Posted Mar 24, 2014
1:18:09 PM
View profile
iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

How can I get my iPhone unlocked?

How long does this process take?

What are the requirements?

These and other related questions will be answered in this thread. You can click on Go To Solution at the bottom of this post to get all the information you may need. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here and our Community will be happy to help!

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 24, 2014 1:36:38 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Mar 24, 2014 at 1:57:08 PM

You may need to unlock your iPhone before it will work on another carrier's network. Devices bought from AT&T may be programmed with an IMEI (Subsidy) lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. AT&T will provide the necessary Unlock Code upon request, provided your device is eligible, and you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

To unlock your iPhone, just complete our simple online unlock request form and we'll take it from there. Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device at att.com/biz.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:

- A current AT&T customer.

- A former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account.

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full.
  • The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Customer-Specific Requirements

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with a Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

- Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term.

- Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies. Note: the customer must wait 14 days after the device upgrade has been completed to request an unlock of the previous device.

- Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee (ETF)

• Postpaid Phones and Tablets with no Service Commitment: Account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T).
  • Prepaid / GoPhones: Device has been active for at least 6 months.

Additional Information About AT&T Mobile Device Unlocks

• Business customers should make a request to unlock a business device by calling 800-331-0500.
  • Current customers will be allowed up to five (5) unlocks per account, per year.
  • Former customers will be allowed a total of five (5) unlocks per former account.
  • In addition, AT&T will unlock any AT&T Mobile Device for an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification.

AT&T Mobile Device Unlock Requests

Requests may complete within 48 hours but may take as long as 5 business days.

Important Note

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
544 replies
(9) Me too
(9) Me too
Replies
(544)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 7:18:39 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Apr 17, 2014 at 7:38:53 AM

Hi.. please help me. I live not in usa and i like to unlock my iphone 2g.

Thenkiu wery wery mouch.
Sorry my bad english.

[Personal Information Removed]

Re: iPhone Unlocking Questions and Discussion

[ Edited ]
91 of 545 (4,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 7:22:34 AM
(0)
Employee

do you meet the following obligations?

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock is:
    • a current AT&T customer or
    • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
  • The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network
  • All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and
  • The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.<------This seems to be your problem

Re: iPhone unlock blocked: Next step?

92 of 545 (4,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 7:41:38 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @jzeng2 

We can definitely take a look for you and help if there is an error. Please send us a private message by clicking here with your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Re: Unlock IPhone

93 of 545 (4,937 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 7:43:39 AM
(0)
Voyager

I'm not sure if my brother or I fulfill those requirements.

I am a former ATT subscriber, but this was never my phone or phone number while I was an ATT subscriber.

My brother is a current ATT subscriber, but he is not the original owner of this phone, and it is not his phone number nor ATT account.

If my brother buys this phone, puts his SIM card in it, and uses it on ATT's network, would he then be allowed to unlock the phone, by proving the IMEI of the used phone and his own phone number/account info?

Re: Unlock a used iphone?

94 of 545 (4,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 1:54:20 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks for the replies to my iPhone unlock. My sister set the phone status to "lost" through the app. I don't know what that means, but that's what she said. I'm assuming she means through Find My Phone. Is there any way she can mark it as "found" or change it back? Keep in mind the phone is in New Zealand, so taking it into a store is not an option.

Re: iPhone unlock blocked: Next step?

95 of 545 (4,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 12:04:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

The unlock request was submitted on 4/15/14 and was approved on 4/16/14. I did the restore and all the stuff they say to do. I then put my tmobile sim and it says sim invalid.

I called Apple and they said they have not received the unlock request from AT&T.

I am not an AT&T customer so I had the seller submit the request for me. So I have been having trouble talking to AT&T as some of the reps refuse to talk to non-customers. I finally got one on the phone that said the locked was approved but it may take up to 7 days for it to be processed.

Is that true? How long does it take?

I am basically phone less now because of this....

Thanks

How long does it take for Iphone 5 unlock to take effect?

