Reply
Posted Apr 16, 2013
New Admin Fee?

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

 

What is it, how much is it, and what is it for?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
6-3-2013 9:36:55 AM
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

 

What is it, how much is it, and what is it for?



Everyone, 

 

Here is a link to definitions of all fees. Since this is such an active discussion, hopefully this will help. 

 

Additional Charges

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

New Admin Fee?

[ Edited ]
1,236 views
86 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(86)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:

I hear everyone is getting a brand new fee, called the "MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE".

 

What is it, how much is it, and what is it for?


got this

MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEE
Effective May 1, 2013, the Administrative Fee will be $0.61 per
line per month for Consumer and Individual Responsibility User
(IRU) lines. For more information about the Administrative Fee,
please visit att.com/additionalcharges

 

Before anyone tries to jump n the yippie skippy I can leve with no etf wagon - it is an administrative surcharge, it does not affect the advertised cost of the base line - if you have the 39.99 dollar plan before taxes and fees it is still 39.99 after this

 

*Administrative Fee (Consumer and Individual Responsibility User (IRU) lines only)

The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to: (a) charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and (b) charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance.
Other AT&T Surcharges

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

Solution
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

It's $.61 per line, so if you have a 5 line family plan it's $3.06 a month, or $36.60 per year.

 

On my bill it's essentially a 3% price increase.

 

Multiplied by 115.78 million customers,  AT&T makes an extra $847 million a year!

 

And of course wingrider01 is correct. ATT won't let anyone out of their contract over this.

 

It's perfectly OK to raise the price if you call it an Administrative Fee. That isn't a breach of contract.

 

 

 

 

 

“Money is to Monopoly money as ethics is to business ethics.” - Frank Hubert

Re: New Fee?

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:

It's $.61 per line, so if you have a 5 line family plan it's $3.06 a month, or $36.60 per year.

 

On my bill it's essentially a 3% price increase.

 

Multiplied by 115.78 million customers,  AT&T makes an extra $847 million a year!

 

And of course wingrider01 is correct. ATT won't let anyone out of their contract over this.

 

It's perfectly OK to raise the price if you call it an Administrative Fee. That isn't a breach of contract.

 

 

 

 

 

“Money is to Monopoly money as ethics is to business ethics.” - Frank Hubert


your bill must be areally small is 3.06 is 3 percent of the bill, less then 1 percent on mine and that includes the business contract

You have a choice you can go to another carrier - oh wait they have alerady been charging that fee for a number of years

 

Somebody pays for the infrastructure - no carrier is a not for profit industry, like everything costs go up,  so fees need to be increased, my sewer bill has increased an average of 18 percent every 6 months

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)
1. Correct, my bill is really small.

2. The fact that other companies charge it is irrelevant. Three or four wrongs don't make a right. On the contrary the fact that the big wireless companies take turns matching each other's increases is an old story and is the closest to collusion they can get without going to jail. In competitive markets such as Europe prices are going down.

3. I have no problem with a company choosing to increase its prices, just not in the middle of a contract.
The fact that they are breaching a contract by making up a baloney name for the fee, is the crux of the matter

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

Consistent with similar fees charged by other carriers, the monthly fee of 61 cents per line will help cover certain expenses, such as the charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and cell site rents and maintenance.

 

The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to:

 

  • Charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers.
  • Charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance.
  • Even with this Administrative Fee, AT&T's average per-line fees will be less than those of most of our competitors. 

 

 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

@Jamileh

Does that mean that the state sales tax will be assesed on the line charge before the Administrative Fee is added?

If it isn't a charge for the cell service than that's how it should be handled and I wonder if it wil

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:
1. Correct, my bill is really small.

2. The fact that other companies charge it is irrelevant. Three or four wrongs don't make a right. On the contrary the fact that the big wireless companies take turns matching each other's increases is an old story and is the closest to collusion they can get without going to jail. In competitive markets such as Europe prices are going down.

