Posted Sep 28, 2012
Monthly Usage Limits

OK, I'll preface this by saying, I think the AT&T Usage monitoring is WAY off. First few months that AT&T started limiting our bandwidth to 150Gigs/month (without asking) we EASILY blew past our limit, and the reasons I thought was because we do a lot on our crappy 6megabit/sec (yes, that's bits) connection, watch Netflix, I have a bittorrent downloader going during the day, we have wireless iPads, and we live in a rural situation, the phone lines are awful and if anything goes wrong we're pretty much on our own to fix it. I've never seen an AT*T service vehicle in our area.

So I took steps to limit our data,

• I capped bittorrent and set it to only transfer 75gigs per month, since turning on my monitor about 2 months ago I've found out that with normal use I'm only transferring about 50gigs per month.
  • I set Netflix to the lowest setting (0.2 gigabytes/hour), and we watch less, I need to figure out how to monitor netflix, but I'm guessing we don't watch more than 20 hours/month
  • We turn off devices when not in use, wireless ipads, notebooks, etc.
  • etc...

So I'm looking at billing and somehow were at 90% of our 150gig/month limit, and we still have at least a week to go (billing is posted through 9/24 right now, and the billing cycle ends on 10/2).

I just do NOT think AT&T's estimate is even CLOSE, or they are billing us for data transferred that's never used. I guess the next step is to turn off my DSL modem during the day when we're at work, but that kind of defeats the purpose of an always on connection (I remote into my computers from time to time).

Anyone have ANY recommendations for me? My router doesn't really monitor my bandwidth, it's a Netgear WNR3500 v.1, I was thinking a bandwidth monitor at the source would give me a more accurate readout of my usage, at least something I can compare to what AT&T is saying.

Thanks much,

-A.

Monthly Usage Limits

7 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2012
(0)
The only things my plan includes are a home phone line (no long distance) and home internet. our bill, since the new data cap was introduced, has never been under $160 / month. this is absolutley rediculous considering that the only thing we use the internet for is to stream movies/television shows for our children to our television through paid sites such as netflix, hulu, etc. - i do not download anything except maybe an occasional picture from my email. i am always over my 150 gigs before the middle of the month. we do not have a cable/dish provider, i couldnt afford to with this internet bill anyway. i am not depriving my family these shows simply because at&t is the greediest internet provider on the planet...i've been keeping it in the hopes that complaints directly to CSR's such as mine would mount and they would either raise the cap or do away with it. i guess this doesn't anger as many people as i thought, so i will be changing to a cable provider which i should have done months ago.

Re: Monthly Usage Limits

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2012
(0)

I was fortunate to see the ATT usage summaries before ATT shut them down.   My usage was 20/month  then went to 165 when ATT started monitoring and ATT, to their credit gave me a warning.    My computer had a virus.   as long as it was on - even if I was not on the internet. my modem would go crazy.  I had already shut down wifi, thought it might be a neighbor hitchhiking.   Got the virus out and usage went back to 20/month.      My question:  This virus started when ATT started puttting limits on the monthly usage.  150G is an enormous amount of data.   It is convenient for ATT that such a virus started when they changed their policy.   Is is suspicious that ATT never mentions a virus as a possible cause of extreme usage.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2012
(0)

llelantrasay wrote:

I was fortunate to see the ATT usage summaries before ATT shut them down.   My usage was 20/month  then went to 165 when ATT started monitoring and ATT, to their credit gave me a warning.    My computer had a virus.   as long as it was on - even if I was not on the internet. my modem would go crazy.  I had already shut down wifi, thought it might be a neighbor hitchhiking.   Got the virus out and usage went back to 20/month.      My question:  This virus started when ATT started puttting limits on the monthly usage.  150G is an enormous amount of data.   It is convenient for ATT that such a virus started when they changed their policy.   Is is suspicious that ATT never mentions a virus as a possible cause of extreme usage.

Toooo many X-Files reruns dude.:smileylol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 10, 2014
(0)

We have been having the same data usage problems with ATT DSL which only started few months ago.  We have had DSL for 4 years with no problems, then suddenly we are exceed our limit every month.  Our usage and what we do on the internet and the time spent has not changed, yet we are suddenly being told we keep exceeding our limit.  I have been on the phone, chat, and email several times in the past few months with ATT and cannot get this problem solved.  We do not stream movies or have netflix or hulu.  Once a week we will  watch a network TV show we missed, browse social media, email, research, read articles but that is it.  It is impossible that we are using more than 150GB a month, but ATT says we are.  We also secured our network and cut back usage, but are still being told we exceed the limit.  When I ask ATT to show me past usage they cannot give me the information I request. 

Some mentioned a virus, can you tell me more about this virus and how to get rid of it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014
(0)

This article from Microsoft will help you get started with your Windows PC protection:

Windows Safety and Security Center

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014
(0)

The windows safety and security link was not helpful.  I already have very good virus scan and malware software.  This is not the problem.

The problem is with AT&T and their usage limits and that their tracking is bogus and they do not respond or want to help fix the problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2014
(0)

Hello raymondmm,

Please take a look at this site: AT&T Data and Internet Usage Tools

If you need any account specific help, please contact you Social Media Care team by clicking here. One of our managers will be able to contact you directly to assist.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.