96 of 545 (4,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 12:54:16 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey ste718

The unlock happens immediately, as soon as you get the message during the restore process 'phone unlocked'. If you haven't gotten that then try it again

-Alex

Re: How long does it take for Iphone 5 unlock to take effect?

97 of 545 (4,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 1:00:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

Alex,

I did the restore on but did not get the message that said iphone unlocked or something to that effect....

So you are saying after it is approved the phone will be automatically unlocked after the restore?

98 of 545 (4,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 1:20:01 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:20:26 PM

Yes, that's right,it's unlocked immediately, as long as itunes says so.

Sometimes it takes a couple of days from the time you get the email for the itunes process to work and give you the respective message. Personally, I'd recommend trying it today, and trying it again Monday if it still doesnt work.

-Alex

[ Edited ]
99 of 545 (4,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 1:28:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You get the approval message when AT&T approves the unlock. Then, they send the unlock approval notice to Apple. Apple needs to update their server so that when you do the restore, the phone unlocks. It can take several days for the message to get from AT&T to Apple and then for Apple to update their server. They usually say allow 72 hours after the approval notice. If it has been longer than 72 hours, you need to contact AT&T to make sure that the approval was sent to Apple and that Apple received the notice.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

100 of 545 (4,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 2:15:46 PM
(0)
Professor

Did you do a factory restore, following the instructions here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414 ? Once you get the approval email you he a to wait 24 hours before restoring it.

101 of 545 (4,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2014 3:02:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

I bought an used Iphone 4 in gamestop from At&t and want to unlock it but I don't have the previous phone number that AT&T need as a requierement for the process, what should I do?? THANKS!!!!

Unlock used Iphone

102 of 545 (4,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2014 3:22:55 PM
(0)
Employee

santiar007 wrote:

I bought an used Iphone 4 in gamestop from At&t and want to unlock it but I don't have the previous phone number that AT&T need as a requierement for the process, what should I do?? THANKS!!!!

Take it back to Gamestop. Even if you had the previous phone number, only the person who had or still has that phone number would qualify for the unlock. Sorry, but you don't meet the unlocking requirements. 

Re: Unlock used Iphone

103 of 545 (4,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2014 5:18:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have read all of these posts, but still have a question. I am a current ATt uverse customer, and I just bought an Iphone3gs from a coworker who is also an ATT customer. He attempted an unlock request and is stated info does not match account. I also tried using my info and got the same message. Any Ideas?

104 of 545 (4,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2014 5:42:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

swiley03 wrote:

I have read all of these posts, but still have a question. I am a current ATt uverse customer, and I just bought an Iphone3gs from a coworker who is also an ATT customer. He attempted an unlock request and is stated info does not match account. I also tried using my info and got the same message. Any Ideas?

Has the iPhone been active on either of your AT&T wireless accounts continuously for the last 60 days?  If not, then you don't meet the requierments for an unlock.  Since you mention that you have an AT&T U-Verse account, and not a wireless account, that would probably explain your failure.  How about your firend/coworker?  Have they had this phone active on their AT&T wireless account for 2 months?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

105 of 545 (4,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 10:48:31 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by swim084 on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:59:08 AM

I have a post paid account with ATT. If I buy a used iphone from Amazon.com, assuming that it's not a reported lost or stolen phone. Can I request to have that phone unlock since I am not the orginal owner? The problem is I don't know if the device satisfied all service commitment or not. I am thinking that anyone who gets rid of their phone either paid a termination fee (which is considered satisfying service commitment) or still under contract, but eventually the contract will end isn't it?

Can I request unlock iphone that I bought used from Amazon.com ?

[ Edited ]
106 of 545 (4,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 12:20:04 PM
(0)
Employee

swim084 wrote:

I have a post paid account with ATT. If I buy a used iphone from Amazon.com, assuming that it's not a reported lost or stolen phone. Can I request to have that phone unlock since I am not the orginal owner? The problem is I don't know if the device satisfied all service commitment or not. I am thinking that anyone who gets rid of their phone either paid a termination fee (which is considered satisfying service commitment) or still under contract, but eventually the contract will end isn't it?

