Posted Oct 21, 2009
1:06:04 PM
connection problem with my macbook pro
hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 8, 2011 2:26:30 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on May 8, 2011 at 2:28:09 AM

you have to go into the wireless settings of the modem http://192.168.0.254

go to home network -> wireless settings 

enter in router password

go down to additional settings -> wireless mode -> CHANGE to "b"

click save

go to home network -> advanced settings

go to private network -> click on 172.16.0.0

click save

101 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(101)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 17, 2010 10:01:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

after hours of frustration dealing with the helpdesks, I went out and bought a Cisco E1000 Wireless N Router. Installed it in 5 mins and Internet has worked perfectly ever since. 

I agree that we should not have to spend this extra money but I'm very happy to be able to be on the Internet continuously now with no issues. No more frustration for me :smileyhappy:

Re: connection problem with my macbook pro

61 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2010 11:49:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

We are experiencing the SAME EXACT problem. I went to the Apple store Genius Bar and the guy told me he had the same problem when he was with AT&T. He suggested buying Apple's Airport Extreme would be the best solution. I was going to attempt to call AT&T Tech Support but after reading all 7 pages worth of the complaints and failed possible solutions, I'm thinking my best bet would have to be to just buy the Airport Extreme. 

It's upsetting that after countless complaints and reports, AT&T has not taken the time to fix this problem. It is obvious that people are quickly switching to MacBooks and a compatibility between both the 2WIRE and Apple products needs to be made. 

Switching internet providers has come to our attention in our family, but we just recently bought a new 2WIRE box. So, unfortunately we're stuck with it for another year or so.

Has anybody found a better solution? Before I go off and buy an Airport Extreme for the ONE MacBook in our household.

62 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 13, 2010 4:03:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hey Penny, 

Congratulations.  You've learned how to copy and paste.  However, since the thread pertains to, and most people are using MacBook Pros, your recommendation of downloading the self support tool is inane and inaccurate.  

AT&T, in all of it's wisdom makes that tool ONLY FOR WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS. 

Unless of course, you meant to copy and paste the instructions on loading Windows onto a MacBook Pro. 

I've also been plagued with this issue, and everything was fine until my previous modem just gave up one day.  Five years, I'm not complaining.  As soon as they sent me the new 2701HG-B Gateway, I've had this problem.   And it sucks, and it's not EMI or bad wiring, because the new modem sits in the same freaking place as the old one.  It's not the wireless channel either, cause I've been through all of them. 

Tell you what, how about finding the SOLUTION to the intermittent connection problems and copy/paste THAT here? 

63 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 17, 2010 8:25:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

we all know how to copy and paste "instructions"

i just want to be able to use my macbook pro without disconnecting

plzz do something

64 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2010 3:38:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

1. Go to this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IYCUM8/ref=ox_ya_os_product
  2. Click on the 'Add to Cart' link 
  3. Buy it. 
Of course, you're going to have to have some wireless solution.  Perhaps you could use the 2Wire just for the wireless part of it, you'd have to investigate that on your own while the new modem ships.  Myself, I had an Airport Extreme from a friend, so I just plugged that into the ethernet port of the new modem. 
The Actiontec modem has kept me online without disconnect for 42 hours straight.  A good 15 hours of that I have spent online, using my macbook pro, working from home.  Not a single dropped connection.  NOT ONE.  Totally worth 43 bucks if you ask me.  
4. Put the 2wire gateway back in a box, and ship it back to AT&T, and demand a refund.  That's what I'm going to do. 

Re: connection problem... [HERE IS HOW I FIXED IT!]

65 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 8, 2010 7:28:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I thought I was Crazy but it is a legitimate problem and after three 2WIRE modems replaced I have the same problem any solutions out there Yet

66 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2010 11:31:05 AM
(0)

Hi there j03l ,

Please accept my most sincere apology for encountering such terrible issue. May I know what specific problem you come across on your 2wire modem? It would have been very helpful if you indicated it so we can give you solutions to resolve the problem.

