Reply
Posted Sep 24, 2010
Forced Media Package

I just bought a USED phone because I do not need a media package, but wanted a phone with wifi.  I was surprised to get the text telling me that as a "courtesy" at&t upgraded me to a $25/month media package.  My wife did the same thing earlier this year with an LG Incite (she has since changed phones).  A coworker has the same phone with AT&T.  AT&T does not consider them smartphones, but the phones has the same features as mine (wifi, windows os).  Is there any rhyme to AT&T's stupid communistic rule of requiring plans for phones that are not bought as an upgrade???  I am now once again using my old worn out phone, while my nice new phone sits dorment because AT&T does not care for its customers.

 

BTW my contract is up in December and I will be switching to T-mobile which has nice packages for people who already have a phone.

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
9-26-2010 9:24:36 AM
0
(0)
Tutor

Yeah it is on party line "sprint and tmobile are robbing their customers why not us"  for one at&t solved the  problem of over data usage by giving people the option of blocking the data feature, funny how they can no longer block the data feature.   Second at&t could just as easily did a pay as you go with a cap of 30 dollars if you use $5 dollar worth you pay $5 and if you use it to where your usage would top $100 you pay only $30 because of the $30 cap it the gave a hoot about their customers and not trying to feature out how to squeeze every dollar they can out of them,  but at&t in an effort to rob people a person who never uses the data plan or uses the data feature very limited will have to pay $30 time 12  for a service that they never/rarely use.   simple just because sprint, tmobile and verizon does it doesn't mean At&t should have.    if any one who reading feels the same way that I do join me in being the one of the first in requesting AT&T change this money grabbing policy.  sign up with me.

 

This is what I would what At&t to do

1. If you would like to have unlimited data you can sign up for the $30 a month plan

2. If you use your data feature occasionally you can sign up for a pay as you go plan, but I do understand business is business, so a pay as you go plan will have a cap of $50 dollar a month.  and this is the default feature for all smart phones

3 If you never use your data feature At&t needs to reinstate the option of you having the option to turn the data feature off.  Period you should not have to pay for something you choose NOT to use.

 

 

If enough At&T customers sign on to this then we can force At&T to respect it customers or we as a whole can petition another cell provider to offer a data service similar to the one above.   If AT&T was smart it would do this because I know some people on other cell companies would switch because they don't want to pay for unlimited data when they don't use it.   

 

LET MAKE THIS THE LONGEST POST  AT&T HAS SEEN

Accepted Solution

Forced Media Package

510 views
18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(18)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2010
0
(0)
Guru

All smartphones that are used with AT&T service require a Data Plan, doesn't matter if they are AT&T branded or unlocked or if you bought it used or using your upgrade.

 

Breaking news: Every mayor carrier requires a Data Plan if you use a smartphone, AT&T was the last carrier to make mandatory this feature. The only exception would be T-Mobile that lets you have a line without a Data Plan if you use an unlocked phone or a phone that is not T-Mobile branded. If you're going to T-Mobile then most probably you can use your unlocked phone without a Data Plan.

 

The mandatory Data Plan was added since the last year because a lot of people usually received humongous bill charges and customers were claiming that they didn't use data when they had a smartphone. Don't blame AT&T, blame the customers that made this feature mandatory because they were requesting credits each time they "never used data".

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2010
0
(0)
Guru

 


jakeh56 wrote:

A coworker has the same phone with AT&T.  AT&T does not consider them smartphones, but the phones has the same features as mine (wifi, windows os).


 

If you have a smartphone and your coworker has the same model phone, then that one is also a smartphone.  However, if that person had that phone on that line before the data plan was required, your coworker was "grandfathered" in and keeps an exemption until he or she changes phones.

 

Where or how you obtained the phone is not relevant.  When you obtained the phone and started using it on that specific line is what matters.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2010
0
(0)
Mentor

 


Virtual wrote:

 

The mandatory Data Plan was added since the last year because a lot of people usually received humongous bill charges and customers were claiming that they didn't use data when they had a smartphone. Don't blame AT&T, blame the customers that made this feature mandatory because they were requesting credits each time they "never used data".


