Posted Oct 10, 2012
10:20:38 AM
View profile
Unpaid bill, canceled phone service
Ok so, I haven't gotten a chance to pay my AT&T phone bill for the past month & a half, due to me losing my job. And so from that I owe AT&T a hefty amount. My account and service was canceled. Since now of this month I got a job and am now able to pay how much I owe AT&T, will my service and account be back on so no more problems with payment?
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 11, 2012 10:22:59 AM
(0)
Employee

If you are within 59 days of the cancellation, you may get your service reinstated and the ETF will be waived. You can pay what you owe in MRCs. A credit check may be required.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Unpaid bill, canceled phone service

25 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2012 11:49:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
It may depend. The first step after non-payment is a suspension. If you're suspended, you can make a payment and your service will be restored almost immediately.

However, after some time (usually about 10, iirc) of being suspended, the account is closed. If your account is closed, it will be more complicated. I believe they may require a deposit or other security in addition to your payment. Your best bet is to call 800-331-0500 and ask what you need to do to get service again.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unpaid bill, canceled phone service

2 of 26 (18,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2012 7:34:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

Also - although I guess now it is too late - if you are having problems that make it difficult to pay any of your bills it's good to contact the various companies and try to work something out with them, as opposed to just not paying.

If your wireless bill is past due AT&T does not know if you merely forgot to pay, if you plan to pay later, or if you have abandoned the account. Whereas if you communicate with them they at least know what your intentions are.

3 of 26 (18,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2012 9:46:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Also, your upgrade date may have been pushed back because of the late payment.  I'm unsure if they do this after one late payment or if it takes more than one.  I just wanted to give you a heads-up if this would cause a concern for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 26 (18,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 11, 2012 10:22:59 AM
(0)
Employee

If you are within 59 days of the cancellation, you may get your service reinstated and the ETF will be waived. You can pay what you owe in MRCs. A credit check may be required.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 26 (18,517 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2013 10:27:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
Hey DogDaddy,

Nice assistance with the previous topic. However, I'd like to add something. Even though you may call AT&T about your intentions of paying a bill or to work out arrangements they may just shut your service off and cancel your account like they have done to me. I've been a customer of theirs for a decade and they seem to be more strict about shutting off your service soon, cancelling your account, and charging you a ton of outrageous charges when all you want to do is get an explanation of why they did what they did. Calling them and keeping them abreast of your situation DOESN'T matter to them one bit. I've been pretty good about that and even though NO one told me that this may happen, they went ahead and did it anyway. Now no one can tell me All the charges against me or help me resolve this issue. Great, huh?
I thought you should know.

Thanks.

6 of 26 (16,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 11:07:59 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello ferris_mueller81,

I'm sorry you're having billing issues, I did also see your post in another thread. AT&T makes every effort to work with their customers on making payment arrangements. Service suspensions or cancellations are account specific, we have your case assigned to one of our escalation managers that will be contacting you as soon as possible to discuss your options.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

7 of 26 (16,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 1:28:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

No kidding.  Payment arrangements don't mean squat.  Especially when the mix up is on their end.  I have no phone because of it, I pay a price for it.   Nothing more than they said you said.  No customer care what so ever, even as high as management.  How stupid do they think people are to make a payment arrangement on a non-payday?????  Their customer care gets an A+ for total rudeness and non caring.

8 of 26 (16,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2013 6:34:30 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @funmom , welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you're having issues with billing and your phone got suspended. Let us take a look at your situation and see how we can help, we have an awesome team of managers that can help! Please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your full name, phone number, email address and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

9 of 26 (15,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2013 9:34:30 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi funmom,

I just wanted to check in and let you know that we received your private message. One of our managers will be looking into this and contacting you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

10 of 26 (15,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 7:26:09 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yes and do not ever believe them, even the the ones on here. They are not account specific. ATT has a very bad track record for customer service as I have done my research. Be very aware of your customer rights. Talk to the BBB and FCC, they can advise you.

11 of 26 (15,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2013 4:13:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Dido, they suck.

12 of 26 (15,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2013 5:47:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue with AT&T customer service reps as well. Tried with 3 different reps to get my phone turned back on and work out a payment plan and the EXACT answer I get is "WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING UNLESS WE RECIEVE A PAYMENT TODAY". Not a single customer service rep wants to do a thing to help out. No matter when you call. Come income tax time, I'm closing my accounts with AT&T and I wont be the only one in line. Every single person in my family has AT&T. AT&T will be losing 50+ accounts come then because of their inconsiderate service reps who just have an attitude of "These are the rules. Deal." Already placed a formal complaint with the FCC as well. Must be nice to treat your LOYAL customers like that. AT&T is ignominious as a company and should be ASHAMED of the way they treat customers!

13 of 26 (14,673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 6:28:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dagodmatha713 wrote:

I have the same issue with AT&T customer service reps as well. Tried with 3 different reps to get my phone turned back on and work out a payment plan and the EXACT answer I get is "WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING UNLESS WE RECIEVE A PAYMENT TODAY". Not a single customer service rep wants to do a thing to help out. No matter when you call. Come income tax time, I'm closing my accounts with AT&T and I wont be the only one in line. Every single person in my family has AT&T. AT&T will be losing 50+ accounts come then because of their inconsiderate service reps who just have an attitude of "These are the rules. Deal." Already placed a formal complaint with the FCC as well. Must be nice to treat your LOYAL customers like that. AT&T is ignominious as a company and should be ASHAMED of the way they treat customers!