Should you have questions or need further help regarding your post, please feel free to reply on this thread or you may call our Technical Support Helpdesk. You may reach them at 1 888 321 2375 if you are from these states - KY, TN, NC, SC, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL; and 1 877 722 3755 if you are located in CA, NV, KS, MO, OK, AR, TX, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, CT. Thank you for choosing AT&T Internet Services where we value your business.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

67 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2010 7:50:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

So what's the deal... is there a fix yet?????????

Update

68 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2010 10:31:16 AM
(0)
AT&T Internet Expert

Please, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Your issue would be best resolved if you work hand in hand with AT&T U-Verse tech support and troubleshoot according to their recommendations.

Hence, it is recommended that you contact AT&T U-Verse tech support at 1-800-288-2020 they work from Monday to Saturday between 8am-10pm CT, if require they will upgrade the firmware version of your 2 wire modem.

You may also contact AT&T U-Verse eChat support through the link mentioned below:

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Re: Update

69 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2010 10:34:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

How about you stop copying and pasting the same answer, Penny.

My parents are visiting me here in Georgia, with the exact same problem, and the exact same symptoms.

How about expending your energy working with Apple instead of exhorting your customers to work with 1-800-288-2020. This is clearly a problem between the router -- and by the way, mine is also a 2Wire -- and the MacBook (Dad has a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro).

How about a copy and paste answer that says "Hi, we've now been told about this problem for 15 months, and are finally actually trying to do something about it with Apple instead of aggravating our customers."

70 of 102 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 24, 2010 4:30:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

I do not know if it is a general solution or not, but when I changed the wireless security from WEP to WPA2, the random disconnects stopped.

This was based on a fair amount of research of the Apple discussion forums. Give it a try if you are seeing these problems, though obviously your mileage may vary.

71 of 102 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 25, 2010 2:35:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

HERE IS THE FIX! 

I was also experiencing the same dropped connection with the 2wire modem from AT&T. After reading through this forum, I decided to just take the advice of bridging the 2wire modem and using a WRT120n Lynksis router. I know that we should not have to spend extra money on a wireless router, when the 2wire combo should be doing the job, but I am very busy and the $47 dollars I paid for the router was worth it. 

I called AT&T and their tech support assisted me through the steps of setting the 2wire modem to full bridge mode. Then the Lynksis rep helped me set up the WRT120n wireless router. You can do this whole set up yourself (the instructions to bridge the modem have been posted in this forum), but I decided to just call AT&T and Lynksis to get this done quickly. 

The whole thing took about 1.5 hours to do, but I am no longer experiencing the dropped internet connections. I have been online now for three days and my Macbook has been working great. This was so worth it! 

72 of 102 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2010 10:36:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Another user here facing the same dilemma. I have dealt with this problem for about a year and figured it was just the result of 802.11 signal congestion. I faced all of the issues which have been described. When a black mac book connected to the network you might have an hour of two of web surfing and then you would get confronted with all these signal disconnect pages generated by the 2wire. When I moved to a new apartment there were far fewer 2wires and less signal congestion. So I decided it was another problem and not much to my surprise I came across this thread and tried to fix the problem.

Several step which I took

1. Had the line checked- no effect

2. Spoke with several at&t people and bounced around in several departments and none of them seemed willing to address the problem.

3. I was finally transferred over to the pay for it yourself tech support which I refused to do and was not told when the call was transferred that it would cost money. 

Then I decided to bridge the 2wire with an old linksys router. I was bounced around some more before I finally was connected to a level two tech who did a fair at best job of walking me through the steps to put the 2wire into full bridge mode. The website which helped the most was this one 

http://www.ehow.com/how_5160159_put-wire-bridge-mode.html

With the old linksys router with DHCP enabled, configured with the at&t login information, using WEP wireless encryption, I have been problem free for a whole day now. Im hoping this configuration is stable and I would probably recommend what other users have done to introduce a third party router. 

