Posted Aug 7, 2012
Getting charged for using mobile email app but I'm not using it!

The customer service reps haven't been able to help me with this- hopefully you all can! When I check my email on my phone I DO NOT use the mobile email app provided by OZ communications. I know they'll charge me $5 a pop so to check my email I instead go to the web browser where I have a bookmark set up to check my email. Despite my precautions I was still charged $5 on three separate occasions during the last billing cycle. I don't understand what's happening because I'm not using that app. Anyone think of any reason why I'd be charged for a feature I don't use? Help!

Getting charged for using mobile email app but I'm not using it!

8 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012
(0)
oh, I forgot to mention that I have the "data unlimited for non-smartphone" option for $10 a month. I don't know if that's relevant but I thought I'd add that!

Re: Getting charged for using mobile email app but I'm not using it!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I have a chiphoto keeps getting charged for this.  I have it taken off every time.  He doesn't check email on his phone.  Don't know how to make it stop! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2013
(0)

lectricblu wrote:

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I have a chiphoto keeps getting charged for this.  I have it taken off every time.  He doesn't check email on his phone.  Don't know how to make it stop! 

the thread is a 6 months old but the solution would be to call in and place a purchase block on the number, there is no charge for this feature

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013
(0)

I have been trying for months to stop the subscription to mobile email but, without fail, $5 deducted from my account balance every month. I cannot find an option to cancel or block mobile purchases, or to cancel this subscription.

Using 611 only allows me to buy features but there is nothing mentioned about canceling this subscription to mobile email.

Online, I finally located the management mobile purchases page, but I can't access my subscription because there is ALWAYS an error message (error 500).

I realize that, as a GoPhone customer with a non-smart phone, I cannot expect stellar customer service but this is borders on criminal. My next option is to start contacting government agencies and see if they can help.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013
(0)

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

I was getting the same repeated 500 error with Chrome.  When I used Safari to cancel that subscription it worked flawlessly.  I think I'm now rid of this monthly $5 charge from OZ Communications.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 13, 2013
(0)

I changed my browser to Firefox and it worked! 

Trying to contact customer service seems to loop back to the same useless menus.

Thank you, rsleek!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2014
(0)

I just had to call ATT to get this charge off my bill.  The rep found it and actually cancelled it online on some Cingular site where this email had been set up.  All I did was go in on the "mobile email" app on my phone and try to set up email, which i never sucessfully did.  (I didnt think)  The next thing I know, I'm being told I have an email account with Oz Communications.  I was charged $5.30 for this subscription. The rep looked it up and found it on my bill; then found the site online somehow and cancelled it for me.  She said it had nothing to do with ATT, so until Oz Communications bills you on your Att bill, the  Att reps cant see it.  I dont know how this happened because I'm very careful about what I download. If I  "accidentally"  signed up, then anyone could! 

Beware these pre-installed apps.

Deb