chkptco's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 5:16 AM

iPad app behind my router

Has anyone to get the iPad app to work with their own router? I'm forced to use my own wireless router due to the 2wire being placed in my basement and not having enough coverage to reach my upper floors. It looks like the app is using multicast to connect to the stb. Has anyone tried to configure igmp/pim to get the iPad app to work from a network other than thr RG?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Any thoughts on doing this with a consumer router (Cisco e4200) running alternate firmware (TomatoUSB 1.28.0500.5MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N-Ext) - it does support Wireless Multicast Forwarding.

My config is similar:

RG on 172.16.0.1

Cisco e4200 connected to RG in DMZPlus mode, on 172.16.0.2

Though my receivers (2 by coax, 1 directly via Ethernet to the RG) get addresses from the RG on 172.16.1.x, even though they are configured to be part of the "Private 172.16.0.0" pool)

Any starting points to investiagate would be great.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Can someone help me set this up under suse linux?  I have never had to route multicast packets before.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

11 years ago

@btorrenga wrote:

Can someone help me set this up under suse linux?  I have never had to route multicast packets before.

What exactly are you wanting to do ? Are you using the RG or another router 

I use Ubuntu 12.04 there is no need to change anything to allow access to the web other than the usual correct encryption and password for wireless.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I want to use the iPad app on the subnet controlled by my suse router which has its ip served from the RG in DMZ+ mode.  To do so, I must enable multicast routing between the suse router and the RG. Otherwise the app cannot locate the STB.  I do not know how to enable multicast routing in suse.  Does anyone know how to do so, similar to the above post, but under suse?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

I do not believe that the mulitcast routing has anything to do with the iPad's communications with the STB.

The problem is that when you've got your own router serving your Wireless network via the DMZplus configuration, routing into the IPTV 192.168.1.0/24 subnet isn't happening.  I'm not sure that you can configure the RG to route traffic from the DMZplus into the rest of your network (or vice versa).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

The above post indicates multicast routing resolves the issue. However, I have a Linux based router running suse, unlike the posted solution.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

I do see that is part of the configuration.  And, to be honest, I do not know exactly what protocols or addresses the application uses to communicate with the STB.  Maybe we can get someone who has wiresharked the protocol to let us in on the secret.

I am still waiting on an SDK for Android devices.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I am guessing telling the LAN router that the RG is a protocol independent multicast neighbor is the trick.  The app broadcasts to  its subnet asking the uverse RG where the STBs are on the network.  Usually this will fail if your app is on a different subnet, but the above post indicates if your router considerably the RG to be a protocol independent multicast neighbor, then broadcast packets may be routed to the RG and vice versa.  That's my guess.  It seems to be protocol agnostibroader harps this acts as some sort of all purpose broadcast relay, but I don't know.  That is my guess.

Please chime in if anyone knows how to setup a protocol independent multicast neighbor under lineup Linux.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

The U-verse box & the ipad do use SSDP protocol (239.255.255.250 group address) to see each other. The Suse box likely see's this protocol and propogates it accordingly (without routing multicast).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Bit of a newbie - weekend router junkie....so unfortunately I have not been abel to translate the ASA commands to Juniper/ NetScreen SSG5 FW/ router....

Does anyone have the multicast config to make this work with an SSG5 behind the AT&T RG?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.