Posted Mar 16, 2013
8:14:30 PM
Issue with lag spikes at 10 pm or 11 pm ish every night

Hello,

I currently have AT&T DSL 3.0 MB/s. When my connection is stable, it usually averages around 2.8 MB/s on speedtest.net or on AT&T's test site. However, most every night around 10 or 11 pm my connection becomes incredibly unstable, with pings in the 200s or higher and DL speeds anywhere from .4 MB/s to 1.2 MB/s. This never used to happen, and it only became an issue sometime in the Fall of 2012. Around that time our internet went out for the night and when I called AT&T they said they were working on lines in our area. Ever since then, we've gotten this terrible lag spike at the same time every night. It's very inconvenient because this is when I use the internet the most, and I get pages that don't load when I'm trying to do work online, and I get kicked out of games do to lag when I'm trying to play Battlefield 3.

Issue with lag spikes at 10 pm or 11 pm ish every night

25 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 16, 2013 9:00:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Tests by time

11.00 pm PING 149 1.12 MB/s

11.24 pm PING 99 .90 MB/s

11.36 pm PING 98 .70 MB/s

11.59 pm PING 92 .66 MB/s

It jumped A LOT on those DL speeds too. Like it would be at .1 or .2 for most of the test and then suddenly jump up to .9 or whatever it ended on. I get similar results every time I test when this lag happens.

Re: Issue with lag spikes at 10 pm or 11 pm ish every night

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 5:39:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Mar 17, 2013 at 5:40:47 AM

noarmsduck wrote:

Hello,

I currently have AT&T DSL 3.0 MB/s. When my connection is stable, it usually averages around 2.8 MB/s on speedtest.net or on AT&T's test site. However, most every night around 10 or 11 pm my connection becomes incredibly unstable, with pings in the 200s or higher and DL speeds anywhere from .4 MB/s to 1.2 MB/s. This never used to happen, and it only became an issue sometime in the Fall of 2012. Around that time our internet went out for the night and when I called AT&T they said they were working on lines in our area. Ever since then, we've gotten this terrible lag spike at the same time every night. It's very inconvenient because this is when I use the internet the most, and I get pages that don't load when I'm trying to do work online, and I get kicked out of games do to lag when I'm trying to play Battlefield 3.

Hi Duck,

Can you determine a more specific time that the lag starts?

After the lag starts, how long does it last (minutes, hours, rest of night)?

Are you the only person/device using your internet connection?

How are your device(s) connecting to your modem/gateway/router (wired or wireless)?

What modem/gateway/router are you using (manufacturer/model)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 1:41:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's kind of random when it starts, but it's always around 10-11 pm, eastern. It usually lasts past midnight, sometimes until 1 am, but last night it stopped at around 12.45. My computer is connected wirelessly, my xbox 360 is connected wired. When the lag spikes happen both have slow and spikey speed issues. I have the Netgear 7550 gateway device. No one else is using the internet when this happens

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 2:31:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

noarmsduck wrote:

It's kind of random when it starts, but it's always around 10-11 pm, eastern. It usually lasts past midnight, sometimes until 1 am, but last night it stopped at around 12.45. My computer is connected wirelessly, my xbox 360 is connected wired. When the lag spikes happen both have slow and spikey speed issues. I have the Netgear 7550 gateway device. No one else is using the internet when this happens

So, are there other devices besides your computer and Xbox that are connected to and/or use the 7550? It's possible other devices are doing updates or cloud back-ups. Have you checked the DHCP client list in the 7550 to insure no one outside your home is "borrowing" your internet wirelessly?

Can you post screenshots of your line stats during a good time and a bad time. Line stats can be found by logging into your 7550 and clicking on the "Advanced" button on the left and then on the "Statistics" button below that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 7:34:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2013 5:54:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

noarmsduck wrote:

Good time

[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/17v5nb.png[/IMG]

Bad time

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/72rg5u.png[/IMG]

Well, from what I can see, there is definitely a degradation of signal quality from the "Good" time to the "Bad" time, but not a really severe drop.

Did you just reboot the router shortly before the second (Bad) screenshot? The "Good" screenshot shows multiple recorded signal losses and CRC errors, but the "Bad" screenshot does not.

I think we need a longer data set. There is definitely something going on, but I think you'll need some more "evidence". Try letting the 7550 run for two to four days without rebooting it if possible so you can get a screenshot of the stats that shows more signal loss and errors.

