Posted Mar 19, 2012
7:21:02 PM
View profile
What does PTA stand for on my billing statement?
Edited by jamileh on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:37:37 PM

What does pta mean on my bill under texts?

<CM Edit - updated subject>

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 19, 2012 11:13:17 PM
(0)
Employee
it's data usage for LTE phones, that's the APN (access point name) it uses
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

What does PTA stand for on my billing statement?

[ Edited ]
17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 19, 2012 11:13:17 PM
(0)
Employee
it's data usage for LTE phones, that's the APN (access point name) it uses
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: pta

2 of 18 (50,748 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 4:48:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

So its just where go online to check my email?

3 of 18 (50,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2012 5:36:16 AM
(0)
Employee
anything that involves data (e.g. internet, downloads, apps, email, etc)

4 of 18 (50,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 9:10:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just purchased a smart phone 2 days ago and i have already accumulated 107.44 mg of usage for data. THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE, it is under pta internet/medianet. I am hooked up to wifi at home and at school. that is simply not possible. i need somebody to explain what this is and how i stop it. i am not paying for internet usage that i did not use...

5 of 18 (49,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 10:42:39 AM
(0)
Expert

kwarlow wrote:

I just purchased a smart phone 2 days ago and i have already accumulated 107.44 mg of usage for data. THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE, it is under pta internet/medianet. I am hooked up to wifi at home and at school. that is simply not possible. i need somebody to explain what this is and how i stop it. i am not paying for internet usage that i did not use...

107 MB in two days is possible - are you listening to pandora / netflix or any other streaming app while you are away from the wireless? Are you sure the wireless is staying connected all the time? Are you using any apps that require cellualr location services? If the wireless drops it automaticly swaps back to cellular data. Are you autoupdating or autoscanning your facebook page. Most smartphones will shutdown the wifi and switch back to cellular if the phone hibernates and is not plugged in for charging.

go into the hpne settings and turn off cellular data then turn back on wifi settings, that way the phone will not autoswitch and you will know exactly when the wifi drops becuase you will lose connection.

6 of 18 (49,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 18, 2012 2:26:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

i had my phone shut off last night and pta used so much data i jumped from 44.8 mb to 107 mg. i was asleep. i shouldnt have to shut the data off, im paying for that every month because ATT says I HAVE to have it.

7 of 18 (49,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2012 9:49:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Consumers simply shoulder the taxes of the companies. Fewer people actually have a traditional phone. Mobile phones are the favored way of voice conversation and smartphones are becoming the preferred platform.  For that reason, wireless expenses have been going up continuously in the past few years.

Re: What does PTA stand for on my billing statement?

8 of 18 (38,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2012 4:00:01 AM
(0)
Expert

ricmiller wrote:

Consumers simply shoulder the taxes of the companies. Fewer people actually have a traditional phone. Mobile phones are the favored way of voice conversation and smartphones are becoming the preferred platform.  For that reason, wireless expenses have been going up continuously in the past few years.

All expenses have been going up - from the cost of cat food to the cost of a galleon of gas, personally will never give up the standard POTS line in my house nor the emergency backup POTS lines at my business, unlike cell phones they rarely have connection issues.

9 of 18 (38,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:49:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
I also have pts on my bill as well(a lot) I always have data turned off so why is it on there?

10 of 18 (37,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:50:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
Oops sorry, pts, not pts:smileyindifferent:

11 of 18 (37,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2012 2:51:29 PM
(0)
Contributor
Darn it! Stupid auto correct. Haha pta

12 of 18 (37,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2012 4:08:11 PM
(0)
Expert
This would indicate that there is some sort of app (or some one is accidently and or deliberately connecting to the internet) on the phone that is connecting at some point in time to the internet.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

13 of 18 (36,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 6:27:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

how do you change the setting on the phone to make sure your wifi stays on?

14 of 18 (28,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 6:43:06 AM
(0)
Expert

lmw143 wrote:

how do you change the setting on the phone to make sure your wifi stays on?

that is built into the phone, most, if not all smartphones will shutdown the wifi chipset when the phone goes into hiberation and is not plugged into the charger, this is for power savings and is built into the phone by the manufacturer. Other then that wifi will stay connected as long as it is in range of the access point that is related to the wifi id that is setup by the user on the phone

15 of 18 (28,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2013 1:41:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:53:57 PM

pta is a huge phantom data case pending. they have sent me a new phone. master reset. shut off data. be in wifi erase all apps. its noy.gonna work alk u have.to do is google it.  they keep paying my overage charges. engineer.involved in case put atnt smart phone on his table at his house. didnt add any apps or.use phone and it.incurred 35 diff. data charges. do not let anyone tell u its sumthin atuupdating or its this or that. its def. not. 

finally got them to admit it had nothing to do with me today and that they have no idea what it is or.how to.fix it. the latter was not truthful. they have been dealing with this for years and have made millions and millions of dollars off this. they have settled many cases "quietly" . good luck and do not pay for any data overages.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
16 of 18 (15,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 2:36:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

107.44 mg??? what is "mg"? Mega Gigs? If you meant to say "mb" which stands for mega bits, then that is actually typical usage for someone who uses data often. In 1GB there is 1,024 MB; so at that rate you would need around 4-6GB to be on the safe side.

17 of 18 (1,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 5:42:44 PM
(0)
Expert

jimiaikey wrote:

pta is a huge phantom data case pending. they have sent me a new phone. master reset. shut off data. be in wifi erase all apps. its noy.gonna work alk u have.to do is google it.  they keep paying my overage charges. engineer.involved in case put atnt smart phone on his table at his house. didnt add any apps or.use phone and it.incurred 35 diff. data charges. do not let anyone tell u its sumthin atuupdating or its this or that. its def. not. 

finally got them to admit it had nothing to do with me today and that they have no idea what it is or.how to.fix it. the latter was not truthful. they have been dealing with this for years and have made millions and millions of dollars off this. they have settled many cases "quietly" . good luck and do not pay for any data overages.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Never heard of this pta outside of the tla for parents teachers association or the The Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé, or LTE usage where is this supposedly pending

18 of 18 (1,147 Views)