73 of 102 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2010 7:41:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been an at&t user for about 10 years and about 60 days ago got a 2-wire router to replace my old equipment. What a big mistake - the system just keeps dropping the signal.  I am running a hardwired dell pc with windows and a wireless macbook pro.  I don't think the mac works with the 2-wire  and keeps causing the dropping of the signal. I have called at&t several times and they even sent me another 2-wire and still had the same problem.  I finally gave up and followed the advice of others on here and bought the action modem and an apple airport router.  The system works great and faster than ever (no dsl drops in the last 6 hours). I will be calling tomorrow to send the 2 at&t routers back. The at&t costumer service was very nice and easy to work with; they just coud not and would not admit that there was a problem with the mac and the 2 wire. I hope this helps others and at&t shame on you for not fixing this problem.

David

74 of 102 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2010 6:47:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

It has been 6 days now and my system is working great. Not one drop in six days. If you are still having problems with the 2 wire and Mac just get rid of the 2 wire and save yourself a lot of headaches.

Update

75 of 102 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 29, 2010 9:44:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Working flawless for almost 1 year now. Dont waste your time with the 2wire to work on the wireless with your macbook!

Bridged my 2 wire and hooked up a  Cisco Linksys router Model: WRT120N. Perfect fit for me!!!!

Re: Update 2wire/cisco/macbook wireless works great !

76 of 102 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 12, 2010 11:29:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problems with my MacBook. I was going to contact AT&T, but after reading all of the posts here I see that would be a waste of my time. I am wireless but my roommate is not.   If I were to put my 2wire into bridge mode and use a different router to handle my wireless needs.  Would that affect my roommates computer which is directly connected to the AT&T modem?

77 of 102 (7,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2010 9:33:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by CorkyLaputa on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:34:52 AM

You have got to be $#!**! me!

I have a 2Wire 2701HG-B and use Mac's. Originally had a Speedstream 5100 which was replaced with a 2Wire to resolve a speed inconsistency issue which turned out to be a bad profile/oversubscription problem, but that is another story.

I have just spent the last 10 days going round for round with AT&T technical support troubleshooting intermittent DSL service drops and now I find this thread (and an AT&T forum at that)! To date I have had numerous calls to both level 1 & 2 technical support, two new 2Wire 2701HG-B gateway devices, 4 onsite technicians whom have tested the line, placed the service on a new pair, swapped ports at the CO 3 times, installed a splitter in the NID, replaced all connectors in the NID, ran the 2wire outside connected directly to the NID and witnessed the drops, all to no avail. I installed a 'home run' to the NID, installed a dedicated DSL wall jack (last AT&T tech replaced the CAT5 run and wall jack). I spent numerous hours trying different combinations of modem locations (RF/EMI?), changing every conceivable cable, nothing worked.

So, after reading this thread I place the 2Wire in bridge mode, turn off the wireless and use an Airport Extreme as the router/PPOE dialer/WAP. It has worked flawlessly for the past 12 hours, not single drop.

Why is this potential issue not documented in a knowledge base article that tier 1 (and above) technical support has access to? And more importantly, why is AT&T not working with 2Wire to update the 2701HG-B firmware to resolve the issue?

Unbelievable.

[ Edited ]
78 of 102 (7,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 6, 2011 8:40:20 PM
(0)
Voyager

I was having the exact same problems as posted by multiple subscribers on 8 pages here. I have a MacBook Pro and we have two other Macs (one iMac, one PowerMac G4 MDD, both hardwired).  The hardwired Macs would have occasional problems, but the MacBook Pro went offline CONSTANTLY. We tried several 'fixes' mentioned here and on the Apple forums -- moved the 2Wire up onto a wooden shelf near the ceiling in the center of the house, changed the wireless mode and channels, changed the security setting from WEP to WPA, cleared cache/cookies, called ATT a couple of times for line tests, etc.  Since we have no landline, lack of a DSL filter was not an issue.  After reading posts here and at Apple, we knew better than to engage in the futility and inconvenience of calling an ATT tech out to the house or have any of the hardware or wiring replaced.  

