Troubleshoot your device issues
cmrunner83's profile

Guru

• 

758 Messages

Monday, November 10th, 2008 9:13 PM

Closed

Navigation System

What kind of navigation system does the original Pearl have available?..

Asking for a family member, here.  I told her to call customer service, but I doubt she has.  She tried setting up Tele-Nav (or something - is that it?) and couldn't get it to work...  Will she need to pay extra for it?...

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

15 years ago

@cmrunner83 wrote:

Asking for a family member, here.  I told her to call customer service, but I doubt she has.  She tried setting up Tele-Nav (or something - is that it?) and couldn't get it to work...  Will she need to pay extra for it?...

Thanks.

Only Blackberry devices ending in 20 have GPS available. (For example: The 8100 and the 8110 do not have GPS, but the 8120 does.)

AT&T Navigator (also known as Telenav) is a turn-by-turn GPS directions application. I think it's $9.99 per month, although when my Dad tried it out he got the first month for free.

Guru

• 

758 Messages

15 years ago

@shenanigans wrote:

@cmrunner83 wrote:

Thanks.

Only Blackberry devices ending in 20 have GPS available. (For example: The 8100 and the 8110 do not have GPS, but the 8120 does.)

AT&T Navigator (also known as Telenav) is a turn-by-turn GPS directions application. I think it's $9.99 per month, although when my Dad tried it out he got the first month for free.

Ok.  So, if she wants GPS she will have to pay for it, unless she buys a Blackberry ending in 20, and then it will be free to her as it comes with the phone?

Thank you very much.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

According to the RIM Balckberry site, it's not quite true that the number 20 identifies which units have GPS built in. The following are listed as having GPS: 8110, 8130, 8310, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830 and 9000. I can attest to the 8800 personally since that is the one I have and it works perfectly.
The original 8100 did not have GPS.

Guru

• 

758 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you very much. 🙂

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

15 years ago

@gemoelle wrote:
According to the RIM Balckberry site, it's not quite true that the number 20 identifies which units have GPS built in. The following are listed as having GPS: 8110, 8130, 8310, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830 and 9000. I can attest to the 8800 personally since that is the one I have and it works perfectly.

Whoops, you're right.

And to the OP:

GPS is hardware. You can either have GPS built-in to a device or buy an external GPS device.

To use that hardware, you need software. AT&T Navigator is one of the many GPS applications available. You may have also heard of TomTom or even Google Maps. Most turn-by-turn systems are subscription-based, but just maps like Google Maps are usually free.

Guru

• 

758 Messages

15 years ago

@shenanigans wrote:

@gemoelle wrote:

Whoops, you're right.

And to the OP:

GPS is hardware. You can either have GPS built-in to a device or buy an external GPS device.

To use that hardware, you need software. AT&T Navigator is one of the many GPS applications available. You may have also heard of TomTom or even Google Maps. Most turn-by-turn systems are subscription-based, but just maps like Google Maps are usually free.

Shenanigans, are you saying she could subscribe to get Google Maps on her Blackberry and it would be free?..

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

15 years ago

Shenanigans, are you saying she could subscribe to get Google Maps on her Blackberry and it would be free?..

Google Maps is something you can download to your Blackberry that will utilize GPS if it is present. It does not provide voice turn-by-turn directions, but is a great freeware map tool. Something like AT&T Navigator will actually read out the directions to a location. Google Maps will not do that.

Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

15 years ago

In my experience you pretty much get what you pay for with GPS apps for the BB.  Google Maps is a great app but not useful for in-car navigation IMO.  You really need to have voice prompts and directions that automatically advance from one step to the next.

Guru

• 

758 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you, guys!  I appreciate it.  🙂  She is using Google Maps and is very happy.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.