I'll try to get someone from the escalation team on this for you.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2013 9:59:56 AM
(0)
Community Support

Noarmsduck,

I am sorry to hear about the troubles you are having.  If you could please send us a Private Message along with your account information.  We will be happy to have a look and see what we can do to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Ray, AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2013 4:38:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

I sent a private message, and here is my latest stats

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/13z7kvn.png[/IMG]

It's really bad right now for some reason, highest the speed has been this past 30 minutes is 1.17 mb/s. It's rather early for this to be happening as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 22, 2013 6:11:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Mar 22, 2013 at 6:13:31 PM

noarmsduck wrote:

I sent a private message, and here is my latest stats

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/13z7kvn.png[/IMG]

It's really bad right now for some reason, highest the speed has been this past 30 minutes is 1.17 mb/s. It's rather early for this to be happening as well.

Great, I'm sure Customer Care can get you on the road to recovery and back in the fast lane to the internet.:smileyhappy:

I would keep capturing screenshots of the stats though so you have some data for your case, and be sure to stop back and let us know how it goes (good or bad).

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 23, 2013 5:46:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Lag started at 8:41 pm tonight. Upload is .47 mb/s with ping up to 100

Stats page

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/pm1dd.png[/IMG]

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 8:55:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

Lag has still been an issue but was pretty good during the past four days. However tonight it has been terrible. Started at around 11.15 pm.

Here is the stats page

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/5ogmlz.png[/IMG]

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2013 7:11:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

New stats for tonight's lag. Started at 10 pm

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/20mfso.png[/IMG]

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2013 7:30:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow it has been really bad tonight. Download speeds all over the place and I can't even get into a BF3 game. Not to mention my browser pages are failing to load half the time. This is truly horrible service. Why would it turn to garbage like this at seemingly random times and be normal otherwise? I've been on the phone with countless people about this and I've gotten no answer. They reset my line when I'm on the phone with them and then sometime during the course of the phone call (which lasts 45 minutes on average) the connection returns to normal and the rep says that it looks fine now and they will monitor it for 24 hours. Then it's the same old situation a couple days later. I sent a message to the help account on here and they replied two days ago saying they would look into this and I haven't heard anything since.

This fluctuation of service, especially when it's happening during evening hours when I need it for work and gaming, is completely unacceptable. I'm paying for 3 mb/s, and while I realize I'm not going to get the full of that, it should NEVER go under 2 mb/s. At normal times it's fine at 2.6-2.8 mb/s, but during these lag spikes it goes down to under 1 and I can't do anything. I'm extremely frustrated that no one seems to have an answer and I keep having to talk with reps on the phone who run me through the same tests and troubleshooting that I've done countless times before to no avail.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013 2:12:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

stats3.png

5:05 pm today. I can't even get speedtest to give me a speed and I have to refresh a web page 3 times for it to even load. Took me 5 minutes just to upload that picture

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013 2:15:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow, much better now. Speed is at 3 mb/s but also unstable

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013 5:21:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Aaaaaand it's back. 8.15 pm .26 mb/sec DL with 57 PING

stats4.png

The connection seems better than before, but it's still wildly inconsistent. Like it will be at 2.8 mb/s and then for a period of 10 seconds or more it will go down to less than 1 and then go back. This really screws me over when I'm submitting forms online or in a multiplayer game.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013 5:47:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

After I last posted, connection was stable until 8.45 pm, when it went down to .75 mb/s

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013 8:27:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Lag again at 11.25 pm

Ping 70 .40 mb/s DL

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 28, 2013 7:24:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

Lag started at 10:19 pm tonight. 107 ping 1.12 mb/s DL

stats5.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 30, 2013 4:56:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

7:55 pm 56 ping .18 mb/s

stats6.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 1, 2013 9:47:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

12:45 pm tonight. It was happening earlier a little after 11 but I didn't get a chance to get stats back then

56 ping, .85 mb/s download

stats7.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 3, 2013 5:17:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

Huge spike starting at 8:15 pm tonight. Went down to .5 mb/s for 30 seconds then right back up to normal again. Still kicked me from my game though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2013 7:50:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

Started at around 10:45 pm tonight. Ping was fine at 55 but download is down under 1.3

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 6:51:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

9:45 pm tonight lag spike. Ping 70 (which is ok) DL speed .55 mb/s (which is unacceptable) .25 UL

stats10.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2014 8:42:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did you ever get any resolution to this? it seems like you gave some information and were ditched in the end based on what I can see right here, I'm dealing with a similar problem (it starts around 6 to 7 pm each night though) atm and am all over the place trying to figure it out, that's why I ask.