Nothing worked to stop the CONSTANT dropped DSL/Internet connections on the MacBook Pro until, last Sunday, I successfully bridged the 2Wire and hooked up a D-Link DIR-655 router.  I did call an AT&T Mac tech to walk me through the bridging process, and called a D-Link rep to walk me through configuring the DIR-655 router.  For some reason, I did have to reset my PPPoE password then reboot both routers and all computers as a final step.  It's been five days and I've only received one "you are not connected to the Internet" message that resolved instantly with a browser page refresh. I have lower-tier ATT DSL so sometimes it's a tad slow, and occasionally the connection hangs up for a second or two, but I've experienced NOTHING like the COMPLETELY DROPPED DSL/Internet connections MULTIPLE times per HOUR every single DAY since SEPTEMBER.

I found these websites to be helpful in this process:

2Wire Bridge Mode instructions (ATT tech followed this script word for word):

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=22&text=bridge&cat=&sort=

Configuring the third-party router:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24325019-2wire-with-external-router-process-

Thanks to the ATT subscribers on this forum, I can enjoy my MacBook Pro again and we don't have to consider going back to terrible TWC High-Speed (an even worse experience, if you can believe it, with no fix).

79 of 102 (6,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 9, 2011 1:38:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:46:44 PM

I have the SAME problem with my brand new macbook pro making the DSL DROP CONNECTION SOMETIMES EVERY 15 MINUTES IT MAKES ME WANT TO DO BAD THINGS.

Haha i registered on this forum in 2003!

ATT Should give me a router that is compatible with my computer. Wasn't i forced to buy this piece of crap. Thanks ATT i really appreciate it.

8 Pages of people with issues, yet you continue to SHIP this router and tell people to do the same stupid fixes. Does ATT realize how much money they are losing to service calls? Calling service techs out for an issue for 1000's of houses when the real issue is a piece of junk router. Its absolutely fraudulent they wont even acknowledge a problem exist.

Not one of ATT's higher management must use 1. Consumer DSL 2. Macbook Pro

[ Edited ]
80 of 102 (5,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2011 10:16:02 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:22:20 AM

att please stop. just stop it with these routers. you're just making people mad.

its obvious you signed some contract with 2wire to buy all their horrible routers and resell them to us.

[ Edited ]
81 of 102 (2,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2011 3:38:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oz_1 on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:51:47 PM

Been using Airport Extreme  for years through 4 providers with no real issues on both Mac and PC (Dell.Acer and HP).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
82 of 102 (2,634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 14, 2011 4:07:41 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:11:06 PM

the company does not want to admit there is a problem, at least as long as the guy who accepted the 2wire contract is in charge. because if there is a problem admitted then:

a) that person is directly responsible for the hundreds of thousands of dollars lost in service calls and tech visits when the actual problem is simply a faulty router

b) they will have to confront 2wire about this problem, harming their business relationship, since 2wire wont get all our money any more without doing something, or break contract...basically it would be a legal pain in the ....

c) admitting there is a problem means they would have to replace all our routers

d) what would they do with all the warehouses of these horrible routers

e) more i could think of

all of these things are a big hassle. i can pretty much guarantee that somewhere they are aware of all our issues and scuffing it off is somehow rationalized to be the most cost effective solution when it comes to job security for the people at fault.

[ Edited ]
83 of 102 (2,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2011 11:21:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

New to the forum... I just started having problems with this modem in February... the usual blinking green followed by the blinking red... the kicker for me is that the blinking usually starts after I quit out of a browser.  Google Chrome, Firefox, and Camino all seem to cause this modem problems, which is odd because as I said, they didn't really start until February... it's a shame that I'd have to buy another router and use this modem as a bridge in order to get the service that I'm paying for... it's ridiculous that AT & T is going out of their way to try and absolve 2Wire of any and all responsibility for this issue... they've got us checking our wall connections, line connections, looking for other electronics in the area "that might cause a disturbance" (really, AT & T?  It's 2011, not 1994) with the modem, making sure that the computer is at least 10 feet away from the modem... all of this running around in circles is absurd...

84 of 102 (2,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2011 10:55:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hooooray!

After only one week with my new MacBook I was going crazy, I almost returned it.  

I followed the advice of some in this thread and bridged my 2Wire and bought a $49 Netgear N300.

