Posted Mar 24, 2014
iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. You can click on Go To Solution at the bottom of this post to get all the information you may need. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and our Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
3-24-2014 1:36:38 PM
(0)

You may need to unlock your iPhone before it will work on another carrier's network. Devices bought from AT&T may be programmed with an IMEI (Subsidy) lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided your device is eligible, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

To unlock your iPhone, just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there. Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device at att.com/biz.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

- A current AT&T customer.

- A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

- Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term.

- Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.

- Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee (ETF)

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
  • Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks

• Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500.
  • Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
  • Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
  • In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.

AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests

Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

Important Note

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
315 replies
(5) Me too
(5) Me too
Replies
(315)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014
(0)

I know that you have to be a current or former AT&T customer but I need a little clarification.

I have a current post-paid account, out of contract already. I want to buy an iPhone 4s of ebay and want to unlock it. Will there be any issues since I am not the original owner of the iPhone? 

Re: iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2014
(0)

martin2014 wrote:

I know that you have to be a current or former AT&T customer but I need a little clarification.

I have a current post-paid account, out of contract already. I want to buy an iPhone 4s of ebay and want to unlock it. Will there be any issues since I am not the original owner of the iPhone? 

You may, or you may not.  If the iPhone you purchase is still under contract, you can not unlock it, even though your contract obligations have been met.  If the phone you purchase on eBay is not under contract, then as long as you have it active on your account for 60 days (2 months) then you should be able ot request an unlock for it using your account information, as long as you have already requested too many unlocks.  I believe that each customer is limited to 5 unlocks per year, so as long as you haven't already used your 5 unlock requests, and you have had the phone on your account for 60 days, then you should be able to get it unlocked (as long as the original owner's contract obligations have been met).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

I'd be careful of that in general, because ebay is a common place for the sale of stolen phones. Ideally, you may want to use someone with high reccomendations, but there's really no way to be 100% sure ahead of time.

-Alex

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

Hi There,

I am really hoping there might be somebody who could offer me some technical assistance.

I was in the states a while ago and whist there purchased a second hand phone to use that side. At the time I was using it on the AT&T Gophone Prepaid Services.

However, now that I am back home again (in South Africa) and  have it this side with me again I see I can not use it on any of the networks this side as it seems to be it is network locked to you guys over there, and thus it is pretty much useless to me.

After asking my local network providers what could be done to get the phone up and working on their networks this side again now that I am back,  they informed me that as it is still locked to your guys network, the best I can do is provide you guys with the details and kindly ask you guys to unlock it from your network that side, so that it might be open to be used on our networks this side, as there is no AT&T service providers this side as of yet.

Unfortunately I no longer remember the mobile number, but fortuanately I still have the sim card I bought the phone with and was using that side if that should help at all, as well as the phones IMEI number etc...

Phone Model:  Apple iPhone 4

Sim Card No is:

IEMI No is:

Any assistance what so ever in helping with this dillema would be greatly appreciated, as now I am sitting with one of the the worlds most technologically advanced, not to mention expensive, bricks... ai. :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:

Once Again,

Many Many Many Thanks in Advance,

Gary

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

loganic wrote:

I'd be careful of that in general, because ebay is a common place for the sale of stolen phones. Ideally, you may want to use someone with high reccomendations, but there's really no way to be 100% sure ahead of time.

-Alex

Regretfully buying any used technology is risky because there are too many people willing to steal then sell it off to someone else who is stuck with a device they can't use, and they can't get their money back.   At best they can turn the stolen merchandise into their local law enforcement authorities along with all the information and documentation about who sold it to them.  With any luck the authorities could remove one of the people selling the stolen stuff from the market and add them to prison...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

dextrosia wrote:

Hi There,

I am really hoping there might be somebody who could offer me some technical assistance.

I was in the states a while ago and whist there purchased a second hand phone to use that side. At the time I was using it on the AT&T Gophone Prepaid Services.

Since you purchased a second-hand device, you may not have much luck...