3. I have no problem with a company choosing to increase its prices, just not in the middle of a contract.
The fact that they are breaching a contract by making up a baloney name for the fee, is the crux of the matter

Is the cost of you voice plan exactly the same as it was before the fee addition - IE the line charge for a individual 450 minute plan is 39.99, it was this before the announcement of the additonal recover charge, it will be this after the fee assemesment, it is the ONLY portion of the service that cannot be removed without paying the etf, no breech of contract since the cost of the base line is exactly the same. fees for taxes, regualtory and recover charges are not considered as part of the contract - for example the state, local, federal taxes can be increased without you being able to contest it, same as with recovery fees, in the letter of the contract - which is all that counts, there is no breach

 

exactly the same with leasing a car, if the personal property tax rate of the home area goes up during the duration of the lease, those costs will be passed on without altering anything on the lease

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)
Taxes are different than the company's operating costs.
All charges the wireless company makes are calculated to cover thier costs and then make some profit, naturally.
Acoording to your logic they should be allowed to add a fee for electricity, gas, employee salaries, advertising, lobbyists, caviar for the executives etc etc etc, and say that it's not a service price increase because they are covering thier costs.
I call it what it is.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:
Taxes are different than the company's operating costs.
All charges the wireless company makes are calculated to cover thier costs and then make some profit, naturally.
Acoording to your logic they should be allowed to add a fee for electricity, gas, employee salaries, advertising, lobbyists, caviar for the executives etc etc etc, and say that it's not a service price increase because they are covering thier costs.
I call it what it is.

[Please keep it courteous]

 

You may call it what it is, but it is still not a valid reason for playing yippiee skippie I can get out of my contract with no etf, just the fact ma'am

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2013
0
(0)
I don't really like the fee increase even though it is a small increase.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013
0
(0)
At&t should call every charge a fee. Easy loophole

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013
0
(0)
That's exactly what they are doing. Neat, isn't it?

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013
0
(0)

jamileh wrote:

Consistent with similar fees charged by other carriers, the monthly fee of 61 cents per line will help cover certain expenses, such as the charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and cell site rents and maintenance.

 

The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to:

 

  • Charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers.
  • Charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance.
  • Even with this Administrative Fee, AT&T's average per-line fees will be less than those of most of our competitors. 

 

 


Can you explain why AT&T can charge a new fee that is not mandated by the government without letting customers get out of their contract without an ETF?  What's from stopping AT&T from adding an additional $50/month fee and not letting customers out of their contract?  I'd really like an answer for this.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2013
0
(0)

bdyelton wrote:

jamileh wrote:

Consistent with similar fees charged by other carriers, the monthly fee of 61 cents per line will help cover certain expenses, such as the charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and cell site rents and maintenance.

 

The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to:

 

  • Charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers.
  • Charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance.
  • Even with this Administrative Fee, AT&T's average per-line fees will be less than those of most of our competitors. 

 

 


Can you explain why AT&T can charge a new fee that is not mandated by the government without letting customers get out of their contract without an ETF?  What's from stopping AT&T from adding an additional $50/month fee and not letting customers out of their contract?  I'd really like an answer for this.


sinple, using the 700 miinute family plan as example  (the vocie portion being the main part of the contrsct you can raise or low the number of minutes but you cannot cancel before 2 years is up without playing a etf)

 

Before fee - 59.99

After fee - 59.99

 

same cost. no modification in base price, no contract modification.

 

Over the years that I have had cell service with the various carriers fees have gone up and gone down, federal, state, local taxes have gone up, cost recovery fees have been increased - either carrier dictate of govement organization dicated and that has never been the ooptn of termination with out etf.

 

Now on the other hand if they change the base prices of the voice portion and hit you with it during the 2 year commintment price, then yes you do have the ability to exit with no etf. So if you agree to the 59.99 plan in Januar of 2013 and they announce in May that price goes to 79.99 and you get charged you can get out, never seenthat happen though.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2013
0
(0)
Oh my goodness.what is going on no raises from jobs but more fees from companies paying less taxes.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013
0
(0)

it is not fair for companies like AT&T. They can not pass these operating or business charges to customers by tagging a different name. This practice allows the companies to identify minute/granular detils of their business process and call them as admintrative charges which most of customers may not aware of those terms.