Fantastic! it took me about an hour and now have excellent service.  I am of course bothered the my AT&T hardware wound not work, but I am surfing again.

Thanks for the excellent advice!

85 of 102 (2,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 2, 2011 9:46:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

att please give me a new router

i have switched to wireless-b mode or whatever the lowest letter setting is, and i no longer get the red light desync issue

however the modem just poops itself just the same.....doesnt respond to pings....its obviously affected by my WEB traffic

att please give me a new router and everyone else afflicted with this problem

2wire router is a piece of junk

86 of 102 (2,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 3, 2011 5:31:56 PM
(0)
Employee

I have ran across this issue a few times myself, as well as some of the Mac users here. 

A few things that may/may not help.

Network name of the Mac-  Apparently some 2wires freak out because the network name (machine name) isn't proper or uses non-standard characters. This apparently drives the 2wire nuts.

Changing the base IP address from a 192.168.x.x to say a 172.16.0.x or another base address- Apparently someone I worked with a while ago found that his Mac was arp'ing the (&^$%*(%&*$) out of the base address causing the 2wire to shut down/reboot because the 2wire think's it was being attacked.  I never did find out which version of the O/S that was but one clue we did discover is the 2wire was reporting a attack from an internal address in it's logs.He did open up a Genius Bar ticket on this and he would e-mail me back if he ever got an answer as to why, but so far I haven't gotten anything back.

Change the 2wire's wireless channel- Most 2wires come on a default  channel 6. If there is other more powerful devices on those channels it might be just be plain wireless noise. Now for windows there is a utility called "netstumbler" you can run and see what channels are occupied. The idea here is simple, find the channel not showing up and use that one.

Watch the number of ports that are open- Had another instance where the Mac was opening up too many ports on the 2wire and the 2wire would just reboot and drop the connection. This one happend on wireless as well as wired.

Again keep in mind these are tips that may/may not help.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

87 of 102 (2,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 3, 2011 6:12:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

David, thank you for the insight.

I had a feeling it had something to do with ARP packets maybe.

I will try to change the subnet ip range, and report back if it works.

Also regarding the too many ports open problem, im not sure how to fix that one besides enabling the mac firewall?

88 of 102 (2,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 3, 2011 7:28:47 PM
(0)
Employee

themack707 wrote:

David, thank you for the insight.

I had a feeling it had something to do with ARP packets maybe.

I will try to change the subnet ip range, and report back if it works.

Also regarding the too many ports open problem, im not sure how to fix that one besides enabling the mac firewall?

not sure on the ports one either. THat one can happen to windows and MAC machines none the less. We call it the bit-torrent kill of the 2wire as typically it would max out the connection table in the 2wire as well as max ports open. This too will cause the 2wire to reboot/disconnect. Now the 2wire keeps the connection count to 2048 I believe. My thought is what on earth are you doing with 2048 connections to begin with? The MAC firewall might not be a bad idea as you can get a first hand look at what ports are going in and out. I would also make them match to the 2wire's interface as well. Least if the 2wire "knows its coming" the 2wire already has it enabled.

The ARP packets didn't make sense till that guy tried another old linksys he had and it was choking that one out as well. Ironically all the windows based machines were fine (go figure!).

I am not sure and I haven't seen it anywhere, where the 2wire handles uPnP connections. When I saw the interfaces I can't say I saw it on a particular page, however the 2wire may just handle it and not report it.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

89 of 102 (2,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 5, 2011 2:12:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

I changed the network to 172.16.x.x.

This has seemed to have fixed the problem, after a day of dhcp issues and what seemed like the same problem as before.

But today its been rock solid. I changed back everything to default basically with g connectivity, with wpa2 and have had my vpn connected, and its been solid even going on some video chat sites that would reset the connection many times.

TO ANYONE HAVING ISSUES TRY AND CHANGE THE SUBNET IP RANGE TO 172.16.X.X

Thank you again, David! If this is in fact not the solution I will of course post again, but obviously I'm impressed enough to make this posting.

90 of 102 (2,478 Views)