

If the latter, wait for the bill before you get upset. All preinstalled IM logins and MMS data usage show up on the OLAM, but when the bill gets generated, these data charges are reconciled against the preinstalled IM and MMS usage and should NOT be billed.

If you actually received a bill with these charges, you need to call and dispute them.

Some customer care reps will give you spiel that you are charged for the data to sign in to preinstalled IM clients and to send MMS. If you get one of those reps, politely end the call and try again.

You may need to play musical reps until you actually get one that knows that preinstalled IMs and MMS do NOT get charged data.

However, you DO need to WAIT until you get the actual billed charges to dispute. There is nothing to dispute until you get an actual bill.

Good luck.

Message Edited by Zandora on 01-17-2009 06:39:27 PM

[ Edited ]
6 of 29 (9,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2009 4:34:34 PM
(0)
Voyager

Zandora wrote:

beachbum4fun wrote:

Have you actually received a bill with these charges?

Or are you only reporting what you see on your online account?

If the latter, wait for the bill before you get upset. All preinstalled IM logins and MMS data usage show up on the OLAM, but when the bill gets generated, these data charges are reconciled against the preinstalled IM and MMS usage and should NOT be billed.

If you actually received a bill with these charges, you need to call and dispute them.

Some customer care reps will give you spiel that you are charged for the data to sign in to preinstalled IM clients and to send MMS. If you get one of those reps, politely end the call and try again.

You may need to play musical reps until you actually get one that knows that preinstalled IMs and MMS do NOT get charged data.

However, you DO need to WAIT until you get the actual billed charges to dispute. There is nothing to dispute until you get an actual bill.

Good luck.

Message Edited by Zandora on 01-17-2009 06:39:27 PM

I did receive the charges on my bill.  After discussing with a CSR who annoyingly insisted that my daughter WAS using the internet, I was credited "as a courtesy".  My beef boils down to this:  You have to believe that there are many people like us who wish to use Instant Messaging but NOT the web/internet.  Therefore, when I saw that UNLIMITED messaging for the family is available for $30/mos., I paid $150+ upgrade fees to get my daughter a nice phone for texting and IM'ing only to find out that while IM'ing is unlimited, using the client is going to cost you on this Samsung Propel (by the way, my daughter's old phone was the Samsung C417 and she did a lot of IM's without ever incurring data charges).  I am then forced into NOT using one of the main features we bought the phone for or pay another $15/ mos. for data.  It just sucks and reeks of false advertising.

Now my options are to 1. Allow her to continue using the IM's and having to go thru this annoying hassle every month to get credited, 2.  contacting the BBB and Attorney General, or 3.  telling the poor girl she can't use her IM feature. 

I am not going to get railroaded into another $15/ mos. charge for data.  I think I'll do the first 2 options, and continue to report the shady business practice to anyone who will listen.

Do I sound bitter or emotional?  Good!  Bad news about a company by word of mouth seems to travel just as well as good news.  That's what they get for calling my daughter a liar about her internet use.

In case you have any doubts about her story, I picked out two days during the last bill cycle where I held possession of her phone and did exactly what she said she does: log into the pre-installed IM client on her phone.  Never opened up any other app or browser to confirm this.  I also noticed the 3G icon animate periodically while the AIM client is running (probably updating her buddy list and so on).

7 of 29 (9,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2009 6:59:18 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Jan 17, 2009 at 6:59:49 PM

I think this is a problem with AT&T's system.

It's not a published problem, but I remember another poster mentioning this same exact problem.

You should definitely file a BBB complaint if you when you call CS they refuse to credit your account.

Do NOT buy the data plan. You don't need it if you're only using the preinstalled IMs.

But you'll probably have to continue calling monthly for the credit until AT&T resolves the problem within their systems (assuming they are even trying to fix it at all).

Message Edited by Zandora on 01-17-2009 09:59:49 PM

[ Edited ]
8 of 29 (9,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2009 6:02:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I to have the same problem: http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=messaging&message.id=32305&jump=true#M32305

I was charged for using the installed IM client on my Propel phone.  For the first month, the charge was removed but was told that was only a one-time thing they would do.  I was charged the following month too and just have decided to stop using it since I don't want to go through all the time of calling every month.

