Posted Dec 9, 2013
ETF if I switch to Mobile Share?

I just got a Nexus 5 from the Google Play store, but I guess I'm still locked in until Aug. 2014 with my existing 2 year plan. I wanted to switch to mobile share as it would save me money since I purchased a phone separate from my contract.

Is there any point in trying to have the ETF waived if I switch plans? Otherwise that $15 savings won't make up for the $175 cancellation fee for almost two years.

ETF if I switch to Mobile Share?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2013
(0)
ACE - Scholar

There is no ETF for switching to a Mobile Share.

If you do pay the ETF, you do save the $15 a month.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: ACE is a forum title; I am not affiliated with AT&T]
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ETF if I switch to Mobile Share?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 10, 2013
(0)
ACE - Professor
As mentioned, you will not be charged an early termination fee for changing your plan. In fact. I do it all the time according to my own usage! :smileyhappy:

You can basically change your phone your plans or phones at anytime you wish to without fear of paying the ETF. Just make sure to call customer care on a different phone like a house phone (800)331-0500 since changing the plan may require you to power off your phone. :smileywink:
~Sunshine :smileyhappy:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 10, 2013
(0)
Employee

I've heard companies like Sprint/Tmobile did stuff like that. (don't know if they still do)

We're not them.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 13, 2013
(0)
ACE - Professor

You can switch to the Mobile Share plan without paying the ETF, but my understanding is that you would still pay $40 a month for the smartphone fee since you are still under contract for a previously subsidized device.  Your rate wouldn't drop to $25 until that contract is completed.