For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
macmilk's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 9th, 2015 3:53 PM

Device limits on the Next program

Let me just state how incredibly frustrated I am that consumer accounts are limited to only four lines on the next program.  Because at&t chooses to enforce a device limit as opposed to a credit limit (which is what ALL the other wireless providers offer with their installment programs) it will be impossible for me to put any other line on my account on to your next program... regardless of how much we pay off the other lines, unless they are paid in full... at which point that line would want to upgrade again any how.  

The only option I have for my other lines is a 2yr contract.... but as soon as I put that line into a new 2yr agreement, my access fee will shoot up from $15/month to $40/month for the next 24 months of the contract.  Let's do the math...

$25 x 24 = $600, Subsidized phone cost = $199, Upgrade fee cost = $40

A grand total of $839 for a 2yr contract upgrade as opposed to...

Financed device cost = $27.09 x 24 = $650.16

That is a blatant rip off and a HUGE slap in the face to your loyal customers already on larger family plans.  I understand the need for limits when it comes to financing these various devices, but I think it's to have a device limit as opposed to a credit limit... by offering a credit limit you could greatly improve the flexibility to larger family plans and allow them to plan upgrades based around their given credit line at the moment.  It also should be more clearly represented by your sales reps.  This problem happened when one line broke her phone over the summer and went into a store to get a new phone.  She still had about a year left on her contract but was next early upgrade eligible.  She got a new phone by putting it on the next program.  Meanwhile another line on our account was planing on upgrading to the new iPhone 6 in the fall. This line was already out of contract as he was patiently waiting for the new iPhone to be in stock... when we were finally ready to upgrade this line, we were then told that the only option was a 2yr contract.  Talk about a huge disappointment for that line.  Here they waited patiently, were out of contract and had it all planned out... because of the fourth lines upgrade and the lack of clarity given to that early next upgrade done about a month earlier, the fifth line now had to pay almost $200 more to have the privilege to upgrade his line.  Because he has to pay for his monthly portion of the monthly bill and now has the addtional up front phone cost and upgrade fee to consider, he has chose to not get a new phone.  

at&t needs to come up with a better way to apply limits to the next program instead of some vague device limit which is a completely vague way to establish credit limits.  This is one area were all three of the other big players have you beat!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

So dumb... If you want a shared plan with more than 4 lines stay away from att because the 5th line gets the shaft!

Let's say you'd like to upgrade to an iphone 6 plus. Sounds great right? Next installment extra 25$ a month no big deal.. But instead your options are

Buy phone at full retail price 749.99 plus tax and activation = $840

Or 2 year commitment and about 400 bucks up front, loss of a 25$ credit and a slap across the face

Why punish lines 5 and beyond for being last in line?

Sprint is looking better everyday....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

or just go buy a phone full retail.  You can find top tier android phones for under 450 dollars brand new.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Not everyone has $700+ dollars lying around... also, at&t charges a $50 premium for iPhones outright verses iPhones that are purchased through their upgrade options (if you didn't know).  Lastly, I have no interest in an android phone... when you spend 7+ years using an iPhone, the prospect of switching platforms becomes far fetched and more work than it would be worth... these platforms are "sticky".

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

If you are already an AT&T customer you are not required to buy new phones ( that is a Verizon condition )

Purchasing new phones if you don't have to is also no way to lower your bill. Not every new phone costs $700.
My ex husband purchased a brand new LG for $350 in store. Which brings up my last suggestion, you don't have to buy from AT&T. As long as a phone is AT&T, or unlocked compatible phone, you can use it on your plan.

Since AT&T is financing these phones at retail cost, they are taking the financial risk. They have the right to limit that risk.

Rumor has them allowing a 5th Next phone on a mobile plan soon, but it's only a rumor.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

As I said before, I have no problem with limits and I understand the need for setting limits.  What I don't understand is why at&t chooses to impose a device limit instead of what the other big carriers do, which is having a line of credit.  Not all phones are created equal, are you saying someone who has four $400+ android phones should be viewed as the same amount of risk as someone who has four $800+ iphone 6s?  A device limit is not an accurate way of gauging risk.  It also makes it far less flexible to time upgrades in the future.  With a line of credit an account could time their upgrades around the given credit limit.

I don't think this is asking for much and it's certainly not reasonable.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

I see your point. It's a request made by others and hopefully a suggestion they will take to heart.

I have heard that if you ca buy a Next plan phone through another source , (Apple ) and dodge the 4 device limit. I have no idea it it's true.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

no apple goes thru ATT for next contracts.  Thus the reason some poeple who skirted that are getting a bill for the full price of the phone.  It seems apples system lag by a day or did over the holiday.

As for your att charges more for a full retail iPhone I have yet to see that.  I can go onto att.com and buy one for the same price as apple is selling them for. 

My thing is if you like fruit phones your going to pay for them and to me there over priced and have less features than a android phone.  Apple still does not know what a widget is.  That is the reason we sold our iPads and got android tablets.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for posting that. It did sound like a loop hole that would quickly be plugged, and so it has....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Seems that you either love or hate apple or "fruit phones" but like Mac said if you've used iPhones for a long time it'd be a hard switch. I had a android for a business phone and hated it. Super laggy just didn't flow nice like my iphone. Att told me I could pay half the balance on the lowest lines remaining balance and get an iphone that way. That's probably my best option. Either that or just wait. Anyone else been given that option?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.