9 of 29 (9,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 10:16:50 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by x35fighter on Jan 19, 2009 at 10:17:38 AM
i too have a samsung propel and discovered data charges on my bill.  what is also weird is that i believe that the built in IM clients on this phone was probably configured wrong.  after several google searches, i found that the proper IM settings were http://aol.cwmim.com:1171 (AIM).  when i checked out my phone's settings, i discovered the propel using http://aol2.cwmim.com:1171.  is this a mistake or are we supposed to be using this server instead of the previous one?  i believe this is the problem because i personally checked out my sister's quickfire, my old lg cu500, my girlfriend's lg shine, and my sister's old samsung sync, and noticed they use aol.cwmim.com:1171 for AIM.  and they have never been charged data usage, while i have.
Message Edited by x35fighter on 01-19-2009 10:17:38 AM

[ Edited ]
10 of 29 (9,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 4:43:50 PM
(0)
Voyager

Thanks for the info x35fighter.  Where do I look for these settings on the Samsung Propel?  I've been up and down the menu structure and can't find it.

11 of 29 (8,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2009 6:42:00 PM
(0)
Explorer

1. type *#6984125*# it should automatically open up some settings

2. select number 4, internals

3. when prompted for the master key, type *#9072641*# and confirm

4. select 6 protocol settings

5. select 8 IM settings

6. then select AOL and check if the server url is http://aol2.cwmim.com:1171/

7. assuming that it is aol2, delete the 2 in the url and save.  while you're at it, go through the rest of the IM programs (icq, msn, yahoo) and see whether there's a 2 in the url similar to the default aim url before changing.

so far, i've been using aim and i'm constantly monitoring the data usage online.  despite having 1 kb usage out of nowhere, this is a big improvement from the huge data usage before.  i hope this helps some propel users.

*WARNING* i'm still testing aim to see if i'm getting billed for data usage and also, don't mess with any other settings in the menu or else the phone may become unusable

12 of 29 (8,151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2009 8:49:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just wondering how things were going with the other people with this problem.

Thanks fighter, i will remove the 2 from my phone and see how it goes.

13 of 29 (8,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2009 10:23:50 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by x35fighter on Jan 29, 2009 at 10:34:41 PM

ok i have an update on my earlier suggestion.  well, so far after a couple of weeks using the new settings, i have not been charged for data usage.  i am still waiting for the bill 2 weeks away, but so far, i'm not expecting any charges.  for any propel user (or anyone having problems with their IM programs charging data), i suggest looking at the server settings for the programs.  they should be this:

AIM:  http://aol.cwmim.com:1171/

Yahoo:  http://yahoo.cwmim.com:1174/

MSN:  http://msn.cwmim.com:1175/

hopefully this will solve any problems with any other propel users.  i'll post an update later when this month's bill arrives.  and goodluck amunet.  hopefully the new server settings will help.  so far, its been doing good for me.

Message Edited by x35fighter on 01-29-2009 10:34:41 PM

[ Edited ]
14 of 29 (8,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2009 12:45:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just bought a propel + unlimited messaging.

I was using the phone's IM client today to chat on AIM as I was looking around the forum and stumbled upon this thread.

I checked my account's data usage and I only saw 47 texts show up for the time I was IMing, but no data charges. Though it was only this morning.

I looked at the url and it has the 2 in there.

Maybe this was a problem, but it was fixed? Or it only effects certain phones or people in a certain area?

It certainly can't be all propels or there would be many more people complaining.

15 of 29 (7,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2009 6:08:34 AM
(0)
Tutor
I see the data use show up today, but theoretically I shouldn't be billed for that, right? Yeah. *crosses fingers*

16 of 29 (7,896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2009 3:30:41 PM
(0)
Explorer
technically we're not supposed to, but apparently i got billed last month and so did some others.  i forgot the other thread, but there were a couple people with data charges using the built in IM program.  hopefully you don't get billed so we can see whether att fixed it or not, but in case u do, u should try out the server fix a few posts up.  goodluck with that.

17 of 29 (7,872 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 7:36:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

I tried your little trick and I saw no data charges in my online account for that day. Very cool. Though what bothers me is that other propel users will think it's normal to be billed for data and will just accept it, like I've seen on yahoo answers when I was googling this problem. Sneaky, sneaky.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

18 of 29 (7,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2009 11:22:22 AM
(0)
Explorer
no problem.  just wanted to help any other propel/att user who r getting billed because of att's stupid mistake.  it is kinda fishy they're selling phones that r improperly set, but good thing there's the internet.