If the device is still under contract obligations from the original purchaser, then you will not be able to get it unlocked until that obligation is completed.  The fact that you used it for a while is promising that it wasn't reported as stolen...

Now, since you have used it as a gophone, and you are a former customer, you may qualify for an unlock.  You would need to have used the phone for 6 months on your gophone account, and your account would have to have closed in good standings in addition to the above in order for you to qualify for an unlock.  You can just go to the web page linked in the first few posts in this thread and fill out the information.  If you are missing the information, you could try calling the AT&T customer service group to help you to get the missing account information but filling out the web request form is the route you need to follow to get your phone unlocked.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

Hi There,

I wrote in earlier with a bit of a dillema, to which I got a prompt reply... Thank You!!
But now have hit another snag... oi vai!
Basically my problem is this, whilst overseas in the states a while ago I purchased a second hand phone to use on the AT&T Gophone Prepaid Network, which worked like a charm btw, thank you very much for that...

Long Story short though, being back home now again (South Africa) I have discovered that the phone (iphone 4) is networked locked to the AT&T network that side, ... ai..
Fortunantely though, you guys have been super, and provided me with a link in my previous post, where i could find and fill in a form to request it being unlocked... *yay*

However,... I have hit a bit of a snag....
I can no longer recall the exact number I was using that side anymore... and this seems to be required for the unlock form...
and seeing as there is no AT&T network this side for me to connect to here in South Africa, to recall my number again, I am totally stumped!!!

Fortunantely though I do still have the sim card that i was using whilst over there which I got with the phone, so i was wondering, is there any way to determine the number off of that???
or alternaitvely off the iccid or imsi numbers of the phone/sim card???

The details are as follows:
Phone Model:  Apple iPhone 4
Serial No:

IEMI No is:

Any any assistance what so ever in helping retrieve the number I was using that side would be an immense help, as I could then proceed to fill in the online form, and hopefully get convert my very expensive brick back into a fully functional phone again...

Once Again,
Many Many Many Thanks Again,
Gary

[edited for privacy - please do not personal information]

iPhone Gophone Unlocking Question for forgotten Number Abroad

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

Hey dextrosia,

I recommend you contact ATTCustomerCare who can research your account info/phone number for you

-Alex

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

I purchased an iphone 4s from a major bank.  I sent a request to AT&T to have my phone unlocked and it was denied.  I was a loyal AT&T customer for 10 years and left them several years ago after my contract expired.  They want me to give them the name and social of the person the phone was first issued to.  This is an unobtainable request.  It is my phone, I have no contract with nor obligation to AT&T.  I want MY PHONE UNLOCKED>>>>>

Re: Unlocked Phone APN Settings

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)
I was told it could take from 48hrs to 7 days to 18 monthes after the request is sent. Which one is it? & why does it take so long if att is such a good company which I think their not with the bad experiences of had thru them for the past 5yrs!?!?!?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

dextrosia wrote:

However,... I have hit a bit of a snag....
I can no longer recall the exact number I was using that side anymore... and this seems to be required for the unlock form...
and seeing as there is no AT&T network this side for me to connect to here in South Africa, to recall my number again, I am totally stumped!!!

Fortunantely though I do still have the sim card that i was using whilst over there which I got with the phone, so i was wondering, is there any way to determine the number off of that???
or alternaitvely off the iccid or imsi numbers of the phone/sim card???

If you put the SIM card in the iPhone, you should be able to go into:

Settings->Phone

To see the phone number that is associated with that SIM card.  When I do that with my current iPhone, I see my current phone number, and if I do that on my old iPhone 4, I see the number that I was using when that phone was active...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Re: iPhone Gophone Unlocking Question for forgotten Number Abroad

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)

