Posted Feb 6, 2014
5:55:49 PM
Uverse breaking contract with added fees
Edited by MPUV555 on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:03:03 PM

So I sign up for Uverse hoping it will be better experience than Time Warner Cable.  I was wrong.  Its just as hard to get in touch with customer service and they add fees without telling me. 

When I signed up I was told I would have to pay for an extra receiver (an extra $7/month from what I was quoted), so I was annoyed but put up with it.  I was told my total bill would be $81/month before tax.  So my first bill was $117 which included an installation fee, then my 2nd bill was $100.  The excuse was something about charging me for extra days during the last billing period, which made zero sense.  I also noticed a $6 equipment fee (which was NOT quoted to me) and a $2 "broadcast surchage" added onto my QUOTED monthly total.  So I called and of course spent 45 mins on the phone, was hung up on TWICE even though I was perfectly reasonable with the reps, and finally the last individual agreed with me and said he would reduce my monthly bill to $81/month as originally quoted.  So this month I'm charged $93 total and the equipment and broadcast charge are still there. 

What would you do?  Cable companies are out of control.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 6, 2014 7:39:46 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55:15 PM

There are below line fees along with taxes and is not part of quote.

have internet only or internet Voip services you would purchase the 3600 or 5031 RG for $100, comes with a one year warranty.

With having IPTV services, you cannot purchase the RG, but is leased now $7 a month, used to be $6,also have a local tv access charge was $1.99 now going to $2.99.

So your one year promotion is $81 + hsia (leased RG) $7 + local tv $2.99 = $90.99 plus taxes and any other fees, need to view your bill for exact charges, but $100 bill with taxes and any other fees is about right.

Normally billing cycle is 30 days.

From the fine print details http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp

Very first line....
Promotional pricing applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees and other charges including a $49 service activation fee, city video cost recovery fees, where applicable, and a Broadcast TV surcharge. Residential customers only. Credit restrictions may apply. Pricing, programming and features subject to change at any time without notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Uverse breaking contract with added fees

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Feb 6, 2014 7:39:46 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by my thoughts on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:55:15 PM

There are below line fees along with taxes and is not part of quote.

have internet only or internet Voip services you would purchase the 3600 or 5031 RG for $100, comes with a one year warranty.

With having IPTV services, you cannot purchase the RG, but is leased now $7 a month, used to be $6,also have a local tv access charge was $1.99 now going to $2.99.

So your one year promotion is $81 + hsia (leased RG) $7 + local tv $2.99 = $90.99 plus taxes and any other fees, need to view your bill for exact charges, but $100 bill with taxes and any other fees is about right.

Normally billing cycle is 30 days.

From the fine print details http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/offer-details.jsp

Very first line....
Promotional pricing applies to service rates only and excludes taxes, equipment fees and other charges including a $49 service activation fee, city video cost recovery fees, where applicable, and a Broadcast TV surcharge. Residential customers only. Credit restrictions may apply. Pricing, programming and features subject to change at any time without notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Uverse breaking contract with added fees

[ Edited ]
Solution
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2014 5:32:32 PM
(1)
Tutor

Nice fine print  - you don't think its someone's obligation to explain that to customers.  Why aren't you obligated to include that in the quote?  AT&T provides access to the broadcast stations and the equipment - therefore they should be included in any quote.  You can call it "promotional pricing" or whatever you want, but its a freakin quote.

Also... your customer service reps shouldn't be hanging up on people.  In addition, why did one of your reps tell me he agreed and would reduce my bill to what was on my quote?  Obviously that didn't happen.

Why is it people only have these problems with tv service providers?  You guys don't offer enough value anymore and are just trying to squeeze money by any means possible.  I thought AT&T might be an upgrade in service from Time Warner, but it appears I was mistaken.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2014 2:29:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Agree!!!

(1)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2014 6:20:23 AM
(1)
Tutor

Don't you think that any charges that are mandated by ATT,that are unavoidable, should be in the quote and not swallowed up in fine print.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2014 7:44:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

confusedatUVERSE wrote:

Don't you think that any charges that are mandated by ATT,that are unavoidable, should be in the quote and not swallowed up in fine print.

Considering taxes and local broadcast surcharges are different in each state, the "final total paid" will be different. If I have U-300 and an extra STB with 12.0Mbps internet in Ohio, my buddy in Kansas with the exact same package might be paying a few dollars more or less.

If AT&T says "quoted prices do not include local taxes and/or fees" in their small print, and the customer doesn't read that...well, that's not on AT&T.

If Time Warner claims I can get "up to 250 channels and 20Mbps internet" for $119, then am I really gonna pay that much after I add two DVRs and local fees are factored into the equation?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2014 6:08:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

ATT has a habit of misrepresenting the truth, then blaming the customer for not knowing it was a misrepresentation. If you complain long enough and a very nice gentleman from the Office of the President of ATT will call you and be very polite, but nothing will change. That you have a transcript of the conversation doen't matter.