 

I just put my comments on http://www.fcc.gov/complaints. If more customers put these type of complaints to FCC and I hope it will ring the bell to FCC for some action.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 16, 2013
0
(0)

I just filed complaints with the BBB, FCC, and FTC. Doubt it will accomplish much, but if lots more people did the same, it would.
It's real easy. You can just paste this into the forms on the BBB FTC and FCC websites:

"AT&T has raised the price on every wireless line in service by $.61 a month by adding a new fee to every bill, which they explain as follows:"MOBILITY ADMINISTRATIVE FEEEffective May 1, 2013, the Administrative Fee will be $0.61 per line per month. The Administrative Fee helps defray certain expenses AT&T incurs, including but not limited to: (a) charges AT&T or its agents pay to interconnect with other carriers to deliver calls from AT&T customers to their customers; and (b) charges associated with cell site rents and maintenance."

This is a baloney way of saying "price increase", and is a blatant violation of basic contract law which does not allow the changing of terms after the beginning of a bilateral agreement. The vast majority of ATT customers have 2-year contract agreements which prevent their switching carriers without paying a huge penalty clause.

The ATT Wireless Agreement reads: "If we increase the price of any of the services to which you subscribe, beyond the limits set forth in your customer service summary... you may terminate this agreement without paying an early termination fee or returning or paying for any promotional items."

CTIA Consumer Code reads: "Carriers will not modify the material terms of their subscribers' contracts in a manner that is materially adverse to subscribers without providing a reasonable advance notice of a proposed modification and allowing subscribers a time period of not less than 14 days to cancel their contracts with no early termination fee."

ATT claims that the price for the service remains the same and are only adding a "fee". What's from stopping AT&T from adding an additional $50/month fee and not letting customers out of their contract?

$.61 doesn't sound like much, but some people have multiple lines. In addition, multiplied by 115.78 million customers, AT&T makes an extra $847 million a year from this dishonest price hike.

As it is not any kind of tax or government mandated charge, the new fee should be included in the basic price displayed in advertising and informational material. The new fee should only be charged on new contracts beginning after the increase, and existing contract customers must be allowed to either reject the price hike or be allowed to terminate their service without penalty, as the contract has already been breached by the carrier."

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2013
0
(0)

Harryspar,

 

I agree completely with you.  The justification provided by AT&T for this new Administrative Fee does not qualify as cost recovery in my opinion.  Cell tower site rentals?  Really?  That is part of the cost of doing business.

 

I will also file complaints with BBB, FCC, and FTC.

 

Has anyone complained to AT&T?  If so, did you get any relief?

 

I have a 5 line family plan, so my bill went up $3.06 per month because of this, or over $36 per year.  The amount of money is not the big issue for me.  It is the backhanded way they are increasing prices.  If they just said we are increasing the prices when your contract renews I would have no problem with it, as I could decide to not renew at that point. 

 

 

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2013
0
(0)
Complaints successfully submitted to BBB, FCC, and FTC. It is very easy, however, the BBB and FTC sites will not accept the full length of the complaint text in harryspar's post above. You will have to edit it down some for BBB, and a lot for FCC.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2013
0
(0)

Thanks, johnbinsc! If it picks up steam there's a chance it will get somewhere. Look what happened with Verizon's $2 bill-pay fee: http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/30/technology/verizon_fee_canceled/index.htm

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar is right. you cannot raise the price on the contract period. why even have a contract if one side can do anything and the other side must put up with it.  any contract that gives all power to one side and none to the other are inherently unenforcable. you are right that more people should compain. bunch of sheep. they rip you off a little at a time.

 

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Re: New Fee?

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)

engdahl wrote:

harryspar is right. you cannot raise the price on the contract period. why even have a contract if one side can do anything and the other side must put up with it.  any contract that gives all power to one side and none to the other are inherently unenforcable. you are right that more people should compain. bunch of sheep. they rip you off a little at a time.

