For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
bcox3731's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 7:48 AM

Do I lose my $15.00 plan on the new 10GB Mobile Share Value Plan?

Do I lose my $15.00 per line with the 10GB mobile share value plan when I upgrade to the new iPhone 6 using the next plan?  When I was going through the pre-order it showed that it would go up to $40.00 instead of the $15.00 or will my discount still apply?  I was under the impression that if I was to do a regular upgrade it would go up to $40 but it would stay at the $15.00 if I did the next plan.  If it does go up I want to return the phone and revert back to my old plan.

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

10 years ago

You should be able to keep it, I kept mine when I upgraded to the Galaxy S5, but I did it in a corporate store and not online. From what I have read, as long as you upgrade using NEXT, you will keep your discount. I freaked out the other night because my estimated bill that I got in my email showed that my line fees went back up to $40 each, but when I got my actual bill (first bill since upgrading), the discount on my lines were still there.

I just don't think their system updates properly and maybe thinks you're doing a normal upgrade, but the bill shows differently when you get it.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@bcox3731 wrote:

Do I lose my $15.00 per line with the 10GB mobile share value plan when I upgrade to the new iPhone 6 using the next plan?  When I was going through the pre-order it showed that it would go up to $40.00 instead of the $15.00 or will my discount still apply?  I was under the impression that if I was to do a regular upgrade it would go up to $40 but it would stay at the $15.00 if I did the next plan.  If it does go up I want to return the phone and revert back to my old plan.

I believe resendetra is correct. Perhaps @ATTDmitriyCM can come along and confirm.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

The pre order screen shows the cost of the phone line which is $40. It unfortunately does not show the discounts.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

I just called to ask about this and I was told they are charging $40 after you upgrade. I was NEVER told this when ordering. They sneak it in after you order. Very shady.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had the same question after seeing the $40 charge on my pre-order screen. I fiqured after being an AT&T customer for 15 years, there would be same way around the increase. After trying the online chat (unavailable) and holding on the phone for 30 mins, I was simply told, "No". So, I can pay the full price for a new phone, or go with the Next program. Either way, I end up paying more. What happened to the old days when you could upgrade and keep the same plan and pricing? I would think AT&T would be more appreciative of their loyal customers but I would be wrong in doing so. After 15 years, I am sad to say I will be switching carriers and happily saving money in the process. I'm sure after enough people leave for another carrier, the pricing for newcomers will be decreased...very upsetting. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you all for your input it does appear that I get to keep the discount.

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

10 years ago

You get billed the $40 per line regardless, but then the discount gets tacked on at the end.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@dugnat wrote:

I had the same question after seeing the $40 charge on my pre-order screen. I fiqured after being an AT&T customer for 15 years, there would be same way around the increase. After trying the online chat (unavailable) and holding on the phone for 30 mins, I was simply told, "No". So, I can pay the full price for a new phone, or go with the Next program. Either way, I end up paying more. What happened to the old days when you could upgrade and keep the same plan and pricing? I would think AT&T would be more appreciative of their loyal customers but I would be wrong in doing so. After 15 years, I am sad to say I will be switching carriers and happily saving money in the process. I'm sure after enough people leave for another carrier, the pricing for newcomers will be decreased...very upsetting. 

Your question is different from teh original poster's question.  The original poster is asking if the lose their "out of contrsct discount" when they purchase a new phone using NEXT.  The answer for them is "No, you shouldn't lose the discount".  I myself have the same plan as the OP (Original Poster) and I upgraded using NEXT without losing my "out of contract discount".

In your case, you are wanting to upgrade using the contract subsidized phone price, and keep the "out of contract discount" for your service.  This is not possible, as signing a new service contract will cause you to lose the "out of contract discount", since you will no longer be out of contract.  The Mobile Share Value Plans allow you to choose which you get: Full Priced phone and service at a discount, or discounted phone and service at full price.  Depending upon your exact situation you may save more money with the discounted phone, or you may save more with the discounted service.  You would need to compare the prices for your exact situation to determine which option is a better fit for your situation.  For most customers on a 10GB Mobile Share Plan (or higher) they will save more money to pay the full price for the phone, and keep the $25/line discount on the service.  For customers with a Mobile Share Plan with less than 10GB data, most of them will save more money to pay the full price for their service and keep the discount on the phone since they only have a $15/line discount on their service.

Remember that when you chose to switch your plans, there were differences in the plans that impacted how you pay for phone upgrades.  Everyone I know personally who switched to the Mobile Share Value Plans were aware of the impacts of these new plans.  Several of them actually sat down and created spreadsheets to compute the cost of the phone, the service, the Activation fees, ETF's, etc. over the full range of dates from 1 year to 3 years assuming they left their plans alone, or the switched to the new plans.  They also included the total costs assuming they they got a new phone every 2 years.  In the end, most of these people saw that in the worset case they wold pay the same amount on a Mobile Share Value Plan with no discounts as they would if they made no changes.  They also saw that if they had the 10GB data plan, they could save almost $200 using NEXT to purchase their phones over the full 2 years, and potentially lots more if they upgraded yearly.  I din't get that elaborate, but I cam up with similar numbers for my own situation.  Your Milage May Vary.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.