Did you really place a formal complaint with the FCC saying "I didn't pay my bill and now AT&T won't give me service"?

The reps are doing exactly as they're told by management. If your service is suspended, a payment is required to have service restored. Depending on the situation, the rep may have had every desire to help you out and restore your service; however, they did not have the ability without you making a payment.

I know from personal experience that AT&T is more than happy to work with customers on payment arrangements before the service is suspended. That is the time to work with them. Once they've had to suspend the service to hear from you, they have every right to say "Pay before more service is rendered." Why would they work with a customer who has ignored the bill, the late payment notice, the phone calls, etc.?

14 of 26 (14,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 9:44:14 AM
(0)
Contributor
Speaking from recent experience, AT&T DOES NOT work with you. I called them before it was suspended and I was told they needed to be paid today. Don't be fool by their public relations on here. They have bad costumer service. Come tax time, I'm gone

15 of 26 (13,754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 11:06:36 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Feb 5, 2014 at 11:07:16 AM

Hello Amcfarland6,

There are of course some requirements too, they're outlined here. Do you have a specific issue you need help with? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

[ Edited ]
16 of 26 (13,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 3:20:54 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey Amcfarland6,

If it's only happeneded a few times, you might not have a good idea. AT&T has a system that's largely meant for customers to take advantage of.

Depending on history and credit, many accounts won't get charged a late fee for 3-4 days after the due date and not get cut off for 1-2 weeks.

If you have at least some history, then, AT&T will often work with you to set up an extension. Even the automated payment system, MyAT&T, att.com website, you can request to arrange a late payment. You can tweak it often times, if things change.

Once your service gets interupted, it requires a payment of just the past due amount, and any restoral fee gets applied to the next bill, instead of immediately.

There's a little bit more flexibility before, vs after certainly, but, there's a whole system available to help you avoid it in the first place.

-Alex

17 of 26 (13,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2014 9:41:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why is it that I'm reading a lot of negative things here and it's seems to be true.  I'm in the unites state army and I use my phone everyday. I gotten my first bill and it 2 as pretty high.  I went to the store where I bought the phones and they told me to get in contact with the customer service  and I did.  I was trying to make a payment plan and the told me that there was nothing I could do.  Even with trying to give my last 150 dollars to try to get them on I couldnt.  I understand later that if state side customers call after 5:00 you get some one from over sea's.   How is that fair?  I was told here in the states that I could do a payment plan. This is how people credit get destroyed because 9 non payment when people are trying to pay.  5 his also made me miss my rebate of 200 dollars and I have to deal with the fact of jo phone.  So please could someone tell me what to do before I just say for get it and go back to straight talk?  SSG

18 of 26 (11,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2014 12:24:14 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:25:13 PM

AT&T tries to send you an email notice with an estimate on what that first bill will be, so you have time to prepare for what usually is high.

AT&T's made changes to the payment arrangment system. You often have a week or more after the due date without needing any special arrangment.

If it's possible, the website is one of the main ways to get an extension.

This walks you through the step by step: www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB404857

Making partial payments early makes very little difference, since the system is based on how many days late you are.

-Alex

[ Edited ]
19 of 26 (11,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2014 2:44:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I feel your pain. I've complainted about this today because it been going this year I'm tried of it just like you are

20 of 26 (6,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2014 2:54:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Drs0921 on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:55:37 PM

I'm sorry but that is a load of crap. you can make payment arrangements with them and they will still make you miserable and not help. All because of the companies stupid policies. How in the world doesn't a phone company have a set grace period. As much as I can't stand my electric company they have grace set period and let you know straight up what will happen. I was told today that ATT anytime pass your due date they will cut you off and do not have abilities to reverse the suspension.

[ Edited ]
21 of 26 (6,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2014 12:13:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have to agree, I am currently in the same situation and no one wants to help me. I actually attempted to keep my arrangement. All I tried to do was make two separate payments using the mobile app and when the first payment didn't update I thought there was a problem. I can't afford to have double payments tying up funds in my account so I waited until the next day to ensure my account balance was updated (which was yesterday) to pay the remaining amount of the arrangement. So I did pay the entire amount of the arrangement and this morning my service was suspended and no one will help me.

22 of 26 (5,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2014 12:50:12 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @kekesanai 

Thank you for sending us a private message, one of our managers will be contacting you as soon as possible (if they haven't yet).

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

23 of 26 (5,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2014 10:53:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

+1 Totally aggree with AT&T's lack of caring if you try and set up a payment plan. The customer service rep's do not care if and when you are able to pay, they simply tell you "oh im sorry theres nothing I can do unless we receive payment today". So there is no payment plan only customer service reps that cant perform customer service. Its funny how most peope commenting on here have had accounts over 10 years.... hmmm "oh well that dosent matter either, Oh your government employee oh well nothing I can do about it". Looks like the only thing left to do is cancel AT&T and swith to a different carrier.

24 of 26 (2,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2014 10:37:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've had AT&T since I was 16 and it was called bellsouth and I've never run into such rude & unhelpful representatives! I've been waiting on a "5 minute" call back from "Jolene" for the last 9 hours now... I pai

I've had AT&T since I was 16 and it was called bellsouth...

25 of 26 (381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2014 10:38:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
I paid the bill to have my service reconnected 12

I paid the bill to have my service reconnected 12

26 of 26 (380 Views)