 

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].


regulatory and cost recovery fees are NOT part of your contract, the only fee that IS tied to your contract is the base cost that you apy for voice minutes. SMS, data and the such are features that are added so they do not count. Make sure you understand before complaining, this is all documented in your paper work that you recieved either physically, electronicly or as a link in the OLAM - makes good reading to know what you are responsible for

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)
Most of the "base cost" that ATT charges IS "cost recovery." They pay for electricity, personnel, facilities, call centers, vehicles, etc etc etc.
What's left after that is their profit.
If they could put all their costs below the line on the bill it would be $30 or more.
If you think it would be OK for them to add a $30 "Business Expenses" surcharge on every bill, well, I think that's absurd.
AT&T thinks that's fine.
I will leave it to the readers of the forum to decide if it makes sense to them.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:
Most of the "base cost" that ATT charges IS "cost recovery." They pay for electricity, personnel, facilities, call centers, vehicles, etc etc etc.
What's left after that is their profit.
If they could put all their costs below the line on the bill it would be $30 or more.
If you think it would be OK for them to add a $30 "Business Expenses" surcharge on every bill, well, I think that's absurd.
AT&T thinks that's fine.
I will leave it to the readers of the forum to decide if it makes sense to them.

You are confusing the requirements of the contract with your own interpertation. The only part of the cost that is charged that has any reflection on the terms of the contract is voice minutes, period.

 

Please don;t use the habit of putting words in my mouth to justify your interpertations of what I have said. You have absolutely no idea what will or will not have me deem anything acceptable or unacceptable so don;t try and fit it to your beliefs.

 

To the people that understand business and cost recovery, it is reasonable. The one major thing you missed in your response, you are assuming probably becasue you miseed the entire sentence that how the term "base cost" was applied.

 

My comment was "IS tied to your contract is the base cost that you pay for voice minutes." Not sure how you came up with " They pay for electricity, personnel, facilities, call centers, vehicles, etc etc etc.". That has absolutely no bearing on the comment that was made. Although it is high school level economics for how costs bear to the EBITA which relates to shareholder profit in the end.

 

Bottom line, if it not acceptable go to another carrier, by the way they already have that recovery charge also

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)
Difference is, if I went to the other carrier I would be agreeing to the charge at the BEGINNING of the contract, which is OK.

I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth. I have no idea who does or doesn't think ATT is within thier rights to impose a $30 fee next month if they want to cover $30 of expenses. I'm simply sutting the question out for public comment: If
1) it is OK to add fees below the line if they are for business expenses rather than taxes, and
2) ATT has more than 61 cents od expenses per month then
3) what is the limit?

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)

harryspar wrote:
Difference is, if I went to the other carrier I would be agreeing to the charge at the BEGINNING of the contract, which is OK.

I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth. I have no idea who does or doesn't think ATT is within thier rights to impose a $30 fee next month if they want to cover $30 of expenses. I'm simply sutting the question out for public comment: If
1) it is OK to add fees below the line if they are for business expenses rather than taxes, and
2) ATT has more than 61 cents od expenses per month then
3) what is the limit?

 


harryspar wrote:

If you think it would be OK for them to add a $30 "Business Expenses" surcharge on every bill, well, I think that's absurd. AT&T thinks that's fine.

I know where my limits are but do not know where yours would nor do I speculate, what is the limit for the cost of gasoline? What about electricity. If you feel that the .61 cents is your limit then change carriers, it is as simple as that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)

If it's not OK for $50 then it's not OK for $.61.

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)

wingrider01 wrote:

harryspar wrote:
Difference is, if I went to the other carrier I would be agreeing to the charge at the BEGINNING of the contract, which is OK.

I'm not putting words into anyone's mouth. I have no idea who does or doesn't think ATT is within thier rights to impose a $30 fee next month if they want to cover $30 of expenses. I'm simply sutting the question out for public comment: If
1) it is OK to add fees below the line if they are for business expenses rather than taxes, and
2) ATT has more than 61 cents od expenses per month then
3) what is the limit?

 


harryspar wrote:

If you think it would be OK for them to add a $30 "Business Expenses" surcharge on every bill, well, I think that's absurd. AT&T thinks that's fine.

I know where my limits are but do not know where yours would nor do I speculate, what is the limit for the cost of gasoline? What about electricity. If you feel that the .61 cents is your limit then change carriers, it is as simple as that.


Sorry - it is not that simple. The problem here is that you cannot simply change carrier because most people are still locked into their contract. 

Re: New Fee?

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
0
(0)
hojbjerg I agree with you. Of course, technically once they raise the price your contract is off because they broke it. But they will charge you the ETF or send you to collections and kill your credit, so it isn't worth it.

Re: New Fee?

Share this post
Share this post