The issue with iPhone unlocks is that Apple is the only company that can officially unlock an iPhone.  The problem that causes delays is that Apple will only perform the unlock when a carrier contacts them and provides them with the specific details needed to unlock a particular iPhone.  This means that AT&T (or Sprint, or Verizon, or T-Mobile, or O2, or Rogers, or ...) must use a specific process to notify Apple that a particular iPhone is now ready to be unlocked.  the whole process means that multiple companies have their own systems which must now communicate to each other, and those contact points tend to be error prone, so some requests get held up in those interfaces.  If there are no issues with the interfaces, then your unlock could be ready for you to perform the restore in iTunes within 1 business day.  If problems arise, it could take several days, or worse, it may require someone to manually get involved, and generall that will only happen once you try and fail, then notify your carrier of the problem.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2014
(0)
Hi, att sent me instructions how to unlock my iphone and it says I have to put my sim card in however I lost mine. What i have right now is a different carrier sim card.

How to unlock iphone without sim card?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014
(0)

The confirmation email says 48 hours but may take up to 5 business days. I received my approval email within minutes. Once the unlock is approved, you have to wait 24 hours for the Apple servers to be updated.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014
(0)

Andz2mai wrote:
Hi, att sent me instructions how to unlock my iphone and it says I have to put my sim card in however I lost mine. What i have right now is a different carrier sim card.

It doesn't have to be an AT&T SIM card to unlock, it can be any SIM card.

Re: How to unlock iphone without sim card?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2014
(0)

BruceAFigert wrote:

I purchased an iphone 4s from a major bank.  I sent a request to AT&T to have my phone unlocked and it was denied.  I was a loyal AT&T customer for 10 years and left them several years ago after my contract expired. 

Your timeline is a bit dubious.  An iPhone 4s can't be more than 30 months old, but you claim that you left AT&T several years ago, after your contract (a minuimum of 12 more months) expired. 

BruceAFigert wrote:

This is an unobtainable request. 

I think you may have answered your own question.

Re: Unlocked Phone APN Settings

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

Why would AT&T deny an unlock for a phone that is no longer in contract in good standing and owned by original owner. Seems like unnecessary hurdle

Unlocking iPhone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

From personal experience, I can think of only 4 potential reason, for customers who fit the description you've left.

1) You've recently gotten a phone on the respective line. If you have, it may take a few weeks before you're able to unlock another phone associated with that number.

2) It was reported lost/stolen, but then you found it. The researchers could notice that flag and deny it based on that.

3) There was other suspicious/fraudulent activity that may have associate with that device serial.

4) You've already requested a number of unlocks in the last year, and are ineligble for more.

-Alex

Re: Unlocking iPhone

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

So, I have a whole bunch of Gamestop credit and for those of you who are unaware they also sell phones. I was thinking of purchasing a iPhone 5S from them and according to Gamestop none of their phones are under contract and they said that I can just simply call AT&T and get it unlocked after I purchase it.

Well.... I wanted to make sure this was the case considering it's $500 so I tried calling my local AT&T branch NINE TIMES and no one ever answered so I called one a city over... no answer. I try another city and someone answers but they have no answer to my question and give me the number for customer support.

I call customer support but it keeps asking me to enter what number I'm calling about although I'm not calling about any number because I'm not a member. I just wanted to know if I would have any trouble getting it unlocked so I can use the GSM Carrier of my choice.

All this lead me here so if someone can maybe help me I'd be very appreciative.

Unlocking a used phone. [Please read]

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

komentra wrote:

So, I have a whole bunch of Gamestop credit and for those of you who are unaware they also sell phones. I was thinking of purchasing a iPhone 5S from them and according to Gamestop none of their phones are under contract and they said that I can just simply call AT&T and get it unlocked after I purchase it.

Well.... I wanted to make sure this was the case considering it's $500 so I tried calling my local AT&T branch NINE TIMES and no one ever answered so I called one a city over... no answer. I try another city and someone answers but they have no answer to my question and give me the number for customer support.

I call customer support but it keeps asking me to enter what number I'm calling about although I'm not calling about any number because I'm not a member. I just wanted to know if I would have any trouble getting it unlocked so I can use the GSM Carrier of my choice.

