Posted Sep 1, 2013
7:46:06 PM
Customer Care repeatedly promises to waive fees and then DOESN'T

Activation FeeThree different AT&T reps have told me my activation fee would be waived. One said she put a note in my file so it would for sure be done.

$100 Equipment: I bought the exact same equipment that AT&T sends new customers for $15 on craigslist. I told all five AT&T reps I've talked to that I had my own and wanted to use that. After the first 2 reps, I signed up for internet and they immediately mailed out new equipment to me despite it all. So the 3rd person I talked to gave me instructions for sending it back to get my money back. The fifth person I talked (Leo) to apologized for all the confusion and said I could keep the equipment for free and he'd upgrade me from 1.5Mbps to 6Mbps. He even transferred me to "his supervisor" (Rica) who backed up everything he said and asked if they had been helpful. I said I was skeptical since in the past they had promised but not acted, but if it were true I was very happy. 

[The 4th rep I called because their internet didn't work even with their own equipment; they had to send someone out to fix it so that took forever.]

Yet I get my bill, which isn't due till 9/17, and both the activation fee AND the equipment are on the bill with notes underneath that say they are being spread out in segments ($33 for three months, etc) "as you requested" (no, I never requested that because I never even agreed to it). 

I've come to believe talking on the phone and things promised on the phone mean nothing. Am I really expected to pay these bills after being promised over and over that I wouldn't have to?? Why do they promise things and then not deliver??

Customer Care repeatedly promises to waive fees and then DOESN'T

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2013 8:24:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

When I called on 8/21 to place my order, the rep told me my Activation Fee would be waived.  Received my bill and it wasn't.

Called "Customer Care" this past week and she told me that they don't waive the AF.  She told me that they emailed me my order so why did I wait a week to call - you know, like it was my fault the first rep lied to me!  I've been having reception issues (the reason I left UVerse years ago) since installation so she discounted me half of the AF.

I'm seriously thinking about bailing again.  Good luck!

Re: Customer Care repeatedly promises to waive fees and then DOESN'T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2013 8:43:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah my friend who works for AT&T said even for him they would only discount half of it. WHY THE HECK DO THEY PROMISE TO WAIVE IT if they won't?? What kind of customer care just lies to their customers? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 5:38:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Lizster wrote:

When I called on 8/21 to place my order, the rep told me my Activation Fee would be waived.  Received my bill and it wasn't.

Called "Customer Care" this past week and she told me that they don't waive the AF.  She told me that they emailed me my order so why did I wait a week to call - you know, like it was my fault the first rep lied to me!  I've been having reception issues (the reason I left UVerse years ago) since installation so she discounted me half of the AF.

I'm seriously thinking about bailing again.  Good luck!

Customer Care does not have a phone number.  You talked to customer service.  To actually talk to someone from Customer Care, send a private message to the escalation team at ATT Customer Care and someone will get in touch with you. Please include your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Their normal business hours are from 7am to 10pm Central Time. It may take up to 48 hours for them to respond and please take into account weekends when contacting them.  

Customer care is not the same as customer service. They are a dedicated escalation team that gets issues resolved when other means have failed.

To check for their reply, click the little blue envelope.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 9:16:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

^ Not sure what you mean by "Customer Care does not have a phone number," here is a list for customer care on their own site. Billing & Invoice is 1-800-722-3481. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013 10:01:42 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T Connect is, I believe, a Web Conferencing Service that is used by businesses.  Their "Customer Care" is not the same as the AT&T Customer Care mentioned by oufanindallas, which is a team of social media managers for residential customers, and they are not reachable by phone.  They are indeed contacted by PM as oufan says, and the phone number you cite is not for the same group.  Hope this helps.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 4, 2013 12:23:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

For anyone interested, I did message AT&T Customer Care on 9/2/13 but they still haven't read my message. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 5, 2013 7:46:33 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi pantheroom,

I'm sorry for the delay. We received a large number of messages this week and are running a little behind after the holiday on Monday. One of our managers will be looking into this for you and reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 5, 2013 11:16:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Sep 5, 2013 at 11:21:24 AM

I'm very happy to announce an AT&T Customer Care rep, David, helped fix my bill by removing this month's activation fee and equipment charge!! Thank you thank you thank you. 

Can someone explain, though, why the billing cycle is listed as August 23, 2013 - August 23, 2013? It's a full month charge, so is that for September, or...?

[removed link to image with personal information]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 5, 2013 11:18:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Oops it doesn't show the period there. Here it shows the period, the old amount and new amount. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 6, 2013 2:48:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

pantheroom wrote:

Oops it doesn't show the period there. Here it shows the period, the old amount and new amount. 

I replied in the other thread...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.