12-28-2012 06:10:02 AM
In October, my ActionTec modem died, and I got what seems to be an "AT&T approved" DSL modem from BestBuy to replace it Although it's not exactly straightforward to figure out what rebranded thing it is, I finally was able to determine that it is a Pace 4111N. I went through the whole process of pretending to start DSL service (I've already had it for many years), and let the AT&T system do whatever it does to the settings in my modem.
It has been working, but it always seemed like page loading was getting hung up quite often. It certainly wasn't fast, but since I only have the 1.5 Mps service, I guess I wasn't expecting too much.
But I've been trying to download an update to some software I have for some days now, and it has become clear that there's a problem with the modem, the service, or both. The file I'm trying to download is around 530 MB. I know, from a user forum, that many users have downloaded it in a matter of minutes, so I know the server isn't the problem.
When I try to download, using Firefox, the download will start, often beginning at dial-up-like speeds of around 36 kbps, and will climb up to around 150 kbs for a while, and then dribble down to around 20 kbps. If left that speed, it will sometimes speed up again to around 150 kbps on its own, but that isn't certain. I can also put the download on "Pause" for a moment, then restart it, and that will sometimes get it back to the 150 kbps level. But doing a "Pause" only works a few times, before the download fails. I've tried around ten times, and the most of the file that ever was downloaded was around a third of it
I've also tried using Internet Explorer for this, but that doesn't even begin the download. And I tried a pluging download manager for it - it did start the download, but eventually failed, just like the Firefox downloads.
Anybody have any idea of how to fix this? I have the idea that all it needs is a tweak in the modem's settings, but I don't know what it is.
12-28-2012 08:30:10 AM
Welcome to the forum. I have included a link for DSL setup and troubleshooting. I am also wondering if you still have your old connection set up as well. Double click My Computer, click on Network Places, then View Network Connections. See if you have multiple connections running. Also is this happening with every file you download or this one particular file?
You can also call in to our DSL help line at 1-800-288-2020 and tell them you are installing a new modem.
If things still aren't working correctly feel free to drop a Private Message to one of out ATTCustomer Care members by using the following link. Please include your name, email address, phone number and the best time to be reached.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
12-28-2012 04:44:49 PM
I think I've done all of the setup and troubleshooting steps already, although it is a bit confusing to figure out whether I've really exhausted all of the possibilities or not. There is just one connection running (I'm using Windows 7 (x64), by the way).
This slowdown and failure can happen with any large download, not just this one. I remember that the same thing happened with another file I was trying to download a few weeks ago, and I just gave up on it, since it wasn't something I actually needed. However, file I am focused on downloading right now is something that I do need.
I am hoping to get the problem fixed via this forum, rather than going the tech support route, which tends to use up a lot of time.