For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bobsmith9000's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 21st, 2014 2:48 AM

Mobile Share Value Plans Questions and Discussion

Beware.. The $160 per month plan for 4 smart phones with ATT is pretty shadey. They don't tell you that you are required to pay for 4 smart phones at full retail price. Maybe that small detail is buried somewhere in the fine print when the adds on TV play, but make sure you know exactly what you are paying for before jumping onto this.... It's very, very tricky. 

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

@BamaBoo68 wrote:

Smiley Mad

Spoiler

Smiley FrustratedSO TRUE!!! I went in to upgrade my daughter's phone today and I told them that I didn't want the NEXT (rip off) plan and they said my bill would go up 30. a month for every upgrade. WHAT!! I don't think so.  I told them that AT&T NEEDED to have the mobile share plan because the other companies were blowing them away with pricing.

umm, at&t does have the mobile share plan. on a two year contract, same as the other major phone company, the monthly line access is 40 dollars. on the next plan or if you have a phone thats not on contract with at&t, you get the 15 or 25 dollar discount, the amount depends on which data plan you choose. i see a lot of people saying that they cant wait until their contracts are up. fyi, if you play around with some numbers at the other major carrier, you might be surprised that you may come out paying more, on their share plan + a phone with monthly installments. 

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

By the time you've spent an hour on the phone trying to make sense of what they're telling you, the last thing you want to do is spend more time reading the agreement in the email because they just TOLD YOU what was in it anyway, right????

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

You can get a much cheaper phone at Walmart or Amazon and use that w/your At&T plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Well today I received what I thought would be a normal bill and it turns out that the bill was higher than the company I left to be with this company. I originally went into at&t because of the 160.00 dollar family share plan and it turns out that I am paying 100.00 Dollars more what a scam when my contract is up im out of here. I thought I was saving money but I am actually losing. sprint was better you guys should be ashamed I will cancel my phone lines one by one when I get the chance. Ridiculous!!!!!

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

Its not a scam. The plan costs the same as with the other major carrier. If youre on a contract, the monthly line access is 40 dollars per contract phone. So thats 100+40. If you have a phone out of a contract, its 100+15. If you buy a phone using next and you pay monthly installments, it will be 100+15+ the monthly installment plan. The other major carrier does the same thing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I signed up for the family share plan in February.  I was told my bill would be $160 a month for 10G of shared data, unlimited calls and text for 4 lines.  The customer service agent signed me up. However, since then my bills have been $250 a month. When I called to resolve the issue (I spoke with several managers) I was told that when I signed up I didn't qualify for the $160.  This was NEVER told to me when I signed up or I wouldn't have signed up for those services at all!! Now I am locked into a contract that will end up costing me over $2000 more than I should have to pay by the time it is all said and done.  I'm very disappointed in the lack of knowledge that the customer service agent that handled this had. I do not feel that it is my responsibility to pay the extra $100 per month when it was their mistake.  I really hope that AT&T resolves this quickly or lets me out of my contract. This is absolutely ridiculous.  And, after speaking to other friends and family that signed up for the same service, they are experiencing the same problem. It seems  fraudulent to advertise for that pricing, and have a customer service agent sign me up for that pricing, and then be charged way over.  

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

The family share plan pricing is for OUT OF CONTRACT phone lines. You still receive the pricing if your contract is prior to February 1, 2014. If you have a phone contract after that, you do not receive the discount until your phones are out of contract. All of the advertising states, out of contract, bring your own phone, or NEXT.

It is poor that the customer service reps don't understand that or look at your account to see if you are eligible for the discount.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

How do I inquire about a discount?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Just,

wanted to know what the total bill is with tax on, the 160.00 plan.

1- Basic phone 

3- Bring your own smart phones.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@dicenut wrote:

Just,

wanted to know what the total bill is with tax on, the 160.00 plan.

1- Basic phone 

3- Bring your own smart phones.

The taxes and service fees would depend upon your state and local taxes and surcharges.  Aside from that, the base would be your data plan chosen ($100 for 10GB shared data), plus $15 for each out-of-contract smart phone ($40 - $25 discount for being out of contract) and $15 for your basic phone (once again, assuming you have the 10GB data plan or higher).  Your base rate would be $100 + $15 + $15 + $15 +$15 + taxes and fees.  If you qualify for any employer discounts, these would also apply for you.

For me, I have the 10GB data plan and 2 out of contract smart phones so my fees are:

$100 - 22% + $15 + $15 + taxes & fees = $118 (actually a few cents less).  My taxes & fees come to a little less than $10/month for the 2 phones here in the far north suburbs of Chicago (note that I do not pay the higher Cook county taxes).  I would tell you to estimate your taxes based on your current taxes, or to to guestimate something around $5-10 per phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.