All this lead me here so if someone can maybe help me I'd be very appreciative.

att will only unlock a phone if you are a current or previous customer, pretty definate they will not unlock

Here is a link to the requirements

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Unlocking a used phone. [Please read]

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

If it was so easy, why wouldn't they just do it themselves? The phones are just sitting around anyways, right?

Like wingrider101 says, it's too good to be true.

-Alex

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

That's dissapointing. :smileysad: 

Oh well. Thanks everyone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2014
(0)

i bought an iphone 5c on amazon and its locked to att, how do i get it unlockd if i do not know the number previously used ? i know the imei number but not the cell number or the person's name associated with the device

please help

Unlocking iPhones

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 13, 2014
(0)

kenn189 wrote:

i bought an iphone 5c on amazon and its locked to att, how do i get it unlockd if i do not know the number previously used ? i know the imei number but not the cell number or the person's name associated with the device

please help

AT&T will not unlock your phone.  The person requesting the unlock must be a current AT&T customer or a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

Re: Unlocking iPhones

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 15, 2014
(0)

Hi, I have a iphone 4s from att and the contract expired after 2 yrs in Nov 2013. After that i switched to the gophone plan. I was trying to unlock the device since I'm traveling outside of the U.S. now but when I submitted the request it didn't go through because the device was recognized as a gophone device and I haven't had it for more than 6 months yet. Can you help me with this? Thanks.

Unlock IPhone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2014
(0)
same issue here :-(

Re: Unlock IPhone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2014
(0)

Hi,

My sister-in-law left her iPhone on a train in NYC and not expecting to ever see it again, she bought a new one. Weeks later someone found the phone, called and mailed it back to her. My wife was in the USA recently and her sister gave her the spare iPhone. My wife used it with a gophone SIM (which being AT&T worked fine) and hoping it would keep working, she bought it back to New Zealand. Unfortunately the phone was locked and doesn't work in NZ. My sister-in-law tried to unlock the phone through the AT&T page, but it was blocked twice.

It seems a shame to have an iPhone sitting here in NZ rendered useless, so does anyone know if and how I can have AT&T unlock it?

iPhone unlock blocked: Next step?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 16, 2014
(0)

jase81 wrote:

My sister-in-law left her iPhone on a train in NYC and not expecting to ever see it again, she bought a new one. Weeks later someone found the phone, called and mailed it back to her. My wife was in the USA recently and her sister gave her the spare iPhone. My wife used it with a gophone SIM (which being AT&T worked fine) and hoping it would keep working, she bought it back to New Zealand. Unfortunately the phone was locked and doesn't work in NZ. My sister-in-law tried to unlock the phone through the AT&T page, but it was blocked twice.

It seems a shame to have an iPhone sitting here in NZ rendered useless, so does anyone know if and how I can have AT&T unlock it?

Your sister-in-law should verify with AT&T that her phone is not blacklisted as a stolen phone.

Re: iPhone unlock blocked: Next step?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2014
(0)

To start, I was an AT&T subscriber for a long time, recently moved to TMobile. When I switched I easily used the "device unlock" portal to unlock my phone and take it to TMobile.

My friend has an iphone 4s he doesn't need anymore, and agreed to sell to me. He claims he is in good standing with it (I know it's been his phone all along), but when he tried to unlock it he got denied saying he had exceeded his allowed unlock attempts. 

My brother is a current AT&T subscriber with an iphone. Assuming the only reason my friend can't unlock his phone is because he screwed up and tried to unlock it too many times or something, could he sell it to my brother, and would my brother then be able to unlock it and sell it to me?

Reading back over this I realize it sounds kind of shady, but honestly I think my friend just screwed up somehow when trying to unlock his phone. I figure my brother can "just try it", but I don't want to accidentally mess up his contract or account. Any advice appreciated.

Unlock a used iphone?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 17, 2014
(0)

do you meet the following obligations?

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock is:
    • a current AT&T customer or
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network
  • All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and
  • The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Re: Unlock a used iphone?