Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Exactly what I heard for the representative in the retail store on Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles.

I was asking for renewing my contract with ATT to get a discount for iphone 5s. The representative told me that I should choose to upgrade my family plan to the mobile share value plan and get the iphone for free. I told him I did not want to do it because one of my members in my family plan doesn't use any internet. The representative kept telling me the payment of the mobile share value plan will become cheaper while the members in my plan can enjoy more data, and I would only need to pay for the tax of the iPhone.  Finally, I accepted, since the representative told this would benefit every member in my plan.

The bill came, and the price didn't change much, so I has been paying it regularly as usual from Feb. Until this month, one of the members in my family plan left, I checked the bill to figure out the new way to split the bill. Guess what I saw? The installment plan charges me about $28.8 per month!!!

SO, I was paying for my phone full price. I was asking my friends to share the cost of my phone. I cannot believe the representative did not say a word about it. He told me the phone was free, the bill would be a little cheaper, and we have more data.

The fact is, instead of my paying the $299 with a 2 year contract, my friends are paying for my phone with its full price. The representative of AT&T DID NOT clearly identify the full cost to purchase a product or service, so I was unable to make an informed decision whether to purchase.

I was willing to pay for my own iphone with a two year contract. I was 100% misled by the representative. Today, ATT's online representative told me that it is impossible to change my plan back since it has been four months. After I asked again and again, the online representative promised to have his/her manager call me tomorrow.

If the manager cannot help me to solve this issue, does it mean that I have to pay the full price of my iphone for the representative's misleading language? (I will update the post tomorrow.)

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you had purchased the $299 subsidized phone, you would have lost an out of contract discount, either $15 or $25 per month depending on which data plan you are on, so your cost would not have changed much had you got the subsidized phone.

On way or another, you pay for the full cost of the phonem either by paying over time, or by losing the out of contract discount.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

First, If I had purchased the $299 subsidized phone, I got the discount myself, not sharing the discount with the members in my family plan. Also, I would pay my phone by myself, not sharing the full-price-phone bill with other members.

Second, what I care the most is, the representive hided the fact from me. He did not say anything about I have to pay the full price of the phone in a financial way. He said the phone was free. He  misled me.

Third, AT&T did not call me today, although the online representive promised that the manager will contact me. Thanks to I saved my conversation with the online representive last night, so I can have it as a proof when I tell people how irresponsible AT&T is.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Here is my problem, I talked to a rep online today and asked when my phone was available for a free upgrade. I was told today but then was told that my contract isn't up until December so cannot remove an old line until then unless I want to pay an early termination fee. Then I called AT&T and actually talked to a rep on the phone and they informed me that if I want to upgrade my phone, either through AT&T Next or Standard, that I would still have to pay more a month. Well what is the point in staying with AT&T if I cannot upgrade my phone when needed without being charged more monthly. The whole reason I signed up with AT&T was for the free upgrades. Now all 3 of our phones have crappy service and are crapping out on us. We had hoped that it was just an issue with our phones so were hoping an upgrade would fix it but now we can't upgrade without shelling out even more money than the standard activation fee. If I have to pay even more money just to upgrade then I might as well find a company with better service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

ok yes fine print and quick flash on a commercial shows only 4 financed phones, etc. etc. BUT this is a freaken wireless phone not a mortgage. shouldn't need long agreement to read, very basic. let's face it, AT&T was getting really expensive and only came up w/the share data to keep the customers it was losing and yet they couldn't just come up w/a great deal w/out a catch. i never minded the 2 year contract for a free phone, seems fair BUT data pricing was insane. i have 8 lines and now only 4 can upgrade w/next plan?? unfair to the others who have to pay upfront fees, activation fees and lose the $25 credit. 10 GB share data is great value but honestly, to get less GB and pay more, how does that even make sense?? 2 lines and you are screwed, really?? wish these companies would just be honest and remember they make a ton of $ from their customers, should just stand by their service and stop finding new SHADY ways to overcharge.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

BE CAREFUL OF AT&T BILLING. We have been with AT&T for over 10 years. Last month we changed our plan to the new Mobile Share Value Plan 2GB. We owned our own iphones that were not under contract so the monthly charge was $25 each. But, I made the ultimate billing mistake of upgrading our phones on the last day of the billing period. So the AT&T billing computer charged us $40 each for the whole billing period even though we were only under contract for half of the last billing day. Talked to a AT&T customer service supervisor and he said that they cannot override their billing computer.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

This is just the beginning of the END for AT&T.  They have turned into a BUNCH of deceiving "you know what" that I currently can't stand.  Wait until the iPhone 6 hits the market and everyone stuck on this Mobile Share plan learns that their bill will go up $20 - $27 more per line (this is with the Next program or the 2 year contract program).  AT&T will get what they deserve.  Lots of people unsatisfied and ready to leave.  (Like me, except I am already planning for the big storm.)

I have been with AT&T since 2001.  I am currently setting myself up to move to T-Mobile if they don't stop this price gauging with hidden deception.  

Do yourselves a favor and NEVER agree to the "Next" program.  At&T is pushing it like crazy and I pretty much have figured out why.

If you change to the "Next" program, T-Mobile cannot pay you to leave AT&T.  T-Mobile can only pay Early Termination Fees (ETF) for 2-year contracts.  The "Next" program is just a monthly installment on the phone you purchased.  If you leave early, you have to pay the remaining balance or else they will send you to collections and affect your credit score.

Oh...and I already tried the #7nightstand from T-Mobile.  I suggest you do the same to just try out your coverage.  AT&T will win...yes....but not as much as you would think.  It's always good to test the waters before making a good decision.  And that is what I have done.  AT&T has NO POWER OVER ME.

THANK YOU.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

The "Next" plan is actually worse than the 2-year contract.  This is why....

In the 2 year contract you can upgrade a phone for $199 (or better in some sales), then if you decide to leave AT&T, you pay $350 ETF or less depending on how many months you stayed with AT&T. The MAX you will ever pay is $350.

If you choose the "Next" program and decide not to pay anything down, you are paying for the FULL price of the phone broken down into 24 months.  If you leave 2 months later....you have to pay the remaining bablance of the phone....which could be $400 or more depending when you decide to leave.  If you stay longer, you can pay less to leave...but if you have an unfortunate event....you are stuck paying the full price of the phone.

This is why AT&T pushes everyone to the "Next" program.  It think it is COMPLETELY unfair, decieving, and bad practice in my opininon, but "everyone" is doing it....so they just blame it on T-Mobile.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

ummmm......

4 smart phones $160  10GB Total

I want to upgrade 2 lines to iphone 6 (2 year conract) now turns into.

4 smart phones $210

Tmobile:

4 smarphones $120  (2 phones with 3GB, 2 phones with 1GB)  8GB Total

I want to upgrade to 2 new iphone 6 with $200 down on each....(which is what I always did with AT&T)

I would pay 4 for $120...plus $20 for one iphone 6 and $20 for another iphone 6.

TOTAL....4 smarphones $120 + $20 + $20 = $160

AT&T is REALLY BAD....right now.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

10 years ago

I am on the same boat.....At&t since 2001

I am going to T-Mobile when the iphone 6 hits.....if they don't fix their shh together

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.