steveboard's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 1:19 AM

PACE 4111N modem / router

I've installed the PACE 4111n modem, which has a router built in. Two questions:

Is there supposed to be a CD with this product?  The docs mention it but in my box none was included.

Second:  Would there be an advantage to using an external router?  I had recently bought and installed a LinkSys 2500 and it works well. Possibly it's a better or faster router than the one built in to the PACE.  Opinions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@steveboard wrote:

I've installed the PACE 4111n modem, which has a router built in. Two questions:

Is there supposed to be a CD with this product?  The docs mention it but in my box none was included.

Second:  Would there be an advantage to using an external router?  I had recently bought and installed a LinkSys 2500 and it works well. Possibly it's a better or faster router than the one built in to the PACE.  Opinions?

Probably the only thing useful on the CD would be the manual. You should not need any extra software to use the Pace.

More often than not, the use of a secondary router is either for isolating the VOIP and IPTV traffic from your computer traffic or to improve on the wireless on the AT&T supplied Modem/Gateway/Router which is normally "G".

If you've received the Pace 4111n you don't have worry about VOIP or IPTV traffic and it already has "N" MIMO wireless. So I would not bother with the secondary router unless the Pace proves to be inadequate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I ordered the internet, tv and phone bundle from Directv.All I wanted was a wireless network between my two laptops and the Directv receivers. Actually thought I'd get a modem with voip phone but have dsl and phone lines and then coax coming in from back door to living room and down the hall  to the bedroom and additional power cords. As it is I have a giant spaghetti monster wad of cables all over the house, exactly what I wanted to get rid of.

Directv got here first and set up a Genie receiver with dvr and a basic rceiver for bedroom. Genie could not work without wireless internet so I couldn't record, start over or watch on demand. A couple of days later ATT came to setup wifi but the  modem they sent  was ethernet only. He had a used dsl router on the truck so he set up the Pace router, model 4111n but he couldn't get it to connect wirelesssly to laptops so I connected one laptop with ethernet and viola!!! networked wireless to the other and the router was shown on the network. Genie was a no go and he couldn't help. I spent many happy hours with both companies support resetting Genie and adding info for those who could not help me except  to request my router be added to a list for software upgrade to support Directv. So I went to the Pace website and after downloading the manual I was able to get around  prettty well  despite my disabilities and fiinally got  both ipv4 and 6 broadcasting...yesssss! and was able after a little Windows 10 editing to get Homegroup working but now that's gone without ethernet connection.and now have Directv receivers showing up as media devices on the network but they aren't broadcasting any other info other than mac addys.The router is now gone, greyed out, no info and using the manual I tried to add Genie to network. It wouldn't connect wirelessly even when pushing WEP key on webpage (not one on device) and adding mac addy to allowed devices  I finally figured out that I had  to move the router and connect  with etthernet to connect Genie. Now the router no longer shows up on my network map, it's greyed out. Both receivers and both laptops are there but I have no connections between them or info, just internet. On the Pace website they say it should come with Elements software to connnect all devices, including pay tv, to your wirelesss network. I still cannot get GenieGo, the software allowing remote control and watching tv on your laptops to work and networking between the two laptops and router is present only with ethernet to one laptop but unless I get yet another very long ethernet cable to run alongside the coax from the licving room down the hall to bedroom I'm outta luck. Wouldn't it be great to be able to watch my recorded  tv from Genie on my laptop. It would also be nice to play downloaded movies and dvds on the laptop and project to wireless tv through Genie. Don't need software? Would you please explain to me, this old lady who only has 35 years or so working with computers why this device specific software is not needed to connect all my devices wirelessly?  BTW I  have run all Dell and Microsoft troubleshooters and looked at their message boards. 

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have a ATT 4111N modem . will a Netgear AC1200/Model WX6150v2 range extender work with it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.