Presuming it is not lost or stolen and not still under a commitment, I believe you will be able to get it unlocked once it has been used on your account for a period of time. I'm not sure what that period of time is but believe it is somewhere between 60 days and 6 months.

Re: Can I request unlock iphone that I bought used from Amazon.com ?

107 of 545 (4,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 12:17:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have an iPhone 4s that I bought on a post-paid contract from AT&T. I fulfilled the terms of the contract and the requirements for unlocking. I submitted an unlock request on 4/12 and received the unlock confirmaiton on 4/13. Also the unlock status page at http://www.att.com/deviceunlockstatus says "ATT Mobile Device Unlock Approved".

Note that the conformation mail says to allow 24 hours before attempting the restore procedure, however various messages in this thread state 48 hours, 72 hours, or 5 business days. I did not attempt the first restore until 4/19 and tried again on 4/23, whcih satisfies the longest of these periods.

Note that the instructions in the confirmation mail as well as in http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414 say to backup and restore but do not say to restore as new and then resotre from the backup, however other messages here say to restore as new first. In addtion http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014 says to erase first, then restore. I have attempted all 3 ways.

Despite waiting longer than the logest waiting time mentioned and doing the restore in all possible ways mentioned, when I restore the phone I do not get any message staing that the phone is unlocked. How do I go about further debugging the failure to unlock the phone?

No mesage about unlocking after restore

108 of 545 (4,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 5:43:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
AT&T approves the unlock and that is when you get the approval message. Then they send a message to Apple authorizing the unlock. Apple needs to update their servers so that when you do a backup and restore, it unlocks the phone. If you phone did not unlock, there is a communication failure somewhere. You will need to contact AT&T customer service and have them resend the unlock authorization to Apple. Either it didn't set sent, was not received by Apple, or got misplaced at Apple.,

Re: No mesage about unlocking after restore

109 of 545 (4,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 8:27:00 AM
(0)
Employee

kdfederer wrote:
AT&T approves the unlock and that is when you get the approval message. Then they send a message to Apple authorizing the unlock. Apple needs to update their servers so that when you do a backup and restore, it unlocks the phone. If you phone did not unlock, there is a communication failure somewhere. You will need to contact AT&T customer service and have them resend the unlock authorization to Apple. Either it didn't set sent, was not received by Apple, or got misplaced at Apple.,

Also, failure to get the unlock message in iTunes does not necessarily mean your phone was not unlocked. When I unlocked my iphone 4, I did not get the unlock message after following the backup/restore procedure but the phone did get unlocked since my daughter was able to use it on another network. The only way to know for sure is to put another carrier's sim in the phone and see if it gets service.

Re: No mesage about unlocking after restore

110 of 545 (4,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 4:48:10 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by wjlongnecker on Apr 25, 2014 at 5:17:32 AM

This is for an iPhone 4. On my *2nd request* (not sixth, I know there is a limit of 5 requests per account), this is the reject message I got:

"We cannot complete your request because this account has reached the maximum number of unlock requests allowed during a given period"

I called the support number to explain this and all they did was redo the request. It came back with the exact same error.

Now, understand this as well - I have only ever been an AT&T customer. All my phones were purchased straight off this very website. I own these through AT&T, and the service contact has ended. I own the phone I'm trying to unlock.

1. What can I do resolve this so I can unlock the phone?

2. Why is it so ridiculously difficult?

3. I'm not leaving AT&T, but I do need an unlocked phone because I travel the world and often need to buy local SIMs.

Unlock phone request unjustly denied

[ Edited ]
111 of 545 (4,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 6:19:47 AM
(0)
Master

wjlongnecker wrote:

This is for an iPhone 4. On my *2nd request* (not sixth, I know there is a limit of 5 requests per account), this is the reject message I got:

"We cannot complete your request because this account has reached the maximum number of unlock requests allowed during a given period"

I called the support number to explain this and all they did was redo the request. It came back with the exact same error.

