Posted Feb 25, 2014
6:35:42 AM
Can't tell if the new mobile share is worth it....need some help

I don't understand the 'catch' here.  I currently have two iphones on a 6gb plan.  So that is $160.  My current contract is up in November.

What do I lose by switching to the 10GB plan?  The rep on the phone said it will only be good until I upgrade my phone, which will require new 2 year contract.  Is that true?  I will lose the benefit of the cheaper service when I renew my 2 year contract?

We like getting new phones for 199 every two years, because I can sell my OLD phone for 1.5X times that on ebay and make my money back.

So, knowing that....what am I losing by upgrading the service?  What about phone subsidies and stuff?  Its incredibly confusing and the phone reps don't seem to have a good handle on it either.

Can't tell if the new mobile share is worth it....need some help

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2014 8:26:46 AM
(0)
Employee

brazosdog02 wrote:

I don't understand the 'catch' here.  I currently have two iphones on a 6gb plan.  So that is $160.  My current contract is up in November.

What do I lose by switching to the 10GB plan?  The rep on the phone said it will only be good until I upgrade my phone, which will require new 2 year contract.  Is that true?  I will lose the benefit of the cheaper service when I renew my 2 year contract?

We like getting new phones for 199 every two years, because I can sell my OLD phone for 1.5X times that on ebay and make my money back.

So, knowing that....what am I losing by upgrading the service?  What about phone subsidies and stuff?  Its incredibly confusing and the phone reps don't seem to have a good handle on it either.

First off, it sounds like you are on the old mobile share plan. If your cost is $160 for two phones, that is $100 for the 6GB plan and $30 access fee for each phone, right? If that is true, then you can stay on that plan and upgrade the way you normally do and your plan cost will not change. Bottom line, if you stay on the old mobile share plan, what the rep told you about upgrading is not true. However, if you switch to the 10GB plan or switch to the new mobile share 6GB plan, then everything the rep told you about upgrading is true.

Under the new mobile share plan, your monthly cost for the 6GB plan would be $130. That is $80 for the 6GB plan and $25 access fee for each phone. Alternatively, you could be getting 10GB for that same $130 ($100 for 10GB plan and $15 access fee for each phone). If you are on the new mobile share plan, this is where the cost savings goes away if you upgrade with a subsidized phone. If you get a new phone at the 2 year contract price, your access fee goes up to $40/month. So, if you upgraded both phones at the same time, your 6GB plan would increase by $30/month for the length of the contract (the 10GB plan would increase $50/month). Once the contract expires, the access fee would drop back to $25 (or $15). However, if you were to upgrade via the Next program (i.e. pay full price for the new phone), your access fee stays at $25 (or $15 if you have 10GB or higher plan).

What you need to figure out is whether that "cheap" phone is really cheaper than paying full price. That $30 more per month you pay over 2 years adds up to $720 ($50 more per month adds up to $1200 over 2 years). When you add in the cost of 2 new phones at $199 each plus $36 upgrade fees, that adds up to $1190 (or $1670). Depending on what phones you buy, paying full price isn't much different.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can't tell if the new mobile share is worth it....need some help