Welcome to the DIRECTV Community Forums - connect with users, ask questions, and find answers!

indiblu5's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 29th, 2010 11:02 PM

Utilizing a Clear HOT SPOT Wireless connection: How is the WHole Home DVR Service supposed to get connected?

My installers came yesterday and I ordered the Whole Home Service.  I advised the Tech. that I had a HOT SPOT by Clear, no router, no modem, just the hot spot.  He obivioulsy did not know if the service could be hooked up or utilized.  HE said it was all working.  Come to find out, Direct TV Told me it has to have a direct hardline. 

Does anyone know how to utilize and install the HOTSPOT as your internet connnection to link to the Direct TV.  Can you utilize an HDMI to do this.  Please help.  The installer is coming back tomorrow to see if he can fix it.

Guru

• 

535 Messages

14 years ago

You don't need a Internet connection in order to get WHDVR to work. The connection to the Internet allows you to optimize your Directv services with Video On Demand, Media Share from PC and ordering PPV movies with the remote. Since you clearly connect to someone else's Internet I wouldn't recommend it, but the only way to get the Internet connection is by using a Wireless to Ethernet adapter. It might not work because not knowing the configurations of the Hotspot as far as being DHCP compliant or not. The Wireless to Ethernet adapter will have to be purchased by you and they start around $50 and work there way up depending on brand and connection speed.

Professor

• 

4.2K Messages

14 years ago

The Clear HOTSPOT is a sort of personal hot spot that you setup wherever you are using the 4G or 3G network as your link to the internet. It is your own access and account, so it isn't like you're piggy-backing on the free WiFi business provide.

It should be no different than having a wireless router from a Cable or DSL provider and it looks like they support up to 8 WiFi connected devices, presumably using normal protocols and DHCP. However, as irish indicated you'll need a Wireless to Ethernet adapter (aka Wireless Gaming Adapter); something like the Linksys WET610N.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

The clear spot is my secured hot spot.  It is not anyonelses it has a secure settings

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

Guru

• 

646 Messages

14 years ago

I suspect that an Internet Connection Kit with a wireless ethernet adapter will do the job.  You will need to set up the security keys on the adapter using a computer.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

14 years ago

I'm not so sure.  When a Whole Home DVR system is connected to a DHCP router, the router manages the IP addresses etc in each of the networked IRDs.  Not sure what is going to furnish that service here.  A router between the IRDs and the wireless device would be handy, would allow connecting the computers in the home to the DVR's.

Professor

• 

4.2K Messages

14 years ago

Based on what I can see, the Clear HOT SPOT device must have routing and  DHCP facilities built-in since it supports the simultaneous wireless connection of 5 or 8 (depending on the model) wireless devices... computers, smart phones, game consoles etc. Looks like it would be no different that having a cable or DSL modem/router/wireless setup, except that the WAN side is wireless too.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

I just had Direct TV installed on Oct 28th, 1 HD-DVR and 2 HD Receivers, Whole Home system. Part of my order was the Home Cinema Connection kit. The installer appeared to not have a clue about setting up the internet portion and told me I could not because I did not have a cable outlet near my Router. I told him I had wireless and he said I still needed a Cable outlet. I've been reading here on the forum and also called CSR and she said because I had the Whole Home setup, I could not use a wireless ethernet setup connected directly to the ethernet port on my HD-DVR. She said it would conflict with the WHDVR setup with is already networked. Someone please tell me this is not true? I would rather setup the Internet portion myself because I do not think my installer knows' how to do it.

Professor

• 

4.2K Messages

14 years ago

With DirecTV installed WHDVR you can not connect your network directly to any of the receivers, it must be connected through the DECA provided by the Cinema Connection Kit. If there was no cable outlet near the router, then the installer should have run one as part of the installation. A wireless Ethernet adapter between your network and the Cinema Connection Kit should also work, but isn't officially supported by DirecTV; they prefer a hardwired connection and should run a coax to the router if necessary.

Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

14 years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by krispie12 

CSR and she said because I had the Whole Home setup, I could not use a wireless Ethernet setup connected directly to the Ethernet port on my HD-DVR. She said it would conflict with the WHDVR setup with is already networked.

Totally true.  If you connect any device to any of the Ethernet ports on a Whole Home DVR receiver, it will disable the Whole Home system.  Attached is a schematic of how the router must be connected.  You can probably connect a wireless adapter in the spot where the router would connect, but not directly to any box.

1 Attachment

NEED HELP?

New to the Community? Visit the Community How-To and Guidelines to get started.