Now, understand this as well - I have only ever been an AT&T customer. All my phones were purchased straight off this very website. I own these through AT&T, and the service contact has ended. I own the phone I'm trying to unlock.

1. What can I do resolve this so I can unlock the phone?

2. Why is it so ridiculously difficult?

3. I'm not leaving AT&T, but I do need an unlocked phone because I travel the world and often need to buy local SIMs.

Send a private message to ATTcustomercare and see if they can look into this further. https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Unlock phone request unjustly denied

112 of 545 (4,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 6:44:38 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by wjlongnecker on Apr 25, 2014 at 10:42:24 AM

I messaged them. Thanks.

Re: Unlock phone request unjustly denied

[ Edited ]
113 of 545 (4,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 7:58:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

I recently bought a used AT&T iPhone 4, but I need the original account holder's information (social security number and stuff like that) to unlock the phone. AT&T no longer encludes the "Non-customer" option in their unlocking page, so how can I get it unlocked?

Used iPhone 4, how can it be unlocked?

114 of 545 (4,598 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 4:05:40 AM
(0)
Professor

AT&T will only unlock a phone for a former or current account holder. Your only option is to go back to the person you got the phone from and ask them to submit the unlock request. 

Re: Used iPhone 4, how can it be unlocked?

115 of 545 (4,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 3:35:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

I bought an Iphone 4 from Amazon from a guy with 4.5 star rating called "IPhonesUK" the phone was suppose to brand new unlocked but on recieving the phone it is locked, I took to apple and they very kindly told me it was locked to your network.  They advised me to contact yourselfs to get the phone unlocked, they did say that due to the fact that I am not the orginal purchaser you might not help me but please could you as I bought the phone in good faith that the phone was brand new and unlocked, it was a birthday present for my son, I can provide all information from Amazon as proof of purchase and all details of contacting the seller with no response from him, I have try your process to get it unlocked but it just keeps coming up with system error please try again. Please can someone help, I would be very grateful.

Bought from Amazon iphone locked to AT&T suppose to be brand new unlocked

116 of 545 (4,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 5:36:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Talk to the person that sold you the phone, What he sold you was not as advertised. AT&T WILL NOT unlock phones for non-customers.
Only Apple sells new unlocked phones. AT&T doesn't sell unlocked phones.

Re: Bought from Amazon iphone locked to AT&T suppose to be brand new unlocked

117 of 545 (4,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 2:15:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bayview181 wrote:

I bought an Iphone 4 from Amazon from a guy with 4.5 star rating called "IPhonesUK" the phone was suppose to brand new unlocked but on recieving the phone it is locked, I took to apple and they very kindly told me it was locked to your network.  They advised me to contact yourselfs to get the phone unlocked, they did say that due to the fact that I am not the orginal purchaser you might not help me but please could you as I bought the phone in good faith that the phone was brand new and unlocked, it was a birthday present for my son, I can provide all information from Amazon as proof of purchase and all details of contacting the seller with no response from him, I have try your process to get it unlocked but it just keeps coming up with system error please try again. Please can someone help, I would be very grateful.

If the seller is not responding to your attempts to contact them, please contact the web site you purchased the phone through.  They should have something in place to handle things being sold not actually being what was advertised.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Re: Bought from Amazon iphone locked to AT&T suppose to be brand new unlocked

118 of 545 (4,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 4:55:40 AM
(0)
Contributor
I was just wondering how may I unlock the iPhone 4 I had purchased at Guam GameStop? I don't know the old number for this phone. am I still able to unlock it with you guys?

factory locked

119 of 545 (4,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 5:30:47 AM
(0)
Professor

robbeylurene wrote:
I was just wondering how may I unlock the iPhone 4 I had purchased at Guam GameStop? I don't know the old number for this phone. am I still able to unlock it with you guys?

AT&T will only unlock phones for current or previous AT&T customers.  If you aren't one, or don't have the original owner's account information, AT&T won't unlock the phone.

Re: factory locked

120 of 545 (4,312 Views)