mmorgan0678's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 4:40 PM

Will I need special equipment to watch Netflix on my TV?

I have a Toshiba TV that is several years old, I don't know if it's HD or not. For cable I have AT&T U-verse, and I use a JVC device as a DVD player and sound system. Netflix's website talks about devices that it works with, but the particular ones I have aren't mentioned. U-verse has several interactive apps, but Netflix doesn't show up on my screen. I don't want to sign up for Netflix if I won't be able to stream it to the TV. If I need additional equipment, I want to look into getting that first.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mmorgan0678 wrote:

I have a Toshiba TV that is several years old, I don't know if it's HD or not. For cable I have AT&T U-verse, and I use a JVC device as a DVD player and sound system. Netflix's website talks about devices that it works with, but the particular ones I have aren't mentioned. U-verse has several interactive apps, but Netflix doesn't show up on my screen. I don't want to sign up for Netflix if I won't be able to stream it to the TV. If I need additional equipment, I want to look into getting that first.

U-Verse is not going to offer Netflix streaming to its customers.  You will need a non-AT&T Device, such as a Roku box, Smart TV, Smart BluRay player, tablet or another type of streaming device (like Google Chromecast or many others).  AT&T has it's own VoD rental services and Netflix is a direct competitor.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mmorgan0678 - Probably the simplest device is a ROKU with video output to connect to your TV, You could do the same with a DVD or blue-ray player with netflix access. May cost more but you can play DVDs. Some content on Netflix is DVD & some is streamed.
Post your TV model so I can look up and see what inputs you have available.

You can also connect your computer to the TV and access netflix via your computer browser.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I meant to post that first reply to the other answer. Does at&t offer something that's truly similar to netflix, pay one price per month and watch whatever movies you want? Or is it strictly pay per movie? If the former, where do you find it in the menu? I haven't found it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I looked in the back. It doesn't have a usb input. However, it has a port labeled pc input that's the old-fashioned kind with screws on the side, one labeled hdmi that already has something plugged into it, and the tri-colored inputs for video and audio. It is hd.The model number is 42HP95. If it helps, there's something called a "chasis number" that's TAC516.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Your answer is the more helpful one, and I'm trying to provide you with the additional information.

If I can ever get HAL to open the pod bay doors. It keeps putting it in the wrong one, and then not letting me post it in the right one, saying it's not unique. Let me move or delete it for crying out loud!

I posted it to the wrong answer, and now it won't let me post it to the right one. I even tried to delete or move it, and couldn't find a way to do that. So, I edited it and posted it with no text at all. Seemed like it would work, but it did the opposite of what I intended. Now that one's gone and it still won't let me post it here, it still says it's not a unique message. Well, with this additional paragraph maybe it finally will be a unique message.

I looked in the back. It doesn't have a usb input. However, it has a port labeled pc input that's the old-fashioned kind with screws on the side, one labeled hdmi that already has something plugged into it, and the tri-colored inputs for video and audio. It is hd.The model number is 42HP95. If it helps, there's something called a "chasis number" that's TAC516.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mmorgan0678 -
Here is a link to the manual - http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2846771&isFromTOCLink=false

Chapter 2 has good explanation of inputs.

You cannot use any of the newer dongle devices that plug in to a USB port because you do not have a USB port.

You can use any ROKU or other ancillary device with Netflix access to connect with any of he standard video connections - composite (SD); component(colorstream) or HDMI, both HD

Your computer can be connected using the pc port - note that a separate audio connection is required.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mmorgan0678 - RE: Does at&t offer something that's truly similar to netflix, pay one price per month and watch whatever movies you want?

Check out screen pack - on the TV Menu - on demand - uverse screen pack

http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse/screen-pack

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@mmorgan0678 wrote:

I meant to post that first reply to the other answer. Does at&t offer something that's truly similar to netflix, pay one price per month and watch whatever movies you want? Or is it strictly pay per movie? If the former, where do you find it in the menu? I haven't found it.

Yes!  U-Verse Screen Pak.  It is $5 a month.  Go to channel 9910 to learn more.  BUT, having looked at the offerings there and Netflix's streaming offerings, there is no comparison.  Netflix has more  / newer / better.  IMHO Screen Pack is more like the free Crackle service.  Crackle, like Netflix, is only going to be found on a third party device like a Smart TV, tablet and so on.

Look at current (unofficial) Netflix streaming offerings here.  Many more than Screen Pack.

Here is a Screen Pack review.   There are more "reviews" but most read like AT&T advertisements and make the service sound as good as Netflix.  The one plus is that you can watch directly from your U-Verse box.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

mmorgan0678 - I responded to your PM. Click on blinking blue envelope - upper right.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I didn't see it listed among the first set of answers, but the Google ChromeCast is an excellent device for under $40 that lets you stream Netflix, Hulu Plus and many other services. Just Google "chromecast"  It also lets you stream certain applications from your PC to your TV.  If you only have a single HDMI input jack, you might check around for an HDMI switch box to allow multiple inputs.  Some have a remote control, others are a manual (push button) switch box.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.