The new iPhone 15
huij's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, August 1st, 2011 5:39 AM

iphone 4 bought in taiwan

hi all,

i bought my iphone 4 here in taiwan 5 months ago, under a 2 year contract on local 3G network.  due to job change, we are moving back to the u.s. this month.  it's not a problem to terminate my contract here, but i would like to keep the phone as it is practically brand new.  i'd like to know if and how i can use it for both voice and data in the u.s.  i'm not very tech savvy, so please be as specific as possible in your replies.  much appreciated!

huij

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

sorry for late reply

about the information for unlock

according to apple help page Locating iPhone wireless carriers

iphone sold by all carrier in Taiwan is unlocked

I also search for information in some taiwan forum, and it show that iphone sold by all carrier in Taiwan is unlocked.

if you still worry about that, you can ask your carrier CS rep (Chunghwa Telecom:)

In Taiwan :dial 800 on your mobile or 0800-080-090 on landline (toll-free)

Outside Taiwan :dial +886928000086 (IDD)

or fill the help form: http://www.cht.com.tw/CHTFinalE/Web/Service.php?CatID=266

alternately, you can lend others' sim cards and try for your self to ensure your phone isn't locked

(there's report that in hong kong, apple sold locked iphone as unlocked)

PS: [tw version iphone has model No. MC60xTA](x = 3 or 4 ,5 ,6)

china telecom is a cdma carrier in mainland china and don't sell iphone.

i think your carrier probably is chunghwa telecom (literally chinese telecom).

If not, please reply.

Guru

• 

659 Messages

13 years ago

You'll be able to use your iPhone 4 on AT&T for both data and voice by putting in an AT&T Micro-SIM card to your phone. Make SURE your phone is unlocked for use on all GSM carriers. Ask your carrier for details on unlocking.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

All tw version iphone 4 are unlocked
Just sign up for any GSM services (ATT, Tmobile, etc) in US and put the sim in the phone, and you can use it

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

thanks!

@karlcheong - really?  i'm surprised.  are you sure?

Guru

• 

659 Messages

13 years ago

@huij wrote:

thanks!

@karlcheong - really?  i'm surprised.  are you sure?

Yes! 😄

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

i'm with china telecom right now under contract.  are you sure it doesn't need to be unlocked?  forgive me for asking again, i just don't want to get home only to find out i can't use it.  thanks again!Smiley Happy

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

Your best bet for confirmation is to google "iPhone 4 unlocked Taiwan" and read the associated links.

Scholar

• 

176 Messages

13 years ago

Best answer. Call your carrier and ask if your phone is locked to them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

this is very helpful, thanks very much!  i am with chunghwa telecom, my mistake.  called their customer service and they seemed pretty clueless about lock or unlock.  so i'll go with the information on the apple support page.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.