Posted Mar 24, 2014
1:18:09 PM
iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. You can click on Go To Solution at the bottom of this post to get all the information you may need. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and our Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 24, 2014 1:36:38 PM
(0)
Community Manager

You may need to unlock your iPhone before it will work on another carrier's network. Devices bought from AT&T may be programmed with an IMEI (Subsidy) lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided your device is eligible, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

To unlock your iPhone, just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there. Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device at att.com/biz.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

- A current AT&T customer.

- A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

- Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term.

- Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.

- Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee (ETF)

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
  • Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks

• Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500.
  • Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
  • Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
  • In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.

AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests

Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

Important Note

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
435 replies
(7) Me too
(7) Me too
Replies
(435)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 1:44:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

well :smileysad: cant i register on at&t site right?? what i need to register there??

Re: pls help me! UNLOCK my iphone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 2:07:17 PM
(0)
Employee

You need an AT&T account to register for the att site, except for these forums.

Registering for the site doesn't change the unlock website.

-Alex

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 2:15:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

so who r not in USA them cant register there right?? just i cant sed request here

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 2:23:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
It is quite simple, if you are not an AT&T customer, you cannot get your phone unlocked. AT&T will only unlock phones for current or former customers AND the phone must have been on an AT&T account for a minimum time (or until your contract is complete, whichever is longer) before it can be unlocked, so no one can get the phone unlocked for you.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 2:29:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

i told im not in usa and im not amercan, then why ppl r sending this link to me, i dont understand... i cant send request there, heh funny :/ :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 2:50:45 PM
(0)
Expert

mysterious9 wrote:

i told im not in usa and im not amercan, then why ppl r sending this link to me, i dont understand... i cant send request there, heh funny :/ :smileysad:

fine if it evident you are not in the usa it is aslo evident that you are not and have never been a customer of att, tjey will not unlock your phpne - sell it on ebay

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 3:12:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

im not customer of att :smileysad: i bought already it on ebay and its blocked on att, i dont want sell it :smileysad: :'(

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 4:28:50 PM
(0)
Employee

The reason people give that website, is because that's the only way to unlock the phone.

You are not able to unlock the phone there.

If there is only one tool to unlock the phone, and you cannot use it, then you cannot unlock the phone.

Selling it may not be a bad idea, because then you can use the money to buy one that is already unlocked.

-Alex

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 5:09:27 PM
(0)
Scholar
It is not true that you are liable for two year payment. You are just responsible for the early termination fee that att will charge you on the bill.

There's nothing wrong with getting the phone and bring it over sea and use it and unlock it yourself. Is just that big company like att don't want customers to do that. It is no good business for the company.

Therefore, is not a crime. Even if you don't pay the bill, you will just be send to collection of your bill. So, you got nothing to worry about.

Re: Unlock IPhone 5s

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 5:12:25 PM
(0)
Scholar
You have to find someone who can help you unlock your iPhone by paying them. Those unlock are as good as the unlock service provided by att. But you will have to pay out of your own pocket.

Re: Please, help me to unlock my IPHONE 5

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 6:48:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Unlocking through "paying" means is ILLEGAL in the United States. The only way to LEGALLY unlock the phone is through the provider.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 6:55:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Amerikatk wrote:

Please, help me!!! You are my LAST HOPE!!!
I bought UNLOCKED iPhone(that's how it was said in AT&T store) in Troy, Alabama.
Then, I finished my year in the University and went back home. Now I need to unlock my "UNLOCKED" iPhone, so I could use it with Russian sim card. But official AT&T unlock portal doesn't let me unlock it and the reason is it sais in my request I put wrong information.
My guess is that when I bought phone, I didn't have SSN, so they didn't ask me to have it. And I just bought iPhone. Now I started unlock survey and they require me to put there my SSN. I put. After that I got 2 times email that info I put was wrong.
Please, advice me what I can do! I'm more than week can't get access to my phone!!!!
And also, from here, I can't even chat online with AT&T representative.
What should I do? I'm about start surveys to complain!!!!!

If you bought your iPhone on a contract subsidy, and you bought it on launch Day for the iPhone 5, then you have about 3.75 months until the original contract terms are fulfilled. You would have needed to buy your phone off contract or paid an ETF to be able to qualify for an unlock. 

If you had the phone for any length of time, you should have no problems remembering your old phone number (and you can always get it from the SIM card). I suggest that you contact customer care for assistance. 

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 8:30:32 PM
(0)
Scholar
That's not true. You should verify the legality of purchasing unlock code or unlock service for cellphone before you make that strong statement.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 8:53:04 PM
(0)
Master

guangzl1 wrote:
That's not true. You should verify the legality of purchasing unlock code or unlock service for cellphone before you make that strong statement.

Check out these links:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2102004/u-s-house-passes-bill-to-allow-cell-phone-unlocking-but-detai... - Not yet law!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/28/stupidest-law-illegal-to-unlock-your-phone

http://mashable.com/2013/12/12/u-s-wireless-carriers-agree-to-voluntary-unlock-policies-for-cellphon...

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 29, 2014 8:56:12 PM
(0)
Master

mysterious9 wrote:

im not customer of att :smileysad: i bought already it on ebay and its blocked on att, i dont want sell it :smileysad: :'(

ATT is the only one who can authorize the unlocking of your iPhone.  You DO NOT meet the criteria so you CAN NOT get your iphone unlocked.  Sell it and get one that is designed to work where you live!

If you choose not to sell your iPhone, you will have something that will not work except with ATT.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2014 12:53:12 PM
(0)
Employee

"Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment:Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

• Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
  • Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: when you Early Upgrade you must complete the 14 day Buyer’s Remorse Period on your new device before requesting your previous device be unlocked.
  • You should complete the unlock process before porting out your number for use with another carrier
  • Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

"

So, just like guangzl1 says, completion of the contract either via time, or fee is one of the obligations.