That's a statement of the party line, however, why don't they let you block data on smartphones like I do on my dumphone? I would like to buy a smartphone with wifi capabillities but only use  it when wifi is available. Also when they had the unlimited plan available they could have stopped the high bills by capping the charge at $30 like the unlimited plan whether you had a data plan or not. They are looking out for themselves, not the customer as the PR handouts would make you believe.

 

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2010
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

cga632 wrote:

 


Virtual wrote:

 

The mandatory Data Plan was added since the last year because a lot of people usually received humongous bill charges and customers were claiming that they didn't use data when they had a smartphone. Don't blame AT&T, blame the customers that made this feature mandatory because they were requesting credits each time they "never used data".


That's a statement of the party line, however, why don't they let you block data on smartphones like I do on my dumphone? I would like to buy a smartphone with wifi capabillities but only use  it when wifi is available. Also when they had the unlimited plan available they could have stopped the high bills by capping the charge at $30 like the unlimited plan whether you had a data plan or not. They are looking out for themselves, not the customer as the PR handouts would make you believe.

 


interesting the "party line", which "party" are you refering to - ATT, Verizon, Sprint? Since they all require a data plan for a smartphone and do not allow data blocking on said phones. The did stop the complaints about the data bills, they made the data plan required, simplest, most elegant way of doing it. Small wonder that they are looking out for themselves, after all they are a business and the primary goal of a business is to make money.

 

Might want to look at T-Mobile as a provider, some have posted that they do not require a data plan is you bring your own phone, but then you night want to do the due dikigence with other T-Mobile customer;'s on the forum to verify they have the coverage you need.

 

Before you claim it - no I do not work for ATT, although we do have some nice consulting contracts with ATT, we also have them with Sprint, and verizon.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Forced Media Package

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Sep 26, 2010
0
(0)
Tutor

Yeah it is on party line "sprint and tmobile are robbing their customers why not us"  for one at&t solved the  problem of over data usage by giving people the option of blocking the data feature, funny how they can no longer block the data feature.   Second at&t could just as easily did a pay as you go with a cap of 30 dollars if you use $5 dollar worth you pay $5 and if you use it to where your usage would top $100 you pay only $30 because of the $30 cap it the gave a hoot about their customers and not trying to feature out how to squeeze every dollar they can out of them,  but at&t in an effort to rob people a person who never uses the data plan or uses the data feature very limited will have to pay $30 time 12  for a service that they never/rarely use.   simple just because sprint, tmobile and verizon does it doesn't mean At&t should have.    if any one who reading feels the same way that I do join me in being the one of the first in requesting AT&T change this money grabbing policy.  sign up with me.

 

This is what I would what At&t to do

1. If you would like to have unlimited data you can sign up for the $30 a month plan

2. If you use your data feature occasionally you can sign up for a pay as you go plan, but I do understand business is business, so a pay as you go plan will have a cap of $50 dollar a month.  and this is the default feature for all smart phones

3 If you never use your data feature At&t needs to reinstate the option of you having the option to turn the data feature off.  Period you should not have to pay for something you choose NOT to use.

 

 

If enough At&T customers sign on to this then we can force At&T to respect it customers or we as a whole can petition another cell provider to offer a data service similar to the one above.   If AT&T was smart it would do this because I know some people on other cell companies would switch because they don't want to pay for unlimited data when they don't use it.   

 

LET MAKE THIS THE LONGEST POST  AT&T HAS SEEN

Re: Forced Media Package

Solution
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2010
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhood622 wrote:

Yeah it is on party line "sprint and tmobile are robbing their customers why not us"  for one at&t solved the  problem of over data usage by giving people the option of blocking the data feature, funny how they can no longer block the data feature.   Second at&t could just as easily did a pay as you go with a cap of 30 dollars if you use $5 dollar worth you pay $5 and if you use it to where your usage would top $100 you pay only $30 because of the $30 cap it the gave a hoot about their customers and not trying to feature out how to squeeze every dollar they can out of them,  but at&t in an effort to rob people a person who never uses the data plan or uses the data feature very limited will have to pay $30 time 12  for a service that they never/rarely use.   simple just because sprint, tmobile and verizon does it doesn't mean At&t should have.    if any one who reading feels the same way that I do join me in being the one of the first in requesting AT&T change this money grabbing policy.  sign up with me.

