For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
markisC's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, December 15th, 2008 1:00 AM

Closed

I need help with AIM please!

I have the Sony Ericsson W580i phone. It did not come pre-installed with AIM. Does anyone know how i can get AIM on my phone? Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

15 years ago

Did you purchase this phone from ATT?  As far as I know IM was on those phones by ATT.  When you hit MENU > MESSAGING there is nothing called IM or anything along those lines?  Have you modified your phone?  Have you tried resetting to the factory defaults(this would cause you to loose everything on it)on page 60-61?

Goal:
Sign On to AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) on the Sony Ericsson W580i

Fact:
Sony Ericsson W580i
AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
Mobile Instant Messenger

Symptom:
Unable to access AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
Internet access

Change:
Standard instant messaging charges apply.
IMPORTANT: It is necessary to sign off of Mobile Instant Messaging from the mobile device before using Instant Messenger on a computer. Signing off from the mobile device will prevent the wireless account from incurring charges for all incoming Instant Messages.

Prerequisites

• Access to the data network 
  • The instant messaging screen name/number must already be configured though IM provider
  • Ensure the correct password is available. Login to the IM client using a computer before configuring these settings

Sign on to AIM

1. From the standby screen, press Menu. 
  2. Scroll to and select Messaging. 
  3. Scroll to and select IM.
    IMPORTANT: If AIM, Messenger, or Yahoo appears an account has already been setup.  If a Windows live or Yahoo account is setup, select Windows live or Yahoo>select Accounts>and then select Messenger. 
  4. Select Sign On
  5. Input the following:
    • Screen name: user's AIM screen name
    • Password: user's password
    • Save password:
  6. Select Sign on.  
  7. The AIM standby screen displays.

If unable to sign on to AIM

1. User names and passwords are case sensitive and may have special characters. Verify the characters are entered properly.
  2. Clear the device cache.
  3. Turn the wireless phone off then on.
  4. Sign onto AIM again.
  5. If problems persist:
    1. Check for known issues.
    2. If possible, attempt to login to the Instant Messenger service from a desktop or laptop computer. If the problem persists when trying to login from a desktop or laptop computer, please contact AOL at www.aol.com.
    3. If further assistance is needed, please contact Customer Care.
Note:

Related Topics

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

15 years ago

A lot of phones have a single IM app that lets you sign into multiple services (like AIM for instance).  What is the IM app that is on the phone?  Does it allow you to sign into AIM.  On page 31 (Messaging) of the users guide it shows the IM service and states it will after signing into the IM community it will show the community name in the title spot:

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

15 years ago

ummm, my phone did not come with ANY IM app...

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

15 years ago

Anything that says OZ or IM ?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

15 years ago

nope , nothing

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

15 years ago

well i think that this phone was ordered from sony ericsson directly. I dont have any anything about instant messaging on my phone. If you go to the sony ericsson site, they have this demo for the phone and you can try it out and stuff. My menu on my phone is the same as the phone in the demo. Nothing about instant messaing. Here is the ->link<- , go and take a look!

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

15 years ago

If you ordered it directly from Sony Ericsson then you won't have any IM installed on the phone since those are normally carrier specific.  So that would be why you do not see the ATT installed application since ATT didn't provide the phone.

It looks like you'll have to use a third party application and normally that means the messages are not counted against your messaging plan and are counted a data.

This is a program I see a lot of people using:

Voyager

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Oddly enough, my friend and I have the same problem but both of us purchased our phones directly from ATT and neither of us have updated our firmware. There is NO IM application under the messages menu and it baffled us considering the site says that the W580i should have it :[

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

Within the messaging menu, third item down there is no "Messenger"?  You then set that up to use whichever messenger account you want to use (AIM, Yahoo, Windows Live).

If not, and you are within the initial return period (30 days), I'd return the phones to the point of purchase for an exchange.  If you are outside of the initial return period but within the manufacturer's warranty (1 year if purchased as new phones, 90 days if purchased as refurbs), you could do a warranty exchange.

The number for at&t's warranty department is 1-800-801-1101, or you can visit one of their "Device Support Centers" if there is one nearby.

Device Support Centers

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.