There is a minimum time period requirement, but it's not the full 2 years

quoted from www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Due to the time requirement 2-6months, Richmond Danis is also right that buying a phone outright from apple would probably work best

-Alex

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2014 1:21:34 PM
(0)
Scholar
Absolutely agree that you should just buy the phone outright. Why? Here's the explanation. When you get an att iphone, say you unlock it now, and no problem when you bring it over sea. However, when you have a problem with the phone and bring it to an apple store, and that your iPhone need to be swap out, then the new phone that just got swap out will be locked back to att again.

If you buy it directly from apple without locking to any carrier, then you won't have this problem ever.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 4:58:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi guys! I have an Iphone lock to At&t and I used to have a active prepaid SIM card while I was in US. I dont live in US anymore, and I try to request unlock in the website, but they denied my request. I believe is because my SIM is not active anymore. Am I able to unlock, trying to call the support, or is not possible? Does anybody has an idea of whats going on?

Cheers!

Unlock Iphone - prepaid SIM, not currently in US

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 5:26:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you had the iPhone on your account, it should be able to be unlocked. How long was the phone on your account? there is a minimum amount of time before the phone will be unlocked.
Why was you request denied?

Re: Unlock Iphone - prepaid SIM, not currently in US

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 9:49:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have this phone since oct last year and according to the terms and conditions the minimum is 6 months. the answer for my request was: "The information provided does not match the information on the account."

I imagine 2 possibilities, maybe can help you to help me: 1. I was actually using the SIM card for 4 months (because I moved to brazil and now UK and I still could get anything from it); 2. while here in UK, I'm using just with wifi, but I got a bluescreen and the Iphone died. I went to a apple store and they replaced my phone. maybe this new IMEI is not related with the prepaid number that I used to have... I'm totally lost with this

Re: Unlock Iphone - prepaid SIM, not currently in US

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 10:10:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

i have bought an iphone 5s from at and t without contract but that was locked to at and t network only.i am not having any working at and t network connection being in india.plss help me in unlocking my phone.plssss.

unlock iphone 5s without contract

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 10:34:56 AM
(0)
Master

parshant wrote:

i have bought an iphone 5s from at and t without contract but that was locked to at and t network only.i am not having any working at and t network connection being in india.plss help me in unlocking my phone.plssss.

Only Apple sells unlocked iPhones.  In the US, no contract and unlocked are NOT that same thing.  Fill out the form at the top of these forums and see if you qualify.  If not, return it if you are within your 14 day window and buy the right iphone for your network and/or buy it directly from Apple.  If you don't qualify and you are outside your return period, you are out of luck.  The iPhone you bought was designed and meant to be used on ATT's network.

Re: unlock iphone 5s without contract

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2014 12:16:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm Chinese life, the mobile phone is a friend sent me, but should not be used Chinese SIM card, I want to untie the network lock, please help me, sincerely thank you!

My name: Jiang H

Mobile phone IMEI ***

Sequence number, mobile phone: ***

I China mobile phone number:+***
My English is very poor, please help me, thank you!

[Edited for Privacy]

Please help me unlock iPhone4

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2014 5:26:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Only the person that had the phone on their account can get it unlocked. contact your friend and have them request the unlock.
AT&t will only unlock phones for current and former customers.

Re: Please help me unlock iPhone4

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2014 6:34:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

hello everyone, I have a question about unlocking iphone 4, well its belong to my uncle and he ask me if I can go to att and unlock it for him, and he is oversea right now, so I was wondering if att will do that, and if they do, is it possible to do it without the iphone, I do know the IMEI for the phone.  

unlock iphone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2014 8:11:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

thuanhuynh1988 wrote:

hello everyone, I have a question about unlocking iphone 4, well its belong to my uncle and he ask me if I can go to att and unlock it for him, and he is oversea right now, so I was wondering if att will do that, and if they do, is it possible to do it without the iphone, I do know the IMEI for the phone.  

The AT&T policy is fairly clear that to unlock a locked phone, you need to meet several requirements.  You need to be a current or former customer with no outstanding balances due to AT&T.  You need to have had the phone active on your account for a minimum of 2 months (it may be longer in some cases), and if the phone was purchased with a 2 year contract subsidy, then the contract must have been fully met, or the ETF must have been paid to void the contract.

As long as your uncle (or you) meet the requirements, then he (or you) can submit the unlock request via the web.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Re: unlock iphone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2014 9:35:02 PM
(0)
Guru

GeekBoy wrote:
As long as your uncle (or you) meet the requirements, then he (or you) can submit the unlock request via the web.

If you submit the unlock request, you also will need the wireless number, and the name, email address and last four digits of the SSN associated with his account.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 7:34:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

One more thing, his iphone4 is no longer in use since he just got an iphone5, but he takes his iphone4 oversea to use it, does it have to goes through the same procedure to unlock. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 8:14:28 AM
(0)
Master

thuanhuynh1988 wrote:

One more thing, his iphone4 is no longer in use since he just got an iphone5, but he takes his iphone4 oversea to use it, does it have to goes through the same procedure to unlock. 

To unlock and iPHone once authorized, you have to perform a restore to trigger the activation process that sends the unlock to the iPhone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2014 11:09:29 AM
(0)
Voyager

I just got iPhone 4S bought 2 or 3 years ago in at&t usa, I live in Croatia and I would like to unlock it to my network carrier. Can You help me with that? I tried with att Device Unlock Portal and nothing because maximum number of unlock requests... cheers

unlock iPhone