For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
tberry4301's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 20th, 2012 11:40 PM

new iphone 5 data usage

I just upgraded my phone from a blackberry to an i phone 5. My prior data plan was the lowest,  200mb per month and most months  on average I use around 40 mb.  I am just not a big user of my phone and since my work is home based, if I do use the web on it, it should be connecting to the wifi.    I just happened to check my usage for the new phone today, and was surprised to find that I have almost exceeded the 200mb in 4 days!  I've used it a little more since upgrading it because of the novelty, but was wondering why such a drastic increase.  Is it the phone?   if anyone had any thoughts on what is generating all this use I would appreciate i.  The itemized summary is showing that I am sending out 40,000+ kb at a time on a regular basis.  As I've said, I have not changed my data habits much, maybe a little more since its new but am baffled and worried about my bill.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:
still drops wifi when charging and going into hibernation. If oyu have a decent wi-fi router that has some diagnostics to show active connections you can verify this yourself. In addtion when the phone comes out of hibernation and you watch the symbols you will see it takes about a second for the wi-fi indicator to pop up, which also indicates the radio is off

This is not Apple's design or intention, so you should go to Apple and submit a bug report.  This does not happen for all iPhones, so it could be a hardware issue, or a specific software combination of things which causes it.  In any case, it is not the designed operating mode so it should be reported to Apple so that it can be repaired (software or hardware).

All of the developers at the company have submitted the issue about a 6 months ago - nothing heard about it, beginning to suspect it is intended. did a little more testing, it also occurs on the retina ipads, on the 3G/WIFI version it does the same thing and the WIFI only version stays connected. Going to pull a 3GS out of the junk box and check that one

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

There is most definitely a major problem with Iphone data usages as compared with Droid phones. Hundreds of MB difference for the same process running and same web usage. I recently switched from a Motorola. Atrix droid phone to an iPhone 5s. In only 5 days with zero change in habit. New phone didn't change my normal routine. Was over 400MB with very light browsing. Played couple short YouTube clips visited same web sites I always do everyday on my old droid. Email push is the same as my droid same with other settings as we'll. equivalent apps I use. Don't use any social media all off. I can surf the web and play 5x as much music, YouTube clips or netflix vids on my old droid than I can on this iPhone. Same carrier AT&T. Is it the operating system, compression issues or what with apple products? To suggest you haven't set up your settings properly is the only issue flatly wrong! Yes, there are settings and apps that will by default use a lot of data if not turned off managed but this is something entirely different. Even setup same on both phones, iPhones are bloated data hogs.
Not sure if this is an Apple issue, code, or carrier issue but something is wrong. I like the iPhone but am not a dedicated consumer like other must have iPhone junkies. If there is no addressing this problem I will go back to a droid product period

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

10 years ago

For all who are concerned about data usage while they "should" be connected to their home wi-fi, there's a very simple solution:  just go to "Settings" and turn off "cellular" while you're at home.  Then turn it back on when you're ready to leave home.  There's no way you can use data with cellular turned off.

I don't mean this as a permanent fix, but at least it will allow you to isolate the problem...

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

I don't happen to have specifics, but I do believe that somewhere it has been indicated that the iPhone does not do data compression on the network traffic. I don't know if any Android device offers this or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if none of them did.

iOS is not Android, so an app by the same name on both platforms will not have the exact same data usage.  The way apps download ads in the background is most likely very different.  I wouldn't even be surprised to see the Android app suspend it self entirely while in teh background, but the default iOS behavior would be to update itself so that you see the most current data (in this case ad) when you bring the app back into the foreground.

To claim that you have no usage changes when moving from Android to iOS is a streatch since they are entirely different opperating systems and therefore behave differently.  You just may not realize what you are dioing differently, or what the OS may be doing differently for you...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

IPhones use alot more data to do exactly the same thing with other devices.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.