 

This is what I would what At&t to do

1. If you would like to have unlimited data you can sign up for the $30 a month plan

2. If you use your data feature occasionally you can sign up for a pay as you go plan, but I do understand business is business, so a pay as you go plan will have a cap of $50 dollar a month.  and this is the default feature for all smart phones

3 If you never use your data feature At&t needs to reinstate the option of you having the option to turn the data feature off.  Period you should not have to pay for something you choose NOT to use.

 

 

If enough At&T customers sign on to this then we can force At&T to respect it customers or we as a whole can petition another cell provider to offer a data service similar to the one above.   If AT&T was smart it would do this because I know some people on other cell companies would switch because they don't want to pay for unlimited data when they don't use it.   

 

LET MAKE THIS THE LONGEST POST  AT&T HAS SEEN


/rofl good luck on this, doubt you will be able to "force att" to do anything. thanks for a amusing post

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2010
0
(0)
Employee
OP, you can always use a smartphone for just $15/mo for 200 MB plan.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2010
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01, this user is post flooding. I've located two additional areas containing the exact same post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2010
0
(0)
Guru
Start your own Wireless company, put up thousands of towers, and then you can charge yourself what ever you want.
dhood622 wrote:

Yeah it is on party line "sprint and tmobile are robbing their customers why not us"  for one at&t solved the  problem of over data usage by giving people the option of blocking the data feature, funny how they can no longer block the data feature.   Second at&t could just as easily did a pay as you go with a cap of 30 dollars if you use $5 dollar worth you pay $5 and if you use it to where your usage would top $100 you pay only $30 because of the $30 cap it the gave a hoot about their customers and not trying to feature out how to squeeze every dollar they can out of them,  but at&t in an effort to rob people a person who never uses the data plan or uses the data feature very limited will have to pay $30 time 12  for a service that they never/rarely use.   simple just because sprint, tmobile and verizon does it doesn't mean At&t should have.    if any one who reading feels the same way that I do join me in being the one of the first in requesting AT&T change this money grabbing policy.  sign up with me.

 

This is what I would what At&t to do

1. If you would like to have unlimited data you can sign up for the $30 a month plan

2. If you use your data feature occasionally you can sign up for a pay as you go plan, but I do understand business is business, so a pay as you go plan will have a cap of $50 dollar a month.  and this is the default feature for all smart phones

3 If you never use your data feature At&t needs to reinstate the option of you having the option to turn the data feature off.  Period you should not have to pay for something you choose NOT to use.

 

 

If enough At&T customers sign on to this then we can force At&T to respect it customers or we as a whole can petition another cell provider to offer a data service similar to the one above.   If AT&T was smart it would do this because I know some people on other cell companies would switch because they don't want to pay for unlimited data when they don't use it.   

 

LET MAKE THIS THE LONGEST POST  AT&T HAS SEEN


 

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2010
0
(0)
Professor

dhood622, let me know when you startup. I'll try your new service out. Until then, please lets not "make this the longest post AT&T has seen".

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2010
0
(0)
Tutor

 


erichamion wrote:

 


jakeh56 wrote:

A coworker has the same phone with AT&T.  AT&T does not consider them smartphones, but the phones has the same features as mine (wifi, windows os).


 

If you have a smartphone and your coworker has the same model phone, then that one is also a smartphone.  However, if that person had that phone on that line before the data plan was required, your coworker was "grandfathered" in and keeps an exemption until he or she changes phones.

 

Where or how you obtained the phone is not relevant.  When you obtained the phone and started using it on that specific line is what matters.