19 of 29 (7,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2009 8:28:06 PM
(0)
Guru

Any idea how I would access that menu on a Motorola Z9?  I had the same issue with their pre-installed IM clients, but can't access the menu to verify the addresses being used.

20 of 29 (7,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2009 11:27:02 PM
(0)
Explorer

update:  success, the bill just came in, and no data charges.  so i suggest anyone that is getting billed to change their settings.

and about the z9, i haven't owned a moto for a long time so i have no idea how to change the settings.  i remember that in order to change things on a moto, there was some editing on the phone internals, but i forgot how to do that.  if u want to know more about hacking a moto, try googling seem editing.  goodluck.

21 of 29 (4,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 8:55:36 AM
(0)
Guru
Okay, I found how to see and check for the addresses, but the question I have now is that I have the cingular address along as well as the AIM, YIM, and MSN.  The only thing missing (there's no 2) from the IM addresses is the Port number.  Basically, I see "http://aol.cwmim.com" for AIM, "http://yahoo.cwmim.com" for Yahoo, and "http://msn.cwmim.com", so I'm going to have to go on the notion that the port number is vital as well. 

22 of 29 (4,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 10:48:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
what happens when you put in the port number?

23 of 29 (4,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 11:37:57 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by x35fighter on Feb 26, 2009 at 11:38:21 AM
hm...is there a separate area where u can put the port number?  for the samsungs it's with the address, but idk about the motorolas.
Message Edited by x35fighter on 02-26-2009 11:38:22 AM

[ Edited ]
24 of 29 (4,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 2:08:51 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Vampredator on Feb 26, 2009 at 2:10:28 PM
Not sure right now.  I have the set-up saved on my computer at the place where I stay at... I'm at work at the current moment. As soon as I get back there I'll post the list so you would also be able to see the view... I'll only post the AIM one though, since the sets were all the same (except the parts that read AIM, yahoo, or msn). 
Message Edited by Vampredator on 02-26-2009 02:10:28 PM

[ Edited ]
25 of 29 (4,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 6:15:22 PM
(0)
Guru

Okay, these are my current sets for the AIM application... the proxy address is what I was wondering about as well as the server address.

Server Information
===================
ServAddr:aol.cwmim.com
ServPort:0x0493
ServPostUrl:
ServProxyAddr:wireless.cingular.com:80
ServSmsAddr:
ServTranType:HTTP
ServCspType:XML
ServCmdTimeout:0xEA60
ServClieTime:0x3E8
ServKeepAlivTime:0xE10
ServKeepAlivMinTime:0x1E
ServKeepAlivAntTime:0x1E
ServPollTime:0xA4CB800
ServCirSupport:TRUE
ServLoginMeth:AOL
ServProtoVer:1.1
ServCloseSocketAfterResp:FALSE

26 of 29 (4,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 8:23:31 PM
(0)
Explorer
after googling the proxy address and that port, it seems that they're right.  i don't see any config problems.  idk wut is going on, maybe u should give att a call.

27 of 29 (4,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 1, 2009 10:00:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by hectorgutierrez on Mar 1, 2009 at 10:20:31 PM

i have a preinstalled IM on my phone and i just got charged for DATA usage wth anyone help me with my problem?

EDIT

just saw wat to do but i still dont get how to check my IM settings anyone help where do i type in those numbers

Message Edited by hectorgutierrez on 03-01-2009 10:17:30 PM
 EDIT
nvm i just got it now to test it out
Message Edited by hectorgutierrez on 03-01-2009 10:20:31 PM

[ Edited ]
28 of 29 (4,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2009 9:13:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by christinaj2009 on Mar 4, 2009 at 9:23:35 AM

Please see my topic 3G phones requiring data packages for IM messaging.

You will be charged for data. 

I will try this settings configuration, but as of right now I am still skeptical since my bill was over 600.00 because of data charges.

Message Edited by christinaj2009 on 03-04-2009 09:23:35 AM

[ Edited ]
29 of 29 (4,177 Views)