For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
ste718's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 18th, 2014 7:04 PM

How long does it take for Iphone 5 unlock to take effect?

The unlock request was submitted on 4/15/14 and was approved on 4/16/14. I did the restore and all the stuff they say to do. I then put my tmobile sim and it says sim invalid.

I called Apple and they said they have not received the unlock request from AT&T.

I am not an AT&T customer so I had the seller submit the request for me. So I have been having trouble talking to AT&T as some of the reps refuse to talk to non-customers. I finally got one on the phone that said the locked was approved but it may take up to 7 days for it to be processed.

Is that true? How long does it take?

I am basically phone less now because of this....

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Please visit Mobile Device Unlock Support Guide for complete details on processing time. Take a look at both the

I hope this helps!

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey ste718

The unlock happens immediately, as soon as you get the message during the restore process 'phone unlocked'. If you haven't gotten that then try it again

-Alex

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Alex,

I did the restore on but did not get the message that said iphone unlocked or something to that effect....

So you are saying after it is approved the phone will be automatically unlocked after the restore?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, that's right,it's unlocked immediately, as long as itunes says so.

Sometimes it takes a couple of days from the time you get the email for the itunes process to work and give you the respective message. Personally, I'd recommend trying it today, and trying it again Monday if it still doesnt work.

-Alex

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

You get the approval message when AT&T approves the unlock. Then, they send the unlock approval notice to Apple. Apple needs to update their server so that when you do the restore, the phone unlocks. It can take several days for the message to get from AT&T to Apple and then for Apple to update their server. They usually say allow 72 hours after the approval notice. If it has been longer than 72 hours, you need to contact AT&T to make sure that the approval was sent to Apple and that Apple received the notice.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

10 years ago

Did you do a factory restore, following the instructions here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414 ? Once you get the approval email you he a to wait 24 hours before restoring it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.