hav's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 5:33 PM

My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting

we noticed this a while back. never really cared for it, but now its getting annoying since i just bought a new modem thinking that there was something wrong with the old one. i dont know exactly whats going on.....it works fine for about 30 minutes then it just resets. streaming movies, playing online games and even browsing the internet have become a hassle....pls help!

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

ok, according to my sources the new pace units will not have 10/100/1000 but just 10/100. As well as most of the netgear units I confirmed are 10/100 as well. This one isn't much of a shock to me as I have my own gigabit ethernet router and my dsl runs through just the modem.  I haven't seen any really good quality gigabit ethernet routers hit the market either. The one I was considering (a linksys e4200) apparently gets bad reviews with the router giving out after only owning it a year. 

dd-wrt and even m0n0wall has a listing of gigabit ethernet cards they will support. part of me kind of wants to go that route, or see if dd-wrt (x86 version) goes that route. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Wow, wish I would have searched google for the answer to my att 2wire modem recycling a couple months ago when I first had issues.  I've had a tech out 4 times and each time it's working fine for them.    Always thought the issue was related to signal or on their end.  Just read this article and tried turing off/on the wireless on my iphone.   As soon as I turned it on and watched a Youtube video the modem cycled off and on!   I remembered that I had recently turned up the power setting to try to remedy our Wii not always connecting wirelessly.  So I turned it down from 10 to 5 and that fixed the problem.   Found that I can turn it to 8 and it looks like its not having any issues.    I used the inSSIDer software to verify that channel 5 was not being used by anyone else.  Thank you for your help!  

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

cool, glad it fixed yours. truthfully if the signal isn't that strong in a certain part of the house, I would get a cat5e wire and set up another access point. 

I have been looking into one of these to replace an AP that has been giving me problems for a while now. This would work for the 2wire as another access point and you could mimic your 2wire and have essentially the 2wire signal penetrate more of a home structure that may not be the most wireless friendly. One cat5e cable placed correctly and in the weak spots can make all the difference in a wireless network. 

what I am looking at:  http://goo.gl/IGssS

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

David: AT&T's specs for the Pace 4111N just read "high powered".  Would you say that is equal to N150, N300 or N600 "high powered".    Also, is the above rumor of AT&T selling the DGND3700 true to your knowledge?

Employee

• 

442 Messages

12 years ago

I don't have complete technical specs on the pace 4111n as of yet. I do know it is a dual core unit though and is supposed to carry wireless N networking. I do know per specs that the 4111n is only a 10/100 wired unit so I wouldn't expect wireless N to be a super performer here, as the lan ports will only be 10/100 from current rumored sources. I would expect N150 in that regard, however it may perform better than what data I do have. 

The DGN unit you mentioned is for ADSL2/2+ and is more specific for IPDSLAM and UVerse Internet deployments. I don't have any specs on them currently. I do know we are carrying netgear as a supplier of modems and the netgear/westell 7550 we currently support I know has wireless b, g, and n per the document, however I do not have complete specifications in front of me at this time. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Thankyou David on behalf of everyone who you have helped with this issue.

I had no idea this was such a common problem until I found this thread.  The symptoms I had were not related to your err_cma message (to my knowledge as I was unable to find this error in my log).  And my router was set to channel 3 (which ended up also being okay).  The authentication was WPA (not WPA & WPA2) however when I changed to WPA2 the problem was fixed!  No issues for me anymore, and I would like to extend this solution to everyone else who is having problems even though you already stated it many times haha

Thanks again, and goodluck to everyone experiencing 2wire problems!

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting your solution to help others. Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have same problem when I comnect two devices (Window 7) via Wireless. It's not a problem while all connected devices are using different OS (Mac, Window 7, Window XP).

The modem will be auto reset and the problem will be resolved automatically after 2 -5 minutes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I had been having the same problems since AT&T replaced my broken Siemens Slipstream modem with the new 2Wire modem/wireless router combo unit.  Two or three times an hour, the connection would drop out, the DSL light would blink red and it would be a minute or two before the connection was restored.

I called AT&T at least ten times trying to get the problem fixed. The service agents were always very nice and polite, constantly apologizing for the problem and promised to take care of it. They'd run line checks, always reporting a fault in one of the lines, and set up an appointment from a service technician. I did countless power resets, checked filters, unplugged cordless phones, and grasped at many other straws, but nothing worked.  The service techs were just as nice, but I was losing patience because the problem persisted. It was getting so bad that I was seriously considering dumping our AT&T DSL.

Finally, Bill from the St. Louis AT&T customer service center apparently saw my repair request and took the initiative to call me. The guy should get a big raise, because he's the one responsible for me still being an AT&T customer. He walked me through the following easy-to-do procedure which has finally solved the problem:

- First, log into your AT&T 2Wire modem by entering 192.168.1.254 into the URL bar of your browser.

- Second, click on the "Firewall" icon at the upper line of the home screen, then go to "Advanced Settings" - you may have to enter your password to get past this step.  Then, on the "Edit Advanced Firewall Settings screen, under "Attack Detection", uncheck "Packet Flood" (SYN/UDP/ICMP/Other).

- Finally, click on the "Home Network" icon at the top of the page, then click on "Wireless Settings" in the second line from the top of the screen. Then, towards the bottom of the new page, under "Additional Settings" - change the wireless mode to 802.11b (mine was originally 802.11b/g, which I assume is also the factory default setting).

Bill even took the time to explain to me what each step was doing to fix the problem, but it was mostly Greek to me and my eyes glazed over quickly.

Good luck. I hope this works for others.

Russ

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Unfortunately, our At&t wifi is never going to work. The tech who is responding on here is lying. He knows it is a defective system. About a year ago I had wifi and had it turned off because it was so defective. I did phone consults, techs came to our place - nothing worked. They tried to blame the old wiring in the walls. PROBLEM, our place is NEW and never lived in before.

So, you may be wondering why we signed up again. Well, I figured they worked out the bugs. NOPE. It's worse than ever. The wifi must turn off 20 times per hour. We have NONE of the problems listed in the techs list, below. Based on the techs troubleshooting problems, no internet would ever work anywhere on the globe.

Unfortunately, we are going to be turning our service off. There is no fix, but they take our money. Oh well.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.