Need help understanding your bill?
Firetail's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, October 20th, 2013 12:16 AM

Is there a way to text even though you don't have a texting plan?

What I'm trying to say really is that if I turn off data roaming and cellular data and just stay on my home's WIFI will it still Charge me? And if it will charge me still, is there a way to text without getting charged? Answer this question as In-depth as you would like!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

294 Messages

10 years ago

@Firetail wrote:
What I'm trying to say really is that if I turn off data roaming and cellular data and just stay on my home's WIFI will it still Charge me? And if it will charge me still, is there a way to text without getting charged? Answer this question as In-depth as you would like!

You can still text if cellular data is off. Only picture messages would have issues. You would also be charged for texts sent or received if there is not a text block. The text block is free.  

There are a few ways you can send messages without being charged. All methods require data though, either 3g/4g or wifi. You can use google voice and get a free number and text though the app. You can use apps like facebook messenger, viber, skype and many others and send messages that way as well. Of course, with those apps, it requires the other users to also have the same apps as you do. 

I would recommend google voice since it doesn't require the other people to use the same apps. The only drawback is that it would be texting using a phone number provided by google and not your ATT phone number and there is still no mms support on google voice.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

If you have internet just go to textem.net and text for free. I'm on disability and have a limited minute phone so I've used textem daily for a few years now and it works great! : )
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.