 

 

 

He is not Grandfathered in, but he gave me some good info that seems to work.  I have been using my smartphone for over a month and no required data plan:smileywink: 

Re: Forced Media Package

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2010
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

jakeh56 wrote:

 


erichamion wrote:

 


jakeh56 wrote:

A coworker has the same phone with AT&T.  AT&T does not consider them smartphones, but the phones has the same features as mine (wifi, windows os).


 

If you have a smartphone and your coworker has the same model phone, then that one is also a smartphone.  However, if that person had that phone on that line before the data plan was required, your coworker was "grandfathered" in and keeps an exemption until he or she changes phones.

 

Where or how you obtained the phone is not relevant.  When you obtained the phone and started using it on that specific line is what matters.


 

 

 

He is not Grandfathered in, but he gave me some good info that seems to work.  I have been using my smartphone for over a month and no required data plan:smileywink: 


He gave you information that is allowing you to violate the terms of service of your agreement with ATT, it may work, but if ATT discovers that you are violating the TOS they will add it to your service. Perfectly legal, if you are out of contract they might even be able to cancel your service. I see that yu are switching to T-mobile - might want to read their terms also - that have the same policy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Forced Media Package

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2010
0
(0)
Tutor

Actually nothing done is illegal, and the joy if Tmobile is that you do not have a contract with an unlocked phone.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2010
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

jakeh56 wrote:

Actually nothing done is illegal, and the joy if Tmobile is that you do not have a contract with an unlocked phone.


depends on your definition of illegal, violating a legally binding contract is considered illegal in parts of the world, the US included. That is your decision, good luck in a tier 4 provider, hope you have done your homwork for coverage in the areas that you need it - by checking the forums and not by looking atthe prety pictures the markeint people post on their website. Their coverage in a lot of places is lacking badly. you also might want to move fast, it has been reported that the ability of no data plan for a owned phone is going away just like they started soft capping unlimited data plans to 5GB on 10/16 - if you go over they throttle the bandwidth to email only untill your next billing cycle - something to think of also

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Forced Media Package

[ Edited ]
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2010
0
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info, and as long as ATT does not charge me for the media package I am going to stay.  Here is the deal wingrider01, I have done nothing to my phone, and ATT fixed the problem on their end.  Now am I going to call them up and say hey I have a smartphone you should charge me $15 a month??  Heck no, would you?  My wife (who was not Grandfathered in) had a LG incite a few months ago that has everything my phone has, but ATT did not consider it a smartphone.  So would she have been in violation of her contract if she did not called them and complained about not forcing her to take the media package?  I don't think so.  But thanks again for the info.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2010
0
(0)
Tutor

Just an update...It has been almost 2 months and AT&T has still not required a data plan.  When I log in my ATT account it shows my smartphone by my name, so I guess my coworker was correct after all, at least so far.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2010
0
(0)
Professor
Well good luck with it.

Just to clarify it does break the ToS. If you had service last year, page 1 of your august - sept bill showed this:

--

Data Plan Requirements for Smartphones
 
An eligible data plan is required for Smartphones (including iPhone, Blackberry & PDA devices) per AT&T's Wireless Rate Plan Terms & Wireless Data Service Terms & Conditions at www.att.com/planterms. If you begin using a Smartphone after 09/05/09 without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account & bill you the proper monthly fee. See www.att.com/smartphoneplans for more info.

--

If you got service after then, the terms of service you signed would have had it.

Re: Forced Media Package

0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 11, 2010
0
(0)
Tutor

Yes but AT&T knows what phone I have and they have not added the media plan so I do not think that I am breaking the contract.  ATT reserves the right, does not mean that if they don't force it on me that I am breaking the contract.  Just like my wife who has what I would consider a smartphone, but ATT does not force the plan on her and never has.  She is not breaking the contract because ATT knows the phone she has, but ATT is not consistent with their identification of a Smartphone.

 

But as I mentioned before, when they know which phone I have and do not force me into a data plan then I am not breaking the contract IMO.

Re: Forced Media Package

Share this post
Share this post