Reply
Posted Nov 23, 2011
5:01:06 PM
How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?
There have been all kinds of new "Apps" added to our channel line up over the last week or so. I now that Apps are supposed to be really neato and cool and all, but I do not want any of this crap. So, I have tried to hide these channels in my channel options, but they are all grayed out. It will not let me click on them to hide them. I do not know if that is just me, or if other people have this problem as well. In any case, how can I get these "App" channels ungrayed out so I can uncheck them from my active channel line up?
2,107 views
161 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(161)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 10:10:09 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

I never seem to look or worry about the apps except maybe yellowpages.com app. Now, on this setup I have HD and only look at  2 or more SD channels(TVLand and Encore Westerns). I don't understand why we have TVLand HD even though it's still a SD channel.  I have a few complaints on equipment but that's because I wished it could more. Maybe I should work on a competing Residential Gateway and Receiver.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

616 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 10:17:21 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

Pbert35 wrote:

 

I never seem to look or worry about the apps except maybe yellowpages.com app. Now, on this setup I have HD and only look at  2 or more SD channels(TVLand and Encore Westerns). I don't understand why we have TVLand HD even though it's still a SD channel.  I have a few complaints on equipment but that's because I wished it could more. Maybe I should work on a competing Residential Gateway and Receiver.


TVLand HD (channel 1138) is not an SD channel.  There are some programs broadcast on that channel in HD.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

613 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 10:57:59 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

I'd rather it a Full HD channel as opposed to a sometimes HD channel. Any chance of Encore Westerns ever getting an HD channel?


texasguy37 wrote:

Pbert35 wrote:

 

I never seem to look or worry about the apps except maybe yellowpages.com app. Now, on this setup I have HD and only look at  2 or more SD channels(TVLand and Encore Westerns). I don't understand why we have TVLand HD even though it's still a SD channel.  I have a few complaints on equipment but that's because I wished it could more. Maybe I should work on a competing Residential Gateway and Receiver.


TVLand HD (channel 1138) is not an SD channel.  There are some programs broadcast on that channel in HD.


 

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

608 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 11:01:21 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

Pbert35 wrote:

 

I'd rather it a Full HD channel as opposed to a sometimes HD channel. Any chance of Encore Westerns ever getting an HD channel? 


Considering that many of the old programs shown on that channel were not shot in HD, that will not happen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

603 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 11:34:37 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

Took the words right off my fingers, TG.

 

I guess the HD is good for the new, original programming, but so far I prefer the classics that were shot 20-30 years ago in good ole 4:3. :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

595 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 11:46:33 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

Pbert35 wrote:

 

I'd rather it a Full HD channel as opposed to a sometimes HD channel. Any chance of Encore Westerns ever getting an HD channel? 


Considering that many of the old programs shown on that channel were not shot in HD, that will not happen.


I'm sure it can, Tribune's AntennaTV is HD and all programs on it are older than HD. Well maybe it's time to pick up the national feed of  AntennaTV and then we don't have to worry about the local Digital subchannel.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

590 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2012 12:00:20 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

I also receive Antenna TV here in Dallas.  As with TVLand HD, the old programs are not broadcast in HD.  Your TV may be set to where the SD picture is stretched to fill the screen, thus you think it is broadcast in HD when it is actually broadcast in SD.  My TV is not set to stretch the SD picture on that channel, and I see the same black bars on both sides of the picture that I see when I watch a program broadcast in SD on TVLand HD.  

 

Also, the comment below is from the Wikipedia article found in the link below:

 

Antenna TV is an American digital broadcast television network, primarily featuring classic television series from the 1950s to the 1990s, along with some feature films. Most programming comes from the Sony Pictures Entertainment library. In the Fall of 2011, Antenna TV added a few shows from the Universal Studios library after those shows fell off RTV's schedule. It is owned by Tribune Broadcasting, a division of the Chicago-based Tribune Company. The network appears in several markets via digital subchannels of over-the-air broadcast television stations, and is available on select cable systems. The network broadcasts 24 hours a day in 480i standard definition.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_TV

 

I will repeat my comment from my earlier post.  The old programs broadcast on TVLand were not shot in HD, thus they cannot be broadcast in HD on TVLand HD.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

588 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2012 8:06:46 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

New for channel 87, Nicole Richie's Salon Smooth Look, but it can be hidden.  +1

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

560 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 6, 2013 2:16:10 PM
0
(0)
Tutor

No, the channels are not gone. ATT didn't listen and when I called support I finally got someone in 2nd level support who wanted me to powercycle the box but could not tell me why. He was obviously reading from a script even though he said he was looking up my information.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

395 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 6, 2013 3:22:05 PM
0
(0)
Professor
See the reply at http://forums.att.com/t5/U-Verse-General-Care-and-Support/OK-here-we-go-again-unhideable-APP-channel...
________________________________________________________________

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
________________________________________________________________

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

380 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 18, 2013 5:09:58 PM
0
(0)
Tutor

IT IS A VERY SIMPLE REQUEST FOR SOLUTION,,, remove the blanked out channels so they may be hidden. The obvious reason is that you force exposing when viewing GUIDE, as the most important issue is that you have  a FAVORITES which call for almost five clicks before achieveing, because you cannot set a wanted FAVORITE as default instead of a GUIDE with junk unwanted and unhideable channels.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

177 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 18, 2013 5:27:42 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

With the exception of one or two channels, all others can be hidden.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you hide all of the new "Apps"